Questions on depth finder line

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by fishingduck, Feb 8, 2008.

1. fishingduck

fishingduck Member

Hi all, I'm interested in the OTI depth finder line. My questions are that do you
    think if they're really worth it, and if so, what lb test line should I order for the gulf tuna fishing.

I'm not too worry about the price, esp. with the current 30% sale, but about the performance. My reels are already spooled with either 65lb green JP braid of 80lb hi-vis yellow tuff line braid and I do not really want to take them out & replace them if the benefits are not justifiably better.

Thanks for all your comments.

2. shanker

shanker Senior Member

well, the main benefit is that you can know whithen 10 meters of where your bait is in the water w/o a line counter.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

search depth finder up top you will find alot of info. I personally think its better than any other PE out there. I would suggest the 60 lb for gulf tuna. I use it on all my reels and I love it

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hi all, I'm interested in the OTI depth finder line. My questions are that do you
    think if they're really worth it, and if so, what lb test line should I order for the gulf tuna fishing.

I'm not too worry about the price, esp. with the current 30% sale, but about the performance. My reels are already spooled with either 65lb green JP braid of 80lb hi-vis yellow tuff line braid and I do not really want to take them out & replace them if the benefits are not justifiably better.

Thanks for all your comments.
    All you have to do is to connect 100 yard of Depth Finder PE line to already spooled JP or Tuff lines.

5. papio

papio Senior Member

I use Tuff-Line also. The problem I have with them color lines is i can't see them anyway - over 40yrs old hehehe. The way I figure, if u can't guess-ti-mate how deep u are already then u surely need help and must go with the colored braids. I'm inspired by the Taiwan boys and don't need the "Extra Edge" on the fishes. Save some of your monies and go buy an OTI rod...and jigs too. Good fishing and good luck.

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I bought a 1200 yard spool. My plan is to use it as a 150 yd topshot on 8 reels. Even if chunking with bait, it will tell me when to bring in my line and send out again. A 150 yard drift of a chunk is a good stopping point for drifting chunk anyway. Sometimes I'll go 200 yards if the bite is farther back. I also doubt I will jig deeper than 450'. I would go with 80# if plan on doing a combination of jigging and chunking with the reel.

7. Crab

Crab Junior member

Depth finder line seems smaller in diameter than other braided lines and for sure is a lot smoother . I like these attributes on my jigging outfit - seems to make those jigs dance better.:)

8. gman

gman Senior Member

I personally dont like connecting main braid to another braid to a leader. Too many connections to fail just my 2 cents

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I personally dont like connecting main braid to another braid to a leader. Too many connections to fail just my 2 cents

i see what you're saying.........though with this line its somewhat of a necessity I suppose

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You got to choose between money and dislike. :)
    You got to replace color coded PE line every year as colors vanishe if you want to use color coded lines to fish right depths.

11. gman

gman Senior Member

Id rather spool my reels with solid pe colored line. If you dont want to spend the money then connecting lines is an alternative. Heres my thoughts

I spend big money on a stella, big money on a rod I should probably invest alittle more in the only thing that connects me and my toys to the fish. My line. People often buy great gear and then buy cheep line. Not me, its your life blood in fishing because all these high powered reels do nothing for you if your not connected

Bret, Im ok with connecting braid to mono but I dont want to connect regular braid, to color coded to mono. Id rather buy JB take it to a football field and mark it up with a marker than do that

12. fishingduck

fishingduck Member

Thanks for all your responses. Those were great informations. Hopefully I'll have a chance to try them out in a near future.

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

PE lines used to be very expensive. about $50 per 100 meter.
    As a jigging reel holds about 300 meter and there are several reels to replace PE lines, the cost of lines can be substantial for disposable items.

However, if I have any concern about knot failure to connect braid to braid,
    I would probably use PE lines straight.
    I use uni to uni knot to connect braid to braid and I don't have single failure. And the profile of the connection is pretty low unlike mono connection using the knot.

14. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

I use uni to uni knot to connect braid to braid and I don't have single failure. And the profile of the connection is pretty low unlike mono connection using the knot.

I'm agree with you.
    I use uni to uni knot to connect braid to braid too.
    never fail me so far, easy and clean knot as well....

15. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

well, the main benefit is that you can know whithen 10 meters of where your bait is in the water w/o a line counter.

Just to clarify that the O.T.I. DepthFinder PE line is measured in feet/yards -color change every 25 feet and sold by 100 yard increments, up to 1,200 yards continuously spooled!

IMO one of the most important parts of jigging success, is making sure your jig actually gets within a fish's vision.

Until you use color-marked line to see how easy it makes jig depth control, it's sometimes tough to fully realize the benefit.

However, fish have always been caught before it came along. IMO, it's just more effective now!

16. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Solid line [no matter what kind] no knots except to leader IMO, with all the $ spent on every thing to get to the point where your hooked up it does not make sense to me to comprimise on this link [after all this is the least expensive part of your gear]

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I change my PE Lines every year. If I fill all my reels with PE lines straight, it could be the most expensive expenditure on single item of tackles as I have to spend $1000 to get new PE lines on all my jigging reels every year. :)

The benefit of PE lines for jigging is apparent. I have been using PE line for tuna jigging over a decade. Braided lines were prohibited on tuna party boats on the East Coast. They allowed the use of braided line for tuna jigging later only after capts saw our success by using the color coded PE lines They still prohibit the use of braided line for bait fishing. When you see many tuna boat Capt and mates start using color coded PE lines now, you know the effectiveness. :)

I don't see the need of PE lines for popping though.

18. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Im ok with connecting braid to mono but I dont want to connect regular braid, to color coded to mono. Id rather buy JB take it to a football field and mark it up with a marker than do that

Hey Glenn, that's exactly how I spool mine. I figured I didn't need colored line for any deeper than I was fishing, so I put on 330y, JB-80h,
    23wrap Albright, 500' colored line, another albright, 20' 80# flouro.
    all my knots are break-testing over line strength, & I had no failures
    last 2 trips to Venice.
    I understand the logic, for sure., but is there something I'm not taking into account?
    I just couldn't see putting an additional 1600' of colored line that I would never utilize.
    tight lines
    -Brian