Quantum Cabo 80 PTs for Butterfly Jigging?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Cubano, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

I'm planning on going on a 1.5 day trip out of San Diego, fishing for mainly Albacore (possibly some smaller yellowfin and bluefin), and was thinking about trying butterfly jigging. I have a Shimano Trevalla rod and a Quantum Cabo 80 PTs (spooled with 65 lb braided). Has anybody tried the Cabo for butterfly jigging? Is the retreival speed fast enough (4.9:1)? Considering that we are not likely to run into anything bigger than 50 pounds (definitely not over 80) would I be better off with something like a Shimano Stradic, Sustain or Saragosa 8000? Out of those 3 which one would you recommend?

Thanks

2. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

3. bigfishjaeck

bigfishjaeck Junior member

Saragosa 8000 would be the best of the shimanos in my opinion. If you can go the extra $75.00 go for the 18000.... You'll be set for any jigging adventure (you will get hooked jigging!).... As for the Cabo... I've heard nice and not so nice stories. I do not own or have tried one.... But I'm sure someone on this forum will give you plenty of insight... Best of luck on your trip.

4. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

I own a Cabo 80 and it worked great on my last jigging trip. It's a very good jigging reel. The gear ratio is spot on for a jigging reel too. You don’t want a high ratio reel for jigging. It has a ton of drag and it's pretty smooth. It's not a Saltiga or Stella but if you're looking for a tough budget reel, then the Cabo 80 is a good purchase. Spare spools are also very reasonable, around 35 bucks directly from Zebco.

BTW: I wouldn't put anything less than 80lb braid on it. You never know what you're going to hook into down in the depths.

Don't worry about the size of the fish you hook into. The Cabo is capable of handling a 100lb brute if you manage to hook one.

Here's a decent AJ I caught on my Cabo 80, I whooped this fish in no time.

[​IMG]

5. Redfish2185

Redfish2185 Junior member

I'll second the 80 as a gret reel for jigging. Mine is spooled with 80lb as well, it's got pretty good capacity so you should be able to get plenty on the spool. I've only got a couple of trips in with it, but so far so good.

6. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

The Cabo 70 or 80 is a great choice for deep jigging. Fill with 65 or 80 lb braid and your in business. No need to spend any more, period.

7. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

Here is a photo series of my son deep jigging for a smaller AJ. BTW we blew the drag on the reel in use later in the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Joey Herring

Joey Herring Guest

I bought the cabo 80 for my first jigging reel. I think that I got a bad one..well atleast hoping so. The antiback spin quit on the the first hour of the trip and the reel knob broke off two hours later.....needless to say I just dropped $400.00 on an sarggosa 18000 loaded with 550 yards of PE8. The Cabo is beeing sent back to quantim and they are shipping me a new one within 24 hours of receiving my broken one. Their customer servicce dept. is awesome and like I said..I hope that I just got a "bad" one. It will be my back up reel from now on. Otherwise I have heard noting bad about them. Hope this helps.

9. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I bought the cabo 80 for my first jigging reel. I think that I got a bad one..well atleast hoping so. The antiback spin quit on the the first hour of the trip and the reel knob broke off two hours later.....needless to say I just dropped $400.00 on an sarggosa 18000 loaded with 550 yards of PE8. The Cabo is beeing sent back to quantim and they are shipping me a new one within 24 hours of receiving my broken one. Their customer servicce dept. is awesome and like I said..I hope that I just got a "bad" one. It will be my back up reel from now on. Otherwise I have heard noting bad about them. Hope this helps.

Watching that handle break was weird. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it because I have always heard them called bulletproof?

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

A saragosa is stronger than Cabo IMO. It can handle 50lb plus fish with high amounts of drag easy without having to worry if the handle is going to break or it is going to implode.

11. Redfish2185

Redfish2185 Junior member

I bought my Cabo after reading nothing but great things about them on this board, and now a few little negatives are coming out. Haven't used it much, but it's been great so far. I don't expect it to perform like a Saragosa, but I didn't pay as much as a Saragosa, either.