Recipe for Miso Soup?

Discussion in 'Food and Recipe' started by Ragman, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Sandi, my wife, keeps asking me to find the best recipe for Miso soup.

Anyone here have one they'd like to share?

It can't be that difficult to make, but I told her I would ask the best!

Thanks!

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Patty has a recipe. I will forward this to her.

3. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Speaking of which...TJ, Patty asked for the soto recipe. Can you post it here? She can get hers and give Tom his. What a trade!

4. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Nevermind TJ. Got it.

SOTO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Classic Indonesian chicken soup.

1/3 cup peeled garlic cloves
    1 cup sliced shallots
    1/4 cup salted, roasted macadamia nuts or blanched almonds
    6 thin slices (the size of a quarter) fresh galangal or fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 tablespoon salad oil
    2 1/2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth
    1 stalk (12 to 15 in.) fresh lemon grass or 3 strips (1/2 by 4 in.) lemon peel, yellow part only
    1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned chicken breasts, rinsed
    4 to 6 ounces dried bean thread noodles (saifun)
    Salt and pepper
    3 cups finely shredded cabbage
    3 cups bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
    1 cup thinly sliced green onions, including tops
    1 cup diced Roma tomatoes
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    4 hard-cooked large eggs, shelled and cut into wedges
    2 cups potato chips or shrimp chips (optional)
    1/2 cup fried shallots
    Lime wedges
    Chili sambal, Asian red chili paste, or minced fresh hot chilies

1. In a food processor, combine garlic, sliced shallots, macadamia nuts, galangal, and turmeric. Whirl mixture to a paste, scraping container sides as needed. (Or chop ingredients with a knife, then whirl in a blender to a paste.)

2. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, stir the paste and the oil until mixture barely begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in broth, cover, and bring to a boil.

3. Meanwhile, trim stem end and any tough leaves off lemon grass and pull off coarse outer layer. Crush stalk with the back of a knife, then cut into 3-inch pieces. Add to broth.

4. Add chicken breasts to broth. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the breasts are no longer pink in center of thickest part (cut to test), 15 to 20 minutes. Lift out chicken and let cool at least 10 minutes. Skim fat from broth. (Or if making ahead, cover and chill the broth and the chicken separately. Lift off and discard fat from the chilled broth.)

5. In a bowl, pour 5 cups hot water over bean thread noodles. Let stand until the noodles are tender to bite, about 5 minutes; drain. If desired, snip through noodles with scissors to make shorter strands.

6. Season broth with salt and pepper to taste. Return to a boil over high heat.

7. Tear the chicken into shreds. In individual small bowls, mound shredded chicken, bean thread noodles, cabbage, bean sprouts, green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, egg wedges, potato chips, fried shallots, lime wedges, and chili sambal. Pour hot broth into a tureen or pitcher.

8. Let guests place desired portions of the chicken, noodles, cabbage, bean sprouts, green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and eggs in wide bowls. Ladle or pour hot broth into bowls. Sprinkle with potato chips and fried shallots. Add juice from lime wedges, chili sambal, and more salt and pepper to taste.

5. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Tell Patty thanks for me!

6. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Hey Pope! Is this the miso recipe or are SOTO and MISO different!

Excuse my ignorance!

Thanks!

Nevermind TJ. Got it.

SOTO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Classic Indonesian chicken soup.

1/3 cup peeled garlic cloves
    1 cup sliced shallots
    1/4 cup salted, roasted macadamia nuts or blanched almonds
    6 thin slices (the size of a quarter) fresh galangal or fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 tablespoon salad oil
    2 1/2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth
    1 stalk (12 to 15 in.) fresh lemon grass or 3 strips (1/2 by 4 in.) lemon peel, yellow part only
    1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned chicken breasts, rinsed
    4 to 6 ounces dried bean thread noodles (saifun)
    Salt and pepper
    3 cups finely shredded cabbage
    3 cups bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
    1 cup thinly sliced green onions, including tops
    1 cup diced Roma tomatoes
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    4 hard-cooked large eggs, shelled and cut into wedges
    2 cups potato chips or shrimp chips (optional)
    1/2 cup fried shallots
    Lime wedges
    Chili sambal, Asian red chili paste, or minced fresh hot chilies

1. In a food processor, combine garlic, sliced shallots, macadamia nuts, galangal, and turmeric. Whirl mixture to a paste, scraping container sides as needed. (Or chop ingredients with a knife, then whirl in a blender to a paste.)

2. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, stir the paste and the oil until mixture barely begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in broth, cover, and bring to a boil.

3. Meanwhile, trim stem end and any tough leaves off lemon grass and pull off coarse outer layer. Crush stalk with the back of a knife, then cut into 3-inch pieces. Add to broth.

4. Add chicken breasts to broth. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the breasts are no longer pink in center of thickest part (cut to test), 15 to 20 minutes. Lift out chicken and let cool at least 10 minutes. Skim fat from broth. (Or if making ahead, cover and chill the broth and the chicken separately. Lift off and discard fat from the chilled broth.)

5. In a bowl, pour 5 cups hot water over bean thread noodles. Let stand until the noodles are tender to bite, about 5 minutes; drain. If desired, snip through noodles with scissors to make shorter strands.

6. Season broth with salt and pepper to taste. Return to a boil over high heat.

7. Tear the chicken into shreds. In individual small bowls, mound shredded chicken, bean thread noodles, cabbage, bean sprouts, green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, egg wedges, potato chips, fried shallots, lime wedges, and chili sambal. Pour hot broth into a tureen or pitcher.

8. Let guests place desired portions of the chicken, noodles, cabbage, bean sprouts, green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and eggs in wide bowls. Ladle or pour hot broth into bowls. Sprinkle with potato chips and fried shallots. Add juice from lime wedges, chili sambal, and more salt and pepper to taste.

7. Pope

Pope Senior Member

No. MISO is different. She hasn't responded? I will ask again.

8. Pope

Pope Senior Member

1 hour 30 min prep

To Make DASHI
    2 pieces dried kelp, kombo (2-3 inch piece)
    6 cups cold water
    1 cup packaged dried tuna bonito flakes (KATSO BUSHI)

To Make MISO
    1/2 cup dried wakame seaweed (a type of seaweed)
    1/4 cup shiro miso (white/yellow fermented soy bean paste)
    6 cups dashi
    1/2 lb soft tofu, drained and cut into 1/2 cubes
    1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (scallions)
    1/2 cup chopped baby bok choy (optional)
    1/4 cup bean sprouts (optional)
    1/4 cup julienned carrots (optional)
    12-18 individual snow peas (optional)
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce

Prepare Dashi as follows.

Wipe any sand or salt from the Kombo with a damp cloth.
    Bring Kombo and water to a boil in a large pot over high heat.
    Remove Kombo with tongs and discard.
    Remove pot from heat and sprinkle Katso Bushi flakes over liquid in pot and let stand for 3 minutes.
    Pour"broth" through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into another large pot, discard the Katso Bushi (tuna flakes).
    Dashi is now made.
    Prepare Miso soup as follows.
    Reconstitute Wakame by covering in warm water for about 15 minutes, drain and cut into strips.
    Stir together the Miso paste and about 1/2 cup of Dashi in a bowl until smooth, set aside.
    Re-heat remaining Dashi over high heat, add baby bok choy, bean sprouts, carrots, snow peas, crushed red pepper, and soy sauce.
    Cook until veges are soft but still crisp.
    Add Wakame strips and tofu and simmer for one minute.
    Remove from heat and immediately stir in Miso/Dashi mixture and green onions.
    Stir and serve immediately.
    I realize I don't have the ingredients in the order that they are used, sorry about that, but I think you will quickly get the hang of it.
    Do give this a try, you will see that although it looks complicated, it is very simple.

9. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

:eek: You eat bonita?????

:D I eat bait too!
    Thanks for an authentic recipe without the more Americanized chicken or beef broth. I judge a restaurant by the Miso soup they serve.

10. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Excellent, and thanks!

Might get lucky tonight!

11. Pope

Pope Senior Member

You guys are welcome. Now when you guys cook this, I want to be invited over!:)