Radar recommendation???

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by straycatboat, May 18, 2009.

1. straycatboat

straycatboat Member

I have a garmin 3210 on my boat and was possibly thinking of adding a Garmin radar unit. What the best unit to see birds for finding tuna and dolphin.. Do I go with the Garmin stuff as it intergrates easily or use a Furuno radar and get rid of the garmin :) 3210?

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I have a garmin 3210 on my boat and was possibly thinking of adding a Garmin radar unit. What the best unit to see birds for finding tuna and dolphin.. Do I go with the Garmin stuff as it intergrates easily or use a Furuno radar and get rid of the garmin :) 3210?

For finding birds you will need a 4 foot 6KW open array antenna at a minimum. With a 6ft 12kw antenna being better. The thing you want to look for is the beam width, the smaller the better Most 4 ft antennas have a 1.8-2 degree width while the 6 ft ones generally have a 1 degree beam width.

The Garmin radars will be compatible with the 3210, but the 3210 you have is getting a little outdated. Garmin is going to reprogram the 4200 and 5200 series so that you can auto route to a destination and send the info to the garmin auto pilot for a virtually hands free operation. Thats the only thing keeping Garmin as a candidate in my marine electronics upgrading. Furuno 1944c or a 1954c is what i'm looking to get in the near future. Plus I might add a seprate 4210 chartplotter just as a back up and for the auto pilot.

If your shopping around, you will notice there's a nice price jump up between the 4ft 6kw systems and the 6ft 12kw systems.

d-a

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

What the best unit to see birds for finding tuna and dolphin.. ?

I've fished on a lot of boats over the years and I've never heard of anyone using a radar unit to locate birds. Please don't take this wrong, but the best thing to locate birds are good eyes.:)

Height is very important. Stand on the tallest stable part on your boat and use some good binoculars. Even though most boats never use them, those tuna towers can be very helpful if you happen to have one. Most of the towers are for show at the dock. Very seldom do you see someone using it offshore for it's intended purpose.

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I've fished on a lot of boats over the years and I've never heard of anyone using a radar unit to locate birds. Please don't take this wrong, but the best thing to locate birds are good eyes.:)

Height is very important. Stand on the tallest stable part on your boat and use some good binoculars. Even though most boats never use them, those tuna towers can be very helpful if you happen to have one. Most of the towers are for show at the dock. Very seldom do you see someone using it offshore for it's intended purpose.

Mr bill

They do it every day on the east coast. With the 12 KW units able to pick up a pack up to 6 miles and slightly less with a 6kw unit.

Here is a Furuno news letter addressing it http://www.furunousa.com/Furuno/Doc/0/RGV79V8MGN04L6SDQMJFBNLEC0/Waypoints_8-04.pdf

d-a

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Mr bill

They do it every day on the east coast.
    d-a

I don't live on the east coast so this is news to me. I'd have to see it to believe it. If it's so effective, why don't Texas dove hunters have them mounted on the roofs of their trucks to locate doves?.:D

6. wellcraft26

wellcraft26 Senior Member

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I don't live on the east coast so this is news to me. I'd have to see it to believe it. If it's so effective, why don't Texas dove hunters have them mounted on the roofs of their trucks to locate doves?.:D

Mostly because a $100 worth of millet and sunflower will bring them to you and a whole lot more cost effective.

d-a

8. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Mostly because a $100 worth of millet and sunflower will bring them to you and a whole lot more cost effective.

d-a

you got that right.....

Garmin makes a decent radar.. It doesnt have the rep that furuno has..

9. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

I don't know anything about Garmin radar, but I have a 4kw
    radar from Raymarine and I can see birds way out there at the
    horizon. If you don't have a very high mount point, power is
    of no use, you're limited by the curvature of the earth,
    so on average you see about 10-20 miles on a typical
    fishing boat with hard top that is 8ft above water line

10. straycatboat

straycatboat Member

Are there any good articles on the theory of radar and how to install the open arrays. I will be installing mine myself. It looks like you have to have the unit sending out parallel to the ocean surface in order to see the birds properly.. if you get the angle wrong you may be looking at the sky or ocean. Does this make sense.

11. rhale

rhale Senior Member

It looks like you have to have the unit sending out parallel to the ocean surface in order to see the birds properly.. if you get the angle wrong you may be looking at the sky or ocean. Does this make sense.

It makes sense but the boat will never be still. When your running the boat will be tilted way back, when trolling tilted back a little, not to mention that seas are almost never flat calm so you will be rocking regardless.

I have a Furuno 36nm dome and I can see birds from time to time but I dont rely on it. The open array would be much better for this but even the people I know that have high power open array radars dont use them for finding birds in my fishing area.

Installation of my dome was easy but I never installed an open array. Good luck

12. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

Are there any good articles on the theory of radar and how to install the open arrays. I will be installing mine myself. It looks like you have to have the unit sending out parallel to the ocean surface in order to see the birds properly.. if you get the angle wrong you may be looking at the sky or ocean. Does this make sense.

you actually want the radar to tilt down a little bit as to
    be able to see nearby objects in front of your boat such as
    buoy and other crafts that go bumping in the night. If properly installed you should be able to
    see objects in water 20-40 feet in front of you

Chapman's Piloting has a section on radar theory, limitation
    and installation in general. Every boater should have this
    book (new edition every year at West Marine )

The owner's manual from the manufacturer will have
    everything you need to know

NOTE: avoid turning on radar at dock or in close quarter
    with other boats, those waves will cook your little sperm
    and your eyes .... possibly cause cancer due to high energy
    beams

Open array or domes are similar in installation, just make
    sure to keep your GPS module out of its line of radiation

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

NOTE: avoid turning on radar at dock or in close quarter
    with other boats, those waves will cook your little sperm
    and your eyes .... possibly cause cancer due to high energy
    beams

The rays are stronger than you think. Just this past weekend, when we were leaving the jetties, a Capt on one of the tankers at the anchorage was on the radio. He was yelling at a boat that was trolling around the tanker with his radar spinning. He had about five guys working on the deck didn't want the rays hitting them.

I have a Furuno 36nm dome and I can see birds from time to time but I dont rely on it. The open array would be much better for this but even the people I know that have high power open array radars dont use them for finding birds in my fishing area.

That's the response that I was looking for.:) Glad to see someone else that fishes the GOM confirm my experience.

14. d-a

d-a Senior Member

That's the response that I was looking for.:) Glad to see someone else that fishes the GOM confirm my experience.

Mr Bill

In the western GOM you have FADs everywhere to hold bait and the predators. Everywhere else we have to hunt for bait and use every means available to do so.

d-a

15. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

I have a 12kw Furuno Navnet 3d system. I can pick up flcoks of birds from a good distance and pick up single birds and trash and crab pots very easily. I have a 6' open array and the lower beamwidth. The lower the beamwidth ( 1.2 VS 1.9) The better target discrimination you can achieve (better picking up smaller objects such as birds).... The new radars are awesome. But they also come with a awesome price tag... I have 12k sunk just into the radar and display.

Capt Brian

16. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

a friend o'mine makes these...... The Patrick Marine Automatic Radar Leveling Mount

look around his site...... 'specially the simulator and see if any of it makes any sense to ya

i know-for-fact most all the LEOs, CG, and possom cops in our area have'em on their boats

think about it.....