Rattletrap reel (bft)?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by word-doctor, Nov 30, 2008.

1. word-doctor

word-doctor Senior Member

It seems like during a surface bite, the guys using rattletraps do very well on BFT; probably get as many as jigging, and definitely a higher class of fish on top. I have a decent rod (7 1/2' Kunnan, rated up to a stout 30#), but am looking at reels with levelwinds. Calcutta 400 or Luna 300 would be the natural choices, but more than I'd care to spend for a specialized application. I'm thinking about an Abu 6500 EXT: it has a one-piece frame and can easily make 12#s of drag. Fish it with 40 or 50# braid.

Any other options? Smaller spinners? Thanks in advance.

2. etan

etan Senior Member

Yellowfin like to eat rattletraps also. I've caught more yellowfin than blackfin on rattletraps. Don't go to a gunfight with a knife!

3. word-doctor

I certainly agree. Problem is that I can't throw a trap with a Spheros 14K!

Yellowfin like to eat rattletraps also. I've caught more yellowfin than blackfin on rattletraps. Don't go to a gunfight with a knife!

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

do you really want to catch blackfin when there is a possibility of yellowfin?? i would think you'd aim high and catch the little blackfin as a side bonus :)

5. word-doctor

Yes--and I've got the fever somethin' fierce after my last trip. But there are times when the BF are there on top and the yellows ain't...

And as a pragmatist who eats fish, I'll take whatever's there.

do you really want to catch blackfin when there is a possibility of yellowfin?? i would think you'd aim high and catch the little blackfin as a side bonus :)

Attached Files:

6. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I certainly agree. Problem is that I can't throw a trap with a Spheros 14K!

Why not -- is distance the problem?

7. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I just bought an Abu-Garcia Revo Inshore for reds/ striper/ blackfin
    put it on a 7' Allstar 12-30# gt40-x rod and spooled it up w/ 50# Powerpro
    it held 175 yards, and advertises 24#'s drag. It cost $155 N.I.B. off Ebay
    Let the fun begin!
    -Brian

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I also wonder why your spinner will not cast a rattle trap well. If you need a new spinner reel for a decent price, look at the saragosas or a Cabo 60, 70, or 80 (the Cabos are very affordable). Many people use a Cabo 80, but a Cabo 60 has the same line capacity as Stella 8000.

I think there is a larger rattle trap that has a thru wire. Replace the hooks with Owners of similar size and you are ready to put up a decent fight with a YFT if a YFT hits.

9. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i second the revo. lots of available drag and excellent gearing system. i understand the spinner deal with a trap. Revo has one reel called the winch that has lower gearing for more cranking power.

10. word-doctor

Thanks for the input. The traps that guys were using were smallish--maybe 3". Too small to throw with 65# braid... and since I was on La Pesca I had an extra long topshot.

I certainly looked at the Revo. I like the round EXT, in part because it's a 1 piece frame.

The real answer, though, is to use bigger traps with a shorter topshot and spend what I save on another trip.

11. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I kno Tsunami has a 4", 1oz rattletrap...and I think Stillwater makes one as well if weight is your problem

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Why not just throw a Braid Maruder or Yozuri "bonito" lure?

d-a

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

w-d....thats a nice trigger fish :)

14. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Are the large Salt water rattle traps through wire?
    I've held them to light but can't tell?

k2

15. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Are the large Salt water rattle traps through wire?
    I've held them to light but can't tell?

k2

I am pretty sure they are, but double check. Buy the ones in the plastic case. The packaging should clarify the thru wire. I always have one of the large rattle traps with me but forget to launch it.

16. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Calcutta 400 is a great reel for throwing rattle trap to bf and smaller yf. It is a lot more interesting to catch bf on light gear, and when you hook one over 20lb. you will enjoy the fight. It is also a good beginners light jigging reel. The humble bf is a quality food fish. Exellent fresh sashimi. And smoked and vaccume bagged it last up to a year in freezer.

17. word-doctor

Thanks, guys. I think my first step is to find some good/heavy traps; it may be that I can throw them with my jigging setup (sealine). I like the leveler, though...

Might be time for a smaller heavy duty spinner (or see how the browning mitchell does with braid!!)

18. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

the 1.5 oz mag traps are through wire. Caught big redfish on them. You want the mag trap.