360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had any success with the stock hooks and split rings on this lure? my target will be bluefin in the 80-150lb class.

if either are not up to snuff what would you reccomend? i have gami 4x 2/0 trebels and mustad 3x 3/0 trebels.

i have no split rings above what are on the subwalks. would trying to crimp or tie the hook on with 200lb mono work?

last minute makes for desperate decisions...

·
1,541 Posts
I would not use anything stock on a rapala on big tuna, or even small tuna for that matter. If you can get your hands on some owner hyper wire even size 8 split rings or bigger, or some spro split rings 150lbs (230lbs would be better) You'll fare much better than the stock split rings.

If youre in a heavy pinch crimping a small piece of heavy mono or using an assist hook is not out of the question. Definetely crimp the 200 or heavier mono very short.

The 2/0 gamis a little smaller than id go with, i usually go with miniimum 4/0 preferrably 5/0. See if you can get your hands on some soon. Owner ST66 4/0 or 5/0 would do the job, so would owner or gami siwash 8/0 and bigger

·
1,579 Posts
I plan to test Rapala X-Rap for YFT and BFT. I changed the split rings and hooks out. I am unsure if the bigger hooks/rings will effect action of the lure but we will see.

·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any suggestions on orientation of crimp? like try to make a loop mono in on opposite sides or mono in on the same side of the crimp

·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so a quick test with my 50lb scale...
stock hooks bent at around 40lbs at the middle of the curve of the hook and a 1/4" loop of 200lb mono crimped held fine. stock split rings also held up fine at 50lbs. mustad 3/0 3x hooks also held up fine. gami 2/0 4x bent slightly but held.

·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i jsut found another option. i have some 100lb split rings.

100lb split rings vs. 200lb crimped mono?

·
146 Posts
Last year I used a stock x-rap and the hooks bent on fish as little as 50pnd.
I changed the hooks and rings to heavy duty and so far with about 3 to 4 tuna I haven't had any problems all approx 40 to 50pnd.
As a matter of fact my green x-rap 30foot deep diver would be my best lure,it has pretty much caught fish on every trip.

·
235 Posts
Up here in the NE I change out the hooks on the XRaps to either Gammie or Owner 4X 4/0s. I also only use a rear hook which avoids foul hooking fish during a fight or hooking the leader man when trying to release the fish. This was a very effective lure in the Gulf of Maine last year.

·
146 Posts
Up here in the NE I change out the hooks on the XRaps to either Gammie or Owner 4X 4/0s. I also only use a rear hook which avoids foul hooking fish during a fight or hooking the leader man when trying to release the fish. This was a very effective lure in the Gulf of Maine last year.

How was your hook up rate with the single rear hook.
I was thinking of doing the same or trying to fit single hooks like the killer vib.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts