QUANTUM 80 PTS

Discussion in 'Reels' started by seahunter, Mar 27, 2008.

1. seahunter

seahunter Member

Hi can i get some feed back from owners of this reel..Whats the largest fish they have caught etc..and drag system performance..

2. gman

gman Senior Member

That was my first spinner or actually the Cabo 60 was. Excellent reel, especially for the money. I've caught fish in excess of 80 lbs on it with zero issues. Very good design, smooth drag

3. seahunter

seahunter Member

That was my first spinner or actually the Cabo 60 was. Excellent reel, especially for the money. I've caught fish in excess of 80 lbs on it with zero issues. Very good design, smooth drag
    How would you discribe this reel as a comparison up against another well known brand..

4. gman

gman Senior Member

against which brand? Lets put it this way ... if I couldn't get a Stella, I would get a Saragosa then a Cabo in that order. The only reason I would get a Saragosa over it is drag pressure. I don't like any of the other spinners from Penn, Shimano or Okuma.

The Quantum Cabos are a favorite reel by guides down in Florida for Tarpon and most of the Reel Peace Captains I know use them off venice. They are a good reel

5. awesum

awesum Senior Member

This has been discussed at length here on this forum recently. If you care to do a search you'll find lots of feedback.

Like Gman I had the Quantum Cabo 60 PTS first and was impressed with it enough to feel if they came out with anything larger that it would be suitable for tossing topwaters for YFT. So I bought a Quantum Cabo 80 PTS as soon as they came out. To date the biggest fish landed on it was a 105# YFT aboard the Pelican last November. I did not catch the fish but I handed it off to another fisherman who expressed surprise at how well the reel performed and then inquired what kind of reel it was. I had it mounted on a Quantum 500G jigging rod and filled with 65# braid with a topshot of 50# mono.

It's no Stella but still a very good reel for around $200.

6. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

It a solid reel for the $ it's been out long enough to be put through the paces and you hardly hear any negatives about them for under 200.00 you cant go wrong.

7. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I guess I've been "pumping" this reel for a while, but when I
    went to our local reel repair shop in Dallas, he said he hasn't
    had one in for repair, or even ordered parts for one in the 3yrs
    they've been on the market.
    I have been so impressed w/ the -80, I now have a 70,50, & 30
    as well. fantastic drags right out of the box, w/ more than you'll ever
    use. the only prob I've had is the painted finish has started to flake off
    the stem of my -70. no biggie, I'm not really a "bling" kind of guy.
    I don't care if it shows wear-it proves use!
    tight lines
    -Brian

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

my friend has one and the anti reverse went out while jigging on the captain john this past weekend. everytime he reeled fast the arm was able to spin backwards. anti reverse failed 75% of the time while he was jigging. that might just be an isolated event as i have not seen or read any other problems like this. still a solid reel!

9. seahunter

seahunter Member

Good to know that a reel for $200 can give good results..thanks guys..i think i will invest in one in the near future..