question about 60lb. stand up rod

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by JohnR, Feb 14, 2009.

1. JohnR

JohnR Guest

I want to purchase a sixty pound stand up rod and I am on a budget. I am considering a Ugly Stick all roller six foot for $159.00 or a Penn international vs 30-80 rs, roller stripper and tip top. The reel I would match this up with is a Penn Senator 6/0. The Penn uses the p450 glass same glass as the tuna stick but for much less $$, the ugly stick is the graphite/glass construction in most ugly sticks. Off shore angler also has a OMSU 4B graphite composite roller stripper/tip top for $140. I know these are not of the quality of Seeker or Calstar, but what do you think? Your input would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to gear up for a 3.5 day trip out of San Diego in July and the main target is albacore and yellowtail, but I think I shoud have a stand up rod just in case. Sincerely John R

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

John,

I don't think you will need a 60lb class rod for albacore , maybe for yellowtail.
    Penn International is a good rod, i think you will be happy with it.

Another option is to buy a used Calstar 760M or Seeker Ctsf60XH, these are perfect 60lb rod in my opinion.

3. JohnR

JohnR Guest

This will be my first trip and I am just going off what the website says. It is a albacore/freelance trip and I do not even know if I need a rod that heavy but the site says for a 3 to 6 day trip to have a stand up rod. I have read that sometimes they run into Bluefin on these trips but I really do not know. What rods would you take on a 3.5 day trip out of San Diego? I have a 30 lb. 40 lb. and a 50lb. already, they are all seven foot rods. Do you think I should consider taking a stand up rod at all. I will be flying out of Salt Lake City. Your opinion is greatly appreciated. John R