Rail Spots on the Yankee Capts.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by jon holsenbeck, Apr 5, 2020.

1. jon holsenbeck

jon holsenbeck Well-Known Member

I've decided that when (or should I say if) I get my stimulus check from the govt. I'm going to pay for my jig order from Ray S. and then book a Halfway Ledge or Pulley Lite trip on the Yankee Capts sometime between Nov. and Jan. of this upcoming winter. I've noticed there are quite a few open spots on these trips and wonder which spots you prefer to be in .- I can even get spot 30 in the pulpit or spot 9 on the stern corner on these trips. Which spots do you like the best and which ones are your next most liked ones? I'll be both bait fishing and jigging on the trip I go on, so if you were in my shoes which spot would you take? Also, do you like the Pulley Ridge Lite trips or the Halfway Ledge trips better?

2. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Jigging - spot 30 in the pulpit

Bait - spot 9 on the stern

tugasangler and a1flyfishr like this.

3. Tidetraveller

Tidetraveller Senior Member

Up front for jigging.

4. jon holsenbeck

If I'm in spot 30 in the pulpit, is it bad etiquette if I fish bait when I get tired of jigging, or should I just move somewhere else?

5. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

The decision is really based on how much jigging you plan to do.
    If its going to be a jig or die trip, where you might continue
    to jig for several hours, catching nothing, while others catch fish with bait,
    and you stick with jig, determined to catch a couple on jig no matter what,
    then the bow is your choice.

If you are going to jig a little while, and if its not productive
    you are going to switch over to bait to fill your cooler,
    or start with bait, then switch to jig if you see them eating metal.
    Then a stern spot is probably your best choice,
    and go find a spot in the bow when you want to jig for a few minutes.

You are going to pay more of a physical price fishing in the bow
    on a rough day.

tugasangler and esgeo like this.
  6. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known Member

On a Pulley Lite or Halfway trip, the sea anchor is off the stern, so the boat drifts toward the bow. If you are proficient at jigging, or at least casting a jig further away from the bow, then I would agree that the bow is right for you to jig from. The main reason why I like the bow, generally, over other spots is because I'm only dealing with a couple of lines other than my own. It's much more manageable.

The boat will change its drift direction when the tide changes. Sometimes it will drift slightly to the starboard, sometimes slightly to port, but it will always be drifting in the general stern to bow direction. So, you're going to need to be able to adapt when the conditions change.

If you fish bait from the bow, your line will run from bow to stern, with approximately 20 other lines for you to get tangled with. The bow rails are also slightly higher than the rail on the rest of the boat. If you are not 6ft tall, you are going to need to do some gymnastics to effectively jig up there. You will also not have a place to sit if you get tired. You will also be completely exposed to the sun and anything else that comes your way up there. You will need to be able to effectively navigate the anchor, which gets fun when a big fish runs you around, and you will need to deal with the anchor chain, which runs down the center of the pulpit.

That being said, I have had banner days on the bow. However, the best catching trip I ever had on the boat, which was a Pulley-Lite, I fished on the up-current side of the drift, away from almost everyone, and under the shade of the overhang. I didn't get burned, could sit when I wanted, and crushed fish.

7. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

This question depends more on you than anything else . Your first trip you’ll probably spend most of it learning and honestly very little that anyone here tells you will change that . Just try to have a good time and catch fish and remember it’s a marathon so as not to wear yourself out . Also in the winter the bow is very very hard to deal with at times .

8. cudaman

cudaman Senior Member

You will catch fish from any spot on the boat. You just have to make sure you reach the bottom and that your bait or jig stays in that zone. These trips are drifting trips so if fishing bait use enough weight to reach and stay at the bottom, leave your spool on freeline and let it out as much as your reel can handle (you'll know when a fish grabs it and runs). If you are fishing with jigs use 50 lb braid or less and 200g to 400g jigs to make sure you stay jigging near the bottom. If you are not sure if your jig is not reaching bottom then it is not heavy enough.

It is a learning curve. People here will tell you 100 different ways, you will figure it out in your trip, just don't sleep too much so you can catch more.

Another thing, regardless of where you fish leave one rod in one of the bow's rod holders ready to pitch baits. It's easier to get there quickly than to go upstairs to get it.

Good luck

tugasangler, jiggingnut and explorer like this.
  9. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Don't be that guy.

A rotation develops in the bow,
    cast and follow down the rail,
    reel up, and repeat.

An unused spot saving rod,
    gets tossed on the deck in my part of the world.

lite-liner likes this.
  10. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

Not on the rail...in center of bow around fish boxes are about 50 rod holders just for this reason.

11. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

Rods don’t get left in the rail rod holders. Well not for long anyway lol

cudaman, tugasangler and HungryJack like this.
  12. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

ok, my point, lol

Snaphappy likes this.
  13. cudaman

cudaman Senior Member

100% correct.

If anyone leaves a rod on the fishing rail rod holders they will be told to move them to the upper level or to the rod holders around the boat's ice boxes at the front. If they don't the mates usually do. Those are the rod holder we are talking about. Also no one is allowed to fish 2 rods at a time.

tugasangler likes this.
  14. jon holsenbeck

Thanks to everyone for your help with this. If I can get it I'll probably book spot 9. One more question: if someone books spot 8 on a Yankee Capts.drift trip and I'm in spot #9, will they move me up to #10 and put that person in #9, or will I still keep #9?

15. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

You’ll be moving around more than you think. The drift varies throughout the day and night. That’s the beauty of the limited loads on these drift trips. Plenty of room.

16. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

True ... in jaunuary I went from the front with Bryan at one point then to the back with Cameron and Dudley ... then I fished port side almost all night alone .

the spot you get won’t matter. The fisherman you are will . Bottom line

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  17. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Based on new distancing requirements,
    each angler will be spaced 9 feet away from each other
    with a 3 foot long chain attached to their leg,
    which is welded to their spot.
    It will allow the angler to pivot 3 feet in either direction,
    reach the bench behind them,
    and keep anglers 6 feet away from each other.

If you need to use the head,
    or want to go to the galley to eat,
    you just scream out KEY,
    and a mate will come by, unlock you.

Please plan ahead, as only two anglers
    at a time can be unlocked.

:)