question on using big live bait on bottom

Discussion in 'Reef fish' started by tngbmt, Apr 24, 2007.

1. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

what's the most efficient way to rig the bigger bait for bottom? thru lips, on back, tail .. ? single or with trailer hook?
    i had many instances where the strike left me with just the head (lip hooking). i have a few times when i hook it thru the eyes and the the hook fail to break the ridge of the bait or the bait didnt slide up the line and often the fish threw the hook & bait. i lose more bait using the tail or back hooking on the way down but had more fish boated if i made it to the bottom.
    thanks for the help.

2. JohnJ

JohnJ Guest

It depends on what I'm fishing for.Trophy AJ's or grouper,with big bait's 3/5lbs a hook in the back just in front of the pec.fin does great.Smaller fish might grab the bait and make a run and not get hooked.For big snapper with 4/6" baits it doesent seem to matter on where the hook is placed.If your just pulling up a head your dealing with a toothy critter.Rig up with a wire stinger it will improve your hook up's.I hope this help's.

Jlock likes this.

3. jig

jig Senior Member

Agree with John. I hook the big live baits thru the shoulders. The fish I trying for will get the whole thing in his mouth. If not, it's too small. :)

4. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

thanks for the responses.
    on another note, does anyone use breakaway weights? if i had 6# weight, would it be advantages to tie 10# line to the weight and have it break if snagged or if when an AJ run hard? i would rather fight a big fish directly tip to hook but there maybe advantages to make the AJ drag that 6# around to tire him out. thanks

5. jig

jig Senior Member

Mixed views on this. Some use breakaway because of advantage you state, others feel the weight is an advantage, esp if fishing around a rig.

I dont use a breadaway unless I am fishing a dropper rig over nasty structure like a wreck. And then only if I think about it. I have started making big fish leaders with a 3way swivel rather than dropper for a number of reasons, breakaway weight being one of them.

6. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

head boat captains dont like you using breakaway weights with thier weights... LOL!!! I took a bunch with me and was rubberbanding them- capt asked me what the hell I was wasting his wieghts for.... I let him know I brought my own weights, and even gave him the leftover ones I had when I departed.....

7. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

What I like to do when rigging big live bait like blue runners, goggle eyes, and bonita is to get some 35-50lbs waxed floss and bridle the bait between the nose. This can be done fairly quick and it will keep your bait from being injure if you have to pick up and move to another spot. Two, this will let the bait swim more naturally. And three, the circle hook will be more expose for better hookup.

8. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I agree with BR. Bridle a hook sized to the live bait that's for off of TX or LA waters were AJ and warsaw might eat hard tales
    For FLA gulf water grouper fishing a smaller live bait should equel a small hook.
    Fit the hook size to match the bait and fit the hook strenght to match the
    fish\drag.
    In the 70's I hand lined warsaw up working off of the 100 mile platforms using hard tails and hooks the size of a hup cap but that was the 70's.
    A bridled hook about half the size of the baits head should fit.
    as far as the weights I now bring on the party boats I give them a quick shot of spray paint to seperate them from the boats stock

9. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

10. JohnJ

JohnJ Guest

I like the break away.On the last trip I lost 30/35# of lead.My buddy Dart lost 700' of 250lb PowerPro to the rig.We had to use the boat to break the line.10lb is kind of light.One good jerk and you'll break off. I tie most of mine with 40/60lb. Lead is cheep when you make your own.Filling Red Bull can's will give you 5 1/2to 6 1/2 lbs.Cost is about 1$ a pound.

11. jig

jig Senior Member

I'm gonna have to try the red bull can thing john. Thanks. I don't usually bring weights, and that is why I guess I don't do the breakaways more. Didn't want to lose the boats weights. On these long trips, I guess I can suck it up and carry on my own. Your line loss example really makes the point. Even on mono its a pain to lose that much line, and mono is damn hard to break off at 80# test.

12. I made up some weights based on a suggestion from a guy on the 2cool board. I used copper pipe and filled it with lead adding a swivel before it cooled. Would hate to loose them but they were cheap to make as I used all scavaged materials. They lenght of the copper pipe determines the weight. The red bull cans will work too.

Phantom Fisherman

13. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

if your going to make weights like that punch two small holes in the bottoms of the cans. Run some twisted copper wire (10 guage) through the holes and form a loop for your swivel. Use modeling clay to seal the holes befor pouring the lead.
    Do the same with copper pipe, except just seal the bottom with clay.

14. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

i've got a dozen window weights from a neighbor's remodeling project. gonna have to figure a way to cut and use both ends.

15. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Chopsaw!

i've got a dozen window weights from a neighbor's remodeling project. gonna have to figure a way to cut and use both ends.

16. AJ hunter

AJ hunter Guest

what's the most efficient way to rig the bigger bait for bottom? thru lips, on back, tail .. ? single or with trailer hook?
    i had many instances where the strike left me with just the head (lip hooking). i have a few times when i hook it thru the eyes and the the hook fail to break the ridge of the bait or the bait didnt slide up the line and often the fish threw the hook & bait. i lose more bait using the tail or back hooking on the way down but had more fish boated if i made it to the bottom.
    thanks for the help.

If fishing a pinfish or a blue runner with a Carolina rig (fish finder), I like to hook them on the bottom just in front of the anal fin. Since the weight is sitting on the bottom the fish can swim around above it more naturally. A fish hooked through the eyes or in the back swims cock-eyed (it is pulled head down or on its side and tires out easier. I've checked this out scuba diving, so that is why I do it that way. Also the caudal peduncle (the wrist of the tail is narrowed back there, so a circle hook pretty much always gets the job done as the tip doesn't get buried in the side of the fish.