360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like during a surface bite, the guys using rattletraps do very well on BFT; probably get as many as jigging, and definitely a higher class of fish on top. I have a decent rod (7 1/2' Kunnan, rated up to a stout 30#), but am looking at reels with levelwinds. Calcutta 400 or Luna 300 would be the natural choices, but more than I'd care to spend for a specialized application. I'm thinking about an Abu 6500 EXT: it has a one-piece frame and can easily make 12#s of drag. Fish it with 40 or 50# braid.

Any other options? Smaller spinners? Thanks in advance.

·
821 Posts
Yellowfin like to eat rattletraps also. I've caught more yellowfin than blackfin on rattletraps. Don't go to a gunfight with a knife!

·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly agree. Problem is that I can't throw a trap with a Spheros 14K!

Yellowfin like to eat rattletraps also. I've caught more yellowfin than blackfin on rattletraps. Don't go to a gunfight with a knife!

G

·
do you really want to catch blackfin when there is a possibility of yellowfin?? i would think you'd aim high and catch the little blackfin as a side bonus :)

·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes--and I've got the fever somethin' fierce after my last trip. But there are times when the BF are there on top and the yellows ain't...

And as a pragmatist who eats fish, I'll take whatever's there.

do you really want to catch blackfin when there is a possibility of yellowfin?? i would think you'd aim high and catch the little blackfin as a side bonus :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,215 Posts
I just bought an Abu-Garcia Revo Inshore for reds/ striper/ blackfin
put it on a 7' Allstar 12-30# gt40-x rod and spooled it up w/ 50# Powerpro
it held 175 yards, and advertises 24#'s drag. It cost $155 N.I.B. off Ebay
Let the fun begin!
-Brian

·
1,025 Posts
I also wonder why your spinner will not cast a rattle trap well. If you need a new spinner reel for a decent price, look at the saragosas or a Cabo 60, 70, or 80 (the Cabos are very affordable). Many people use a Cabo 80, but a Cabo 60 has the same line capacity as Stella 8000.

I think there is a larger rattle trap that has a thru wire. Replace the hooks with Owners of similar size and you are ready to put up a decent fight with a YFT if a YFT hits.

·
2,024 Posts
i second the revo. lots of available drag and excellent gearing system. i understand the spinner deal with a trap. Revo has one reel called the winch that has lower gearing for more cranking power.

·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input. The traps that guys were using were smallish--maybe 3". Too small to throw with 65# braid... and since I was on La Pesca I had an extra long topshot.

I certainly looked at the Revo. I like the round EXT, in part because it's a 1 piece frame.

The real answer, though, is to use bigger traps with a shorter topshot and spend what I save on another trip.

·
5,457 Posts
Why not just throw a Braid Maruder or Yozuri "bonito" lure?

d-a

·
1,025 Posts
Are the large Salt water rattle traps through wire?
I've held them to light but can't tell?

k2

I am pretty sure they are, but double check. Buy the ones in the plastic case. The packaging should clarify the thru wire. I always have one of the large rattle traps with me but forget to launch it.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Calcutta 400 is a great reel for throwing rattle trap to bf and smaller yf. It is a lot more interesting to catch bf on light gear, and when you hook one over 20lb. you will enjoy the fight. It is also a good beginners light jigging reel. The humble bf is a quality food fish. Exellent fresh sashimi. And smoked and vaccume bagged it last up to a year in freezer.

·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, guys. I think my first step is to find some good/heavy traps; it may be that I can throw them with my jigging setup (sealine). I like the leveler, though...

Might be time for a smaller heavy duty spinner (or see how the browning mitchell does with braid!!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts