Question about tackle shop - Roys

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by feeder, Apr 2, 2007.

1. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Looking for another reputable tackle shop and ran across this one: Roys Bait and Tackle.

Anyone ever bought anything from them via mail or in person? The website doesn't look like much but I don't think that should always be the motivating factor. Any info will be appreciated.

www.roysbait-tackle.com

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

In person, but nothing more than general terminal stuff. One of the Corpus guys will chime in.

3. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Roy's is a very good place to deal with. It is family owned and operated and they are fishermen.
    Their web page isn't much, but the store is very well supplied.

4. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

roy's is good...... one o'the best i've found near the coast

they're high on some stuff (who isn't?), but bargains CAN be found

at least they're stocked pretty good for big-game fisherman, and i like being able to see what i'm buying up-close-and-personal.......... but i do most o'my shopping on the 'net' cuz i've yet to ever find that perverbial 'one-stop' shopping place for all my big-game fishing needs

IMO, they need a bigger store/building......... things are cramped in there

they can't even get all they're stuff on the shelves....... last year i stopped for replacement skirts........ they good ones i needed were '"in-the-back'", hard to find, and if i remember right, after 15 minutes he couldn't find'em. (all this while wife and dog are melting outside in the truck ;))

i've heard pretty good thinks about'em and i can-attest-to-the-fact that they could really put the hurt on my wallet cuz they always have some o'the stuff that's on my 'wish list'............ i'm like a kid in candy store when i walk in there (they gotta mop up the drool when i leave ;))

5. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i saw a post a few weeks ago regarding thier prices Vs Academy.... you get what you pay for..... it dealt with diamond jigs.... well I bought some of those diamond jigs academy sells (made by Lee Pro)... I wouldnt bass fish with the hooks that come on them.. only thing worth a crap is the actual chromed lead lure... swivel and hook are junk... I bent the hooks (treble with only 2 prongs welded- similar to a siwash hook) with my fingers very easily and most the time they broke...

6. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

if you're looking for a walk-in, 'brick-n-mortar' store......... hook-line-n-sinker/harlingen, and fishing world/Dallas are worth a look-see

i'm sure there's bound to be sumpin around the houston area, but i don't go thru there very often anymore

if you're looking for stuff on the 'net', i know most all site's with the best selctions, and most all the specialized sites...... but of course, selection and specialty niches don't always equate to best pricing

bummer

there's also alotta individuals and mom-n-pop stores on the net that'll work with ya on a personal basis too....... many of'em visit here

looking for anything in-particular?...... or service

7. Rooster

Rooster Guest

I buy most of my fishing gear from Roy's, very nice people, they've always treated me right. Like Snagged said, the web site does'nt do the store justice...

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Roy's is by far the best tackle shop in South Texas. If they don't have what you want, they will get it for you. If I had to guess, I would say they maintain a million dollar inventory of salt water tackle.

They also run the best reel repair and parts department of any place in Texas. I had some older Penn International 6's. There wasn't many produced. When I wore out the drags, the only place in the United States that had the drags was Roy's. I wiped him out. But, he told me that could get some more machined if I need them. That my friends is service. That combined with the fact that it is a family run business makes it a friendly place to shop.

9. awesum

awesum Senior Member

i saw a post a few weeks ago regarding thier prices Vs Academy.... you get what you pay for..... it dealt with diamond jigs.... well I bought some of those diamond jigs academy sells (made by Lee Pro)... I wouldnt bass fish with the hooks that come on them.. only thing worth a crap is the actual chromed lead lure... swivel and hook are junk... I bent the hooks (treble with only 2 prongs welded- similar to a siwash hook) with my fingers very easily and most the time they broke...

The post you are probably referring to was mine. I don't know about the Academy where you live but the diamond jigs I'm talking about are exactly the same ones I have bought at Roy's. The hooks are fine and there are no swivels or rings on them.

10. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

The post you are probably referring to was mine. I don't know about the Academy where you live but the diamond jigs I'm talking about are exactly the same ones I have bought at Roy's. The hooks are fine and there are no swivels or rings on them.

the academy diamond jigs are crap.. I've had the eyes pull on them numerous times..

11. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

Roys is a great place to purchase tackle. Academy does not carry a bunch of the stuff that I use, so I almost always end up at roys. They have all kinds of hard to find lures and equipment, they were also one of the first to carry the trevalla rods when they came out. There is not another place in corpus or Port A that I was able to find the yozuri 3D's but Roys had them.
    As mr.bill stated, they also carry all kinds of drags and bearings if needed. While some of the prices might be high, its worth it if you cant find what you need else where. They also have a nice selection of steel, reels, rods, terminal tackle, you name it. Awesome store and I usually go by there about every other day if not every day while down. I stay less than a mile from the store while down.

12. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

BTW: Roy's is the Largest Shimano dealer on the coast and is directly connected to the factory for testing new equipment.

13. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

If anybody is interested, Roy's is having their Customer Appreciation days coming up this month, I think it's the 20th and 21st. Great sale prices on most everything.

The website doesn't do the store justice, it's a place you've got to make time to stop and see when in the Corpus Christi area.

Tom - DBG

14. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like they've got a good little following of customers on here so I'll probably be ordring some stuff from them. Always nice to add another reputable, small, family owned tackle shop to the "buy from me" list.

15. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Hopefully, OTI will announce some great news today!

16. Brewgod

Brewgod Junior member

The website doesn't do the store justice, it's a place you've got to make time to stop and see when in the Corpus Christi area.

Bring Money, 'cause you'll spend it... Great store...

17. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Bring Money, 'cause you'll spend it... Great store...

Already spent some :D

Called them up and ordered an Accuframe for my Penn 114h for fun. The girl I spoke with was really nice and so was the owner. I ordered my stuff late in the day on Saturday and they were on my door by Tuesday. Great service. The owner said he was having a more professional website built that will allow us to shop online. I'll be buying from them again. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

Here's some pics of the swap. Sometimes you just gotta have some fun with your gear and add some bling :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. jdusek

jdusek Junior member

How much does one have to spend to get one of those frames?

19. feeder

feeder Senior Member

How much does one have to spend to get one of those frames?

The frame alone will run around $60-80 depending on where you get it (ebay has them too) and what condition (if used) it is in.

The frame is supposed to help to keep flexing down, but to me that handle is probably the first upgrade I would make. It feels a lot better than the stock handle and will be alot easier on you hand.