pv trip report Oct 3-5

Discussion in 'South of the Border' started by Bret, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Headed to Pv with Mcgolfer, Argo, Grescobia, TJ, Jeremy. We met up with Kilsong and his group..
    Argo(Jason) and I were on one boat. Mcgolfer,Gres, and Jeremy were fishing on another.. and Kilsong and Tj were on a super panga..

Day one. Argo and I were to fish on the Top Gun with Capt Juan Moll. Due to overbooking, we still fished with Capt Juan, but on a 31bertram “Magnifico” with capt Alonso at the helm and Juan and Carlos on the deck.. It was pretty cool as we had some great hands on deck with those two.. We headed towards El Banco and picked up some Ojotones (google eyes) or caballitos, then headed on out to el banco. We were the 3rd boat there and the 2nd last to leave that day. We put out the hoochies and began the task of filling the tuna tubes with skipjacks.. I pulled out the diamond jig and picked up a couple as well. About 40 mins into trolling the 3 skippies and one caballito, we get a big knockdown.. Jason(argo) was up first.. we see it’s a decent marlin, get him strapped in and had the marlin to the boat in about 20-30 mins.. We got some awesome pics.. We put some more skippies back out and troll for a couple more hours with nothing to show.. Capt Juan made the call to head on out west away from all of the traffic at el banco.. we had nothing on the troll but found some trash and picked up a couple of decent dorados… and that was it for the troll.. We end up back at El banco around 3 and begin jigging and chunking.. We picked up a couple 30-40lbrs and finally get a decent hookup.. turned out to be around 70-75lbs.. We waited around and kept at it until 430 and headed in.. We had one good fish on but the line parted after about 30 seconds.. So that was our shot at a good fish..
    Day two. We were back at el banco and we’re the 2nd boat there only to find a freaking panguero longline/netter blocking off the entire high spot.. As the other boats show up and try to make bait, several got hung up in the line, including us.. The decision was made to go west again and never got a hit on the troll until we got near a big tree.. then whamo.. a huge dorado comes into the spread and Jason is on.. I start clearing lines and notice that I have fish on too.. as it comes tight I realized that the dorado had eaten both of the lures.. So we put the hammer down and bring this 45-50lb dorado to gaff in about 5mins..
    We pull in the baits in and drop in some live baits and immediately its on .. I had an avet lx with 30lb and had a good battle on my hands and after about 20 mins we bring a twin to the first one into the boat..
    We caught 6 others between 15-30lbs on another tree and headed to the house.. We had about 2hrs of chaos with the dorado.. It was the most ferocious bites I have ever seen.. As soon as the livie hit the water, you would see a flash then a splash and hear the drag scream.. Big fun on the water..
    Day three, it was just me on the boat and we headed to Corbetena. It was slow, slow, slow for us. We tried everything, trolling, chunking, poppers, jigs, We got rocked by a couple of larger pargo…It was just one of those days.. Still fun.. Got to get learn different fishing methods , esp.. bridling skippies…. The weathe was nice, as was the scenery… There are some obscenely gawdy sportfishers down there..77 hatts, Mikelsons, the list goes on..
    We had a great group of fishermen and had a great time. My crew busted their tails all day everyday to insure that we had a good trip. I would highly recommend Capt Juan Moll (Top Gun)and Capt Alonso and Carlos on the Magnifico..
    All of us tuna fisherman dream of that 300lb tuna and Puerto Vallarta is where that dream can happen.. You have to put your time in . I will be back…… The dream lives on………………

I will post some other pics in a bit..

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

pics

Attached Files:

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

pretty nice pictures! that marlin looks like fun

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Thanks, Argo caught the marlin....

5. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Thanks for the photos and report.
    Dolphin at full color on deck are very nice to photo.
    And blood spitters for sure.
    Do you have photos of you at the dock
    with tackle, or afterwards with the guys
    enjoying boat sodas or a meal.
    Kev

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Attached Files:

7. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

More pictures from Jedi243, Grescobia and Mcgolfer boat.

Attached Files:

8. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

tuna on topwater. nothing better :)

9. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Were you trolling the poppers, (TJ style), or casting out the poppers to catch the tuna?

10. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

we trolled live baits and when we saw fish busting bait we would run to the bow and cast poppers.....rick

11. thunnus

thunnus Guest

we trolled live baits and when we saw fish busting bait we would run to the bow and cast poppers.....rick

Brilliant strategy ! Saving the energy.... :D

12. gman

gman Senior Member

were you guys just blind casting for tuna or were you sight casting I leave in 2 weeks. Josh temple just nailed a 338

13. gman

gman Senior Member

14. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

gman
    i hope you get a big tuna. while we caught lots of fish our mission was to get a tuna over 300lbs. we did not accomplish our mission so i guess we will have to try again next year......rick