360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a GF770 calstar.
made for tile, tuna...PB style
using the merrick tackle rail rod fore grip.

This is a Bada$$ rod..
make a great bait rod:D

Attachments

·
13 Posts
Paul,

You're making it tough! I haven't caught a fish (yet) on the acid wrap rod you made me last month and I'm thinking of another new acid wrap rod already.

·
1,334 Posts
Paul, what material is the Merrick rail grip made out of?? How heavy is it compared to their Mooseskin EVA? It would be nice to put a section of that on the butt of a popping rod to take the abuse of banging around in the rod holder!

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Taz, i am not sure what is made of. but you cant hurt it.

its a little heavier than the mooseskin.
i will try to weigh today.

Attachments

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
Its made of Cork & rubber..Veryhard & heavy..Also hard to ream out...

John over at TFT has some SS rods made with it...

·
1 Posts
I have to say i cant wait to use this acid wrapped rail rod, that Paul made me. I love the merrick rail grip.The rod in this attatchment belongs to me and i must say, i have a waiting list of friends who want to use it.This 770 Calstar was an excellent choice. Thanks Paul...

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
what is a rail rod? and whats the specs to rod?

The seeker 2x4 blank is a rail rod...Its a blank to fish large game fish from a long range headboat..The 2x4 is a 7' SSXXH in the tip & a SSXXXXH in the butt section...
I build them to fit the angler...I have used hypalon & or with shrink tube & all shrink both hot & cold tube for grips..Aftco 3s seat...Fuju heavy duty & or Amt guides...I'm building one right now for the late December trip on the Excel..

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what is a rail rod? and whats the specs to rod?
A rail rod is mostly used "on the rail" of the boat.
A rod that the fore grip will be rested on gunnell or a "rail" of a party boat or long range boat.

Most "typical" Rail Rods are used for bigger fish, Just resting the rod on "the rail" and doing a see-saw motion.
The fore Grip is typically a little longer for leverage.

I named this the "Rail-Rod" because of the new "rail rod" fore grip i am using.

The new grip is virtually indestructable.
You can rub it up and down against a piece of wood, or pipe, And there is no damage to the grip.

It is a little heavier than Eva or Hypolon,
But you are not really needing to hold the rod, its resting on rail.
So weight is not really a factor.
And if it is...the grips are only ounces more than hypolon.
But worth the extra weight in the amount of abuse they can take.

Kilson had a "rail" he carried with him.
He used that method for fighting bigger fish with a longer rod.

To me a Rail rod can be anthing used on a rail.
From a tuna rod, cod rod, tile, grouper,AJ,Shark rod.
As long as you "use the rail"

There are other blank we could have used for the "railrod"
This just fit our needs.

The specs on this JPR "Rail Rod"

We used a calstar GF 770H blank...
WE Extended the blank for a little extra length.

Aftco seat...RED..matching wraps
Aftco gimbal...RED...matching seat and wraps
Hypolon Rear grip
Rail Rod fore grip
Fuji HBSG guides

The rod Was designed and made be used for Tile fishing off NJ, NY and the Noreast coast.

Even with the rail grip, this rod is seemingly, extremly light, and tons of power.

A GREAT PB Rod.
or
Where something int the over 7' range is needed. ..

here it is with photoshop View attachment 9810

Attachments

·
1,334 Posts
Nice! I gotta get some of that stuff. I was thinking of using smaller sections of it in the middle (or where needed) of rear grips so the EVA wont get bashed up in the rod holders, or if people want a combo trolling/jigging rod, use it as part of the rear grip section so they can get it out of the rod holder.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice! I gotta get some of that stuff. I was thinking of using smaller sections of it in the middle (or where needed) of rear grips so the EVA wont get bashed up in the rod holders, or if people want a combo trolling/jigging rod, use it as part of the rear grip section so they can get it out of the rod holder.
yeah, alot of good uses for this.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to say i cant wait to use this acid wrapped rail rod, that Paul made me. I love the merrick rail grip.The rod in this attatchment belongs to me and i must say, i have a waiting list of friends who want to use it.This 770 Calstar was an excellent choice. Thanks Paul...
Hi Billy.
Glad you like the rod.
Nice to see you join the site.

Get some good pics of the rod in action.

·
94 Posts

What reel are you going to use on it if I may ask?

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
Paul do you have any of these blanks..If you do can you post a picture of the back end ..I would like to see how much material is in the butt...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts