Quantum Aruba

Discussion in 'Reels' started by gmack, Sep 3, 2008.

1. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Quick review after taking it out of the box:

Well of course I haven't used it yet so can’t give an accurate review. I can tell you my likes/dislikes at this time. The two speed functions easier than the boss. The drag preset being on the left side is a little weird. You must push in a turn to set the preset. Good as it will stay at the same setting, bad as it’s hard to do. It pumps out some serious drag. I don’t have it spooled up yet, but believe the 40 something they rate it at. Not hard to put into gear at high drag settings either! It has dual anti-reverse (one on each side the spool) so it should hold up, only thing is the anti-reverse is spring-loaded so it's loud as hell. I don't care for that. The clicker sucks. I hope I never have to use it. There is this tab that must be lined up on the left side when you take the reel apart using the quick take down feature. It's very hard to line it up as it's inside the reel. It's not very smooth. The best thing it has going for it is it seems to be built out of impressively thick materials. For what I paid for it....it's a steal! More to come as I plan to put it to the test!

Gary

2. awesum

awesum Senior Member

I have been using a Quantum Aruba 30 for almost a year and a half and have no issues with it. It's handled everything I have asked it to. I made the decision to buy it based on feedback from a number of charter captains out of Venice and Grand Isle that field tested prototypes for a while.

I have the regular 30 (not the wide) and have it spooled with about 700 yards of 100# spectra and topped with 80# Ande.

3. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

I am giving these some serious thought and was wondering if those drag numbers were realistic or if they were being liberal with their marketing. I am glad ya'll posted this and will try to buy one soon. How is the handle? Does it freespool good without taking it apart and oiling bearings? The standard 30 is the one I want.

4. red34

red34 Guest

i made (and won) a pretty sweet bid on ebay for a brand new in box Aruba ALD30WPT.

it says the capacity is 600 yds of 50# mono. i was going to buy the 600 yd spool if 130# jerry brown. jb has the only spool between 500 and 1200 yds that i can find and i really dont want to pay for 1200 when i'll probably only use 7-800 yards. I'm kinda stuck in the middle. what are my other options here??

if i did go with the 600 yd spool, how much of a top shot of mono would i be looking at? i don't know what size mono the 130# jb relates to.

this reel is for long range gulf and meduim range san diego trips. should i completely fill it with spectra or do 100yd or so of mono for trolling purposes?

5. red34

red34 Guest

i got my Aruba 30W in the mail today and for the outside i'm happy with my purchase. it is quite noisy when simply turning the handle and the clicker does make a weird sound. other than those things that i can definately live with, i am simply waiting for the line to come in so i can spool it up and then build a rod for it.

i asked alantani for a complete breakdown / hotrodding for this reel and he assured me it was coming soon. can't wait for that. i'll either know i got a great deal, or it's back to ebay!!

6. LT1

LT1 Member

I have been lookng at the Aruba's for a bit. Bought one off of Ebay for 200.00. I figured for that price, not much risk. Will see what Alan says abut it and do any necessary fixes.

LT

7. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Any other feedback on these? Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 20 or 30, prob gonna use 80 or 100 (20) or 130#(30) JB Hollow and loop to loop topshots for my Calstar 655XH, 80# top shot.

8. LT1

LT1 Member

Have not sent it to Alan Tani yet--but so far I have nothing but good things to say about it. Drag has been smooth, lighter than my Penn 30S, all around it has exceeded expectations.

LT

9. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Cool! Getting ready to pull the trigger on the 30. Hard to pass up for $300!