360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what is the diff between the 30 and 40 in regards to max drag and drag at strike. I have used these reels on many occasions but just cant seem to remember what the drag capability's where.Thanks in advance!:)

·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i owned a torsa 30 and loved it, I believe the max drag with the heaviest drag cam was about 34 pounds.

What is the Heaviest cam you can use? I believe that would be the bottom fishing cam right? What would you say that the LRS cam that comes with the reel has drag wise?

·
2,924 Posts
I edited my response above. The one i used was the chunking one see below

Chunk Fishing Special 22 at strike and 39 at full

This cam will be used when fishing for Tuna with chunk baits in the Northeastern United States. Chunk fishing typically is performed in heavy currents. The slow ramp from Warning to 1/2 is designed to hold the float and chunk in the current. For small baits/floats in light current the Warning position is optimal. When baits are bigger or currents are stronger, the angler can move up to the 1/4 position to hold the bait in place. The sudden steep section allows the angler to quickly get enough drag for a solid hookset. Optimal Strike drag settings range from 5-7 pounds.

·
2,924 Posts
Primary Application:
All Purpose Fishing

Recommended Line:
20 - 65 pound test
Drag 9 at strike 17 at full

This cam comes standard on all sizes of Torsa. It is an "all-around" curve with amny uses. The LRS curve was originally designed forhe the Tiagra for anglers on the Long Range boats out of San Diego. These anglers required high maximum drag capabilities in smaller reels to catch large Yellowfin Tuna in standup situations. The result is a steep curve to allow use of heavy lines while maintain freespool.

This is a perfect drag curve for local albacore fishing.

·
3,165 Posts
Wow..great info gman! I should be receiving my Torsa 30 next week and always seeking good info about this bad boy especially from owners of these reels.

astro..

·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Primary Application:
All Purpose Fishing

Recommended Line:
20 - 65 pound test
Drag 9 at strike 17 at full

This cam comes standard on all sizes of Torsa. It is an "all-around" curve with amny uses. The LRS curve was originally designed forhe the Tiagra for anglers on the Long Range boats out of San Diego. These anglers required high maximum drag capabilities in smaller reels to catch large Yellowfin Tuna in standup situations. The result is a steep curve to allow use of heavy lines while maintain freespool.

This is a perfect drag curve for local albacore fishing.

I have been seeing these at pretty good prices on ebay and other sites but I fear that this will not be enough drag for me as I will have to buy the Bottom fish special drag cam which will defeat the purpose of the whole deal.We primarily also used these reels for night time chunking also and I was astounded as to how fast you could land A 60-80lb yellowfin with this reel. thanks :)

·
2,924 Posts
I have been seeing these at pretty good prices on ebay and other sites but I fear that this will not be enough drag for me as I will have to buy the Bottom fish special drag cam which will defeat the purpose of the whole deal.We primarily also used these reels for night time chunking also and I was astounded as to how fast you could land A 60-80lb yellowfin with this reel. thanks :)

I really loved my torsa. One of my favorites for a conventional reels, I landed some decent fish on that cam that comes with it but I also had to thumb the spool at times. The chunking or bottom fishing cam is ideal

·
3,165 Posts
I really loved my torsa. One of my favorites for a conventional reels, I landed some decent fish on that cam that comes with it but I also had to thumb the spool at times. The chunking or bottom fishing cam is ideal

Very interesting gman. So I plan on doing some chunking with my 30, so I will definitely keep this in mind..again many thanks!

astro..

·
717 Posts

If buying another cam "defeats" then keep looking.... I bought a few off ebay for under 400 and one time I got three extra cams with the reel.

As far as how fast the you can land a fish with a torsa,you can do it even faster with either my ocea jigger 4000 or my saltiga 30T. IMO I think its due to the lower gear ratio,

·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If buying another cam "defeats" then keep looking.... I bought a few off ebay for under 400 and one time I got three extra cams with the reel.

As far as how fast the you can land a fish with a torsa,you can do it even faster with either my ocea jigger 4000 or my saltiga 30T. IMO I think its due to the lower gear ratio,

I will keep looking for A good deal with extra cams.thanks:) But in my opinion there is no quicker reel out there that will land A under 100lb tuna thats just my opinion.I have seen with my own eyes and fished these reels on about 12 productive tuna trips where we had our limit and where throwing tuna back and this reel bye far out produced the Saltiga 40.Now the Saltiga will out perform the Torsa on bigger fish say 110-200 pds as is does have the gearing as it does. I cant imagine landing A 50-80lb tuna any quicker than 2-4-and at the longest 5 minutes. And thats just what we did.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts