360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forum, enjoy browsing but figured I'd make a post here as I'm ramping up to make my first expensive reel purchase.

Lets start by saying I already have a 5'8" Trevala F rod, brand new that I will be using for this reel. Yes, I've been reading that it's a "noodle," but I really enjoy fighting bigger fish on light tackle, so that's what I'm going to use instead of an OTI. I intend to use this reel primarily for vertical jigging, but would also like to be able to cast with it into schools when the opportunity arises.

For a reel, my mind is set on a Shimano Stella, and I intend to spool it with 80# hollow-core Momoi braid. As for accessories, I'll be using the AFTCO D ring adapter for a harness, and probably a Smitty's belt(still undecided).

My question is, should I go with an 18000SW or 20000SW based off what you read above? I understand that the 18k has a higher gear ratio at 5.7, but it also holds less line. The 20k is lower at 4.4, but holds what seems to be significantly more line.

Should I go with the 18k? The 20k? The 18k w/ a 20k spool?

Thanks in advance and good fishing in 2010 to all!

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
If for mostly jigging and bottom fishing as well as only infrequent casting you would be better off with the 20k due to its better winding power. You wont be able to pick up line as quick as the 18k between each popper bloops or skip pencils and stickbaits really quickly on the surface but it wont bee too slow either due to a large spool. Bibbed lure will be ok to cast and retrieve though

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that was a fast reply, much appreciated, and kind of what I was anticipating.

I've heard great things about the newer Stella's, and this season I was able to take an older Stella 6000 and Trevala for a ride and absolutely loved it. I can only imagine the 18k and the 20k.

·
5,457 Posts
Hello all, new to the forum, enjoy browsing but figured I'd make a post here as I'm ramping up to make my first expensive reel purchase.

Lets start by saying I already have a 5'8" Trevala F rod, brand new that I will be using for this reel. Yes, I've been reading that it's a "noodle," but I really enjoy fighting bigger fish on light tackle, so that's what I'm going to use instead of an OTI. I intend to use this reel primarily for vertical jigging, but would also like to be able to cast with it into schools when the opportunity arises.

For a reel, my mind is set on a Shimano Stella, and I intend to spool it with 80# hollow-core Momoi braid. As for accessories, I'll be using the AFTCO D ring adapter for a harness, and probably a Smitty's belt(still undecided).

My question is, should I go with an 18000SW or 20000SW based off what you read above? I understand that the 18k has a higher gear ratio at 5.7, but it also holds less line. The 20k is lower at 4.4, but holds what seems to be significantly more line.

Should I go with the 18k? The 20k? The 18k w/ a 20k spool?

Thanks in advance and good fishing in 2010 to all!

Theirs nothing wrong with the trevala rod as long as you fish it appropriately, however i think the 18k and 20K is too much reel for the trevala. With the rods capability's I would be looking at a 8000-10000 size reel in the SW series or a 6000-8000 in the fa series. I would also suggest you get the lower ratio reel too as it can be used for jigging and popping equally.

d-a

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Theirs nothing wrong with the trevala rod as long as you fish it appropriately, however i think the 18k and 20K is too much reel for the trevala. With the rods capability's I would be looking at a 8000-10000 size reel in the SW series or a 6000-8000 in the fa series. I would also suggest you get the lower ratio reel too as it can be used for jigging and popping equally.

d-a

It may be a little much, but I intend to fish it for this upcoming season and see how I make out. If it does prove to be too much, I'll get an OTI upgrade mid season. I'd rather buy the bigger reel now, and upgrade the rod later than have to do it vice versa.

G

·
having done both i'd rather have the lower gear and cast with it than have the higher gear and jig with it. that being said you wont be disappointed either way.

i agree about upgrading the rod.....but you'll be able to decide for yourself after a few uses.

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the 20K for jigging will be fine.
give the rod a try,
upgrade rod if you need to.;) :D

That's what I figure. If the rod doesn't work, I'll upgrade it.

·
2,030 Posts
Let me say just don't max out the drag or you will explode the Trevalla. 20K for jigging and 18K for popping.

·
2,924 Posts
having done both i'd rather have the lower gear and cast with it than have the higher gear and jig with it. that being said you wont be disappointed either way.

i agree about upgrading the rod.....but you'll be able to decide for yourself after a few uses.

I concur on all points

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me say just don't max out the drag or you will explode the Trevalla. 20K for jigging and 18K for popping.

Gotcha. ;)

Not really in the mood for a swim either....

·
5,457 Posts
Gotcha. ;)

Not really in the mood for a swim either....

As for accessories, I'll be using the AFTCO D ring adapter for a harness, and probably a Smitty's belt(still undecided).

Sounded like it at first

d-a

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounded like it at first

d-a

It does, but I don't plan on cranking down the drag unless there's something holding me in. ;)

·
2,835 Posts
I wouldn't waste money on a stella for that trevala rod. Why not just buy a Saragosa 6000 for around $215 for the rod. It would be a good match. Since you can't fish more than 15#s of drag on that rod, 50# string would be more than strong enough.

If you want to upgrade down the road, you still have a matching setup to use or for a buddy.

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldn't waste money on a stella for that trevala rod. Why not just buy a Saragosa 6000 for around $215 for the rod. It would be a good match. Since you can't fish more than 15#s of drag on that rod, 50# string would be more than strong enough.

If you want to upgrade down the road, you still have a matching setup to use or for a buddy.

Gonna pass on that, I'd end up with a second rod/reel setup I didn't want in the first place, and since none of my friends fish(or want to, I've tried), I'd end up selling it for a loss. I already have a couple of older low-mid range spinners that I'll throw on this trevala when/if I upgrade it.

Thanks for the advice though.

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
Assuming this is the 5'8" XXH... Also, I don't see any mention of the type of fish, size/amount of line, depth of water, size of jig... :confused: Makes it really tough to help... other than to give the same generic info that the lower geared 20K is better for jigging, and 18K is better for popping.

Regardless, I would advise against a reel as big and heavy as 18/20k on this rod. You'll be using a lot of extra weight for nothing. MH-XXH Trevalas would be well suited to a 5000-8000 Stella with PE3-5 braid.

I'd use an 8000PG SW. When you upgrade the rod and if you need more capacity for PE6 you can just upgrade the 8K with a 10K Spool. There is a big weight difference between 8K and 20K especially after jigging all day. And you can always use an 8K/10K offshore.

And I'd just get a decent, light-weight belt... But look for better ones that take rubber butt and gimbal, since many light jigging and popping rods have rubber butt only. As mentioned, really no need for a strap or harness with Trevala. Go above 15lbs of drag and you'll be coming home with pieces of a rod instead of a rod. :)

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Assuming this is the 5'8" XXH... Also, I don't see any mention of the type of fish, size/amount of line, depth of water, size of jig... :confused: Makes it really tough to help... other than to give the same generic info that the lower geared 20K is better for jigging, and 18K is better for popping.

Regardless, I would advise against a reel as big and heavy as 18/20k on this rod. You'll be using a lot of extra weight for nothing. MH-XXH Trevalas would be well suited to a 5000-8000 Stella with PE3-5 braid.

I'd use an 8000PG SW. When you upgrade the rod and if you need more capacity for PE6 you can just upgrade the 8K with a 10K Spool. There is a big weight difference between 8K and 20K especially after jigging all day. And you can always use an 8K/10K offshore.

And I'd just get a decent, light-weight belt... But look for better ones that take rubber butt and gimbal, since many light jigging and popping rods have rubber butt only. As mentioned, really no need for a strap or harness with Trevala. Go above 15lbs of drag and you'll be coming home with pieces of a rod instead of a rod. :)

Let's assume I decide to upgrade the rod prior to even giving it a try, what would you go with? Something like the 5'6" OTI G3?

As for type of fish, anything from ground fish to BFT, 400 feet is the deepest I've ever fished, jigs from 7-16oz and I've already mentioned I'm planning on spooling 80# hollow-core Momoi.

I don't mind anybody saying the rod/reel combo isn't a match, but I'm 100% deadset on a 18k or 20k, so I guess based on replies I'm going to assume a 20k, so lets hear the suggested rod for it? I can always put the Trevala to use on one of my other spinning reels. This setup is meant to be bigger than what I have.

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
Let's assume I decide to upgrade the rod prior to even giving it a try, what would you go with? Something like the 5'6" OTI G3?

Yes, I think you'd be very happy with 20K and 400g OTI G3. Still a very fun rod to fish, but a huge difference in capability.:)

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, I think you'd be very happy with 20K and 400g OTI G3. Still a very fun rod to fish, but a huge difference in capability.:)

So the 400g over 600g, any reason why or is it just a good match? Sorry, I know zero about OTI rods other than what I read here about how great they are. Never had the opportunity to try one.

Again, thanks everyone for the replies, I'm learning quite a bit here.

·
78 Posts
I had the older 600g OTI with a Stella SW 10000PG, and it was a broomstick. I sold it because it was overkill for my fishery. I ended up going with lighter rods (Shimano Blue Rose (240g) and Hots Fake Lez (300g) and Hots Boil Shot (115g)) so as to not kill myself jigging within the first 30 minutes and maximize my jigging experience. If you are truly going to target large fish (BFT), then I would say the 600g is a good choice. If it is a nice to have, I would go with something lighter (300-500g). Basically, make sure you are realistic in what you are fishing for and get the appropriate tackle.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts