Quick Capt. Tomeny report

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Bellyups, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Kidflex will likely post a more detailed post with pics.

First night was spent at Captain Tomeny's bunkhouse which was perfect. Everyone was rested and on time for the trip.

I believe the boat was the Louisianna. It was very comfortable, quiet, and nearly smoke free. It was not very fast, though, and had ony a few rodholders. None the less, it was a nice set up for jigging and popping as there was no problem accomodating everyone's fishing plans. Seas were 1-2 feet. Current at the floaters was mild.

First day we caught bait and several AJs on jigs at deepwater stand up rigs. The bite was pretty consistant, but not wideopen. The AJs were hugging the rig, so there were a lot of breakoffs.

We went to a floater about 110 miles out. Mostly blackfin busting the few flying fish (2 bad signs, IMO!). There was a 30-45 minute brief bite of 30-50 pound YFT and 6 total were caught, all on poppers. After that, no more YFT were to be seen again. BFT were biting consistantly, but not wide open. Fortunately, they were in the 15-25 pound class. We decided to head to a second floater with no improvement. No YFT at the 2nd floater.

The next day was more jig fishing and Frank and Tony brought in a 50 pound warsaw on a jig.

We ended up with close to a limit of AJs up to 50 pounds, a 50 pound warsaw, several other small grouper, 6 YFT to 50 pounds, and enough BFT (most in the 15-25 pound range).

Lots of barracuda, they seem more abundant every year.

No takes fishing for wahoo or dorado.

A very fun trip with great company, but the YFT did not cooperate.

Scott

2. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Hey Scott, was a pleasure to fish with you and the guy's on this trip. Can't wait to see the "Cuda Kings" report as he has the pics... Do you know if we got a shot of the popper Kidflex was throwing after a long night of cuda killin?

Dewayne

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

DeWayne, it was great fishing with you too. I didn't see the popper. The dang cuda population is getting out of control when they start hitting poppers. I caught a cuda on a Frenzy angry popper. And when that cuda came in, there must of been 10 cudas following him ready for a free meal, which he became when he was dropped back into the water. I guess 10 fat cudas are better than 11 hungry cudas.

4. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Amen Brother....I also have never seen them like that...