Rapala X-RAP sub walk 15 hooks

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Jrzrider83, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

has anyone had any success with the stock hooks and split rings on this lure? my target will be bluefin in the 80-150lb class.

if either are not up to snuff what would you reccomend? i have gami 4x 2/0 trebels and mustad 3x 3/0 trebels.

i have no split rings above what are on the subwalks. would trying to crimp or tie the hook on with 200lb mono work?

last minute makes for desperate decisions...

2. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I would not use anything stock on a rapala on big tuna, or even small tuna for that matter. If you can get your hands on some owner hyper wire even size 8 split rings or bigger, or some spro split rings 150lbs (230lbs would be better) You'll fare much better than the stock split rings.

If youre in a heavy pinch crimping a small piece of heavy mono or using an assist hook is not out of the question. Definetely crimp the 200 or heavier mono very short.

The 2/0 gamis a little smaller than id go with, i usually go with miniimum 4/0 preferrably 5/0. See if you can get your hands on some soon. Owner ST66 4/0 or 5/0 would do the job, so would owner or gami siwash 8/0 and bigger

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I plan to test Rapala X-Rap for YFT and BFT. I changed the split rings and hooks out. I am unsure if the bigger hooks/rings will effect action of the lure but we will see.

4. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

yeah i pretty much got what i got and i am headded to hatteras at 2am tomorrow

5. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

any suggestions on orientation of crimp? like try to make a loop mono in on opposite sides or mono in on the same side of the crimp

6. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

so a quick test with my 50lb scale...
    stock hooks bent at around 40lbs at the middle of the curve of the hook and a 1/4" loop of 200lb mono crimped held fine. stock split rings also held up fine at 50lbs. mustad 3/0 3x hooks also held up fine. gami 2/0 4x bent slightly but held.

7. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

i jsut found another option. i have some 100lb split rings.

100lb split rings vs. 200lb crimped mono?

8. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Last year I used a stock x-rap and the hooks bent on fish as little as 50pnd.
    I changed the hooks and rings to heavy duty and so far with about 3 to 4 tuna I haven't had any problems all approx 40 to 50pnd.
    As a matter of fact my green x-rap 30foot deep diver would be my best lure,it has pretty much caught fish on every trip.

9. FullStrike

FullStrike Senior Member

Up here in the NE I change out the hooks on the XRaps to either Gammie or Owner 4X 4/0s. I also only use a rear hook which avoids foul hooking fish during a fight or hooking the leader man when trying to release the fish. This was a very effective lure in the Gulf of Maine last year.

10. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Up here in the NE I change out the hooks on the XRaps to either Gammie or Owner 4X 4/0s. I also only use a rear hook which avoids foul hooking fish during a fight or hooking the leader man when trying to release the fish. This was a very effective lure in the Gulf of Maine last year.

How was your hook up rate with the single rear hook.
    I was thinking of doing the same or trying to fit single hooks like the killer vib.