360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doesn't cans make your gun sound like .22 ?

Depends on the can, the caliber, and whether or not it's tossing subsonic material or not.

If the projectile is supersonic, that crack of the sound barrier will remain, no way around it. If it's subsonic, it's impressive how quiet things can be. I've shot 6.8 AR's that were hearing safe and I have a can coming for my .308 and 9. However, as far as pure fun goes, it seems hard to top a suppressed .22.

If anyone is really interested in this, they owe it to themselves to pay the annual fee and sign up for the premium membership at silencerresearch.com. It's $30/year but you can see a fairly unbiased video and review of just about every suppressor on the market. Considering the tax stamps involved, suppressors are essentially impossible to get your money out of when you sell them so you might as well do all the research ahead of time -cuz you're gonna own that metal tube for a WHILE ;)

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
thanks for the info Mark,

suppressed noise might allow me to squeeze off a few more
rounds before them piglets scatter

·
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've started to snoop around as to how to get the ball rolling. Thanks;)

It's a very slow process in terms of how long until you have toy-in-hands.

Best to determine what your STATE allows and then determine if your local chief LEO will sign off on the forms. If the STATE allows it but your local LEO won't, most go the trust route which does not require an LEO sign-off, just the lawyer fee to set up the trust.

In hindsight, I probably would have gone the trust route if I knew how addicting these things are but the chief LEO here will happily sign off on the forms so I don't feel like paying to have a trust set up this late in the game. If I was just starting and knew I was going to get a handful of these toys, I'd likely go the trust route for the pure simplicity involved (no fingerprints, no passport photos, etc).

Silencer Talk has a lot of info on this stuff (and other NFA toys). Some states allow most anything, a few states don't allow much at all. Here is one list but there are many:

Legality

·
1,334 Posts

AWC Titanium Abraxas on my Glock 19 9mm shooting subsonics. Camera is less than 4' to my right hand side and I am shooting into a hill, so you get some echo. The can is only 3.5oz and the size of most .22lr cans (6" long, 1" diameter) and doesn't need a booster, plus it doesn't block the sights. Efficiency wise, it has the same efficiency for decibel reduction/volume as the SWR Trident and Evo9, but at a MUCH smaller size. It is a wet can, so you need to use lithium grease in it, but it works for me! I got it to help out in my NRA classes. Students shoot fine with the .22, but the 9mm is much louder, so sometimes they are scared of it. The silencer takes the noise factor out (I can shoot w/o earmuffs comfortably) and helps the transition from .22 to a larger caliber pistol. It also shows that the recoil is very much what you perceive! I gotta find another medium to use as the wetting agent; I get weird looks when I buy Lithium grease in bulk with a big smile on my face!

I think it was $600 for the silencer, $200 NFA Tax Stamp, and $350 for the match threaded barrel with thread protector. The barrel also works nicely with my glock 26, too :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts