360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boyz

Piecing out my popping rod set up as I can afford it. Plan is Saragosa 18000F, Tuna sniper 40-60, JB Hollow core 80 lb, chinese fingercuffed to 60 lb fluorocarbon leader. So far, I have the JB and the fluorocarbon. Got lucky on the NYSE.......... so ran off today and bought the Saragosa. Talking with the guys in the shop and one of them tells me that he has never heard of someone using JB Hollow core as their main line on a popping rod. "It is too thick you will have trouble casting for distance and will have trouble putting 300 yds on the reel". NIGHTMARE>>>>>thought I had spent enough time lurking here and do not remember these issues being raised. I have the receipt for the JB should I take it back?

Any input is appreciated.

·
734 Posts
Old salts like JB hollow,thats what they put on their reel.
Iwill go with 60 pounds on the Sarogosa but remeber I am only semi pro not profesinol yet!!!

·
5,457 Posts
You will be fine. However I would go with a loop to loop instead of fingercuffing your leader.

d-a

·
1,386 Posts
Old salts like JB hollow,thats what they put on their reel.
Iwill go with 60 pounds on the Sarogosa but remeber I am only semi pro not profesinol yet!!!

Sorry Charlie, You might not have spent enough time "lurking". Semipro is right you can use the 80# but the 60# JB hollow will cast better and you will get a lot more of it on your reel.

If you go with 60# mainline then for leaders you have a couple choices:

1. Splice an end loop in the 60#; and single loop-to-loop your leader to your mainline--this is the best way to go. If you make your own leaders, use 80# hollow for splicing the mono, if you buy them, they will be made with 80# already.

2. Line-to-line splice a few yards of 80# on top of the 60# and then insert your mono are Serve it. I don't recommend this approach since you can't replace a leader while fishing.

The guys at the tackle store are wrong. For the same ABS (actual breaking strength) hollow-weave and solid-weave are about the same. You pay more for the hollow-weave because there are more threads in the weave and it takes a more complex machine, but after you buy it, hollow-weave is like a free lunch: you get strength, smoothness, easier to maintain (just line slice in another piece at full strength).

The makers of "hollow-weave" did themselves a disservice calling hollow since that creates a visual image of an open space in the line. That space is only there when you put "negative tension" on the line, meaning you grab some line and push it toward itself.

PF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts