PV Captain preferences?

Discussion in 'South of the Border' started by txcards, Feb 18, 2009.

1. txcards

txcards Senior Member

To all who have fished in Puerto Vallarta:

I am planning on fishing for cows 2 days between aug 22- aug 29, 2009. The rest of the time my wife and I will dive and hang. I have contacted Manny Ocaranza, Daniel Osuna, and Captain Juan Moll regarding charters as I feel from bloodydecks they are cream of the crop. Anyone care to share experiences good or bad to help me decide? I know Josh Temple is great, but I aint spending 2000 to charter a 35' cabo for 12 hours. Any info is appreciated

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

To all who have fished in Puerto Vallarta:

I am planning on fishing for cows 2 days between aug 22- aug 29, 2009. The rest of the time my wife and I will dive and hang. I have contacted Manny Ocaranza, Daniel Osuna, and Captain Juan Moll regarding charters as I feel from bloodydecks they are cream of the crop. Anyone care to share experiences good or bad to help me decide? I know Josh Temple is great, but I aint spending 2000 to charter a 35' cabo for 12 hours. Any info is appreciated
    You contacted three of the best in PV already. Don't need to seach around for other Capt. in PV.

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Danny Osuna
    Lora?
    Kurt? - kidflex has Kurts last name

check out bloodydecks.com to contact Lora...forgot his number

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I would suggest against Kurt.

I would also suggest that if you like to actively fish, go on a panga. Captain Chuy Gorillas ::Monster Yellow Fin:: - pesca deportiva, snorkel, avistamiento de ballenas, buceo, surfear, pescar, paseos, delfines, puerto vallarta, mexico, jalisco, nayarit, punta de mita, mantarayas, avistamiento de aves, santuario de pajaros, punta del burro, or captain Lora are both great choices.
    I have Chuy's cell number if you want it.
    I don't like to charter sportfishers in mexico because they like to troll too much and a lot of them frown on casting poppers from bow, the only place good for casting...

5. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Lora is 5213221333999 (fluent english), tuna trips are 700.

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Any particular reason? I am supposed to fish with him later this year

7. Master Baiters

Master Baiters Junior member

There are many great captains in Puerto Vallarta other than the Bloody Decks Crew. In fact bloody decks is not a respected site among those in the know. I know of several world class people here in PV that look at bloody decks as a joke. Guys like Josh Temple, who helped get it off the ground and was the only person allowed to post a weekly report was kicked off the site! The others that attack people once they post a report want you to think they are the only captains in Marina Vallarta to go fishing with. But, take this Guy Named Capt. Steve Torres... He has many, many tournaments under his belt here in PV, Cabo and Mazatlan to mention a few. He has been in Marlin Magazine at least ten times and is the only real captain with any real world class creditenials.... Capt. Steve is a World Championh Fishereman, not once, but twice. Anyone ever hear of the WBS World Billfish Series Tournament. It´s like the U.S. Open of Big Game fishing. You have to win a WBS Tournament to qualify to enter this tournament, like the U.S. Open. Now Capt. Steve won this tournament in 2000 and again in 2001. Nobody, Not Osuna, Not Temple, Not Manny, not one captain in all of Puerto Vallarta can say this. OH, and you can still fish with steve for under $1,400 usd until your arms fall off. Capt. Steve doesn´t live on some FREE site started by skaters to promote PV (yes it was created to promote this area and grew into what it is). If you are looking for a Captain of any quality and you don´t want to trust me, go to World Wide Fishing Guide, Western Outdoor news, Marlin Mag online, Saltwater Mag onlline, Mexfish and the list goes on. these sites are not free and the professionals who can afford advertisements are running sound businesses.

Oh, if you want to know how I know this about the captains here in Puerto Vallarta, I own Master Baiter´s Sportfishing and Tackle in Puerto Vallarta and Capt. Steve won those World Class Credentials with us.... OH, the bloody decks boys banned me from the site as well.... Besides calling me every name in the book, I was accuse of embezelling peoples money, not paying on my fish guarantee and generally being the scum of the earth. I guess that's waht happens when you're actually a professional company..... Manny is a good Captain, Osuna even better and Juan Pablo Mall is one of the better Captains in Marina Vallart and well worth the money and time. Josh, he´s charging like $3,500.00 usd for a ¨fish until you cry uncle¨ trip. Tor that money, I´ll put you out on a world class boat for three days....

OH and by the way, 700.00 usd dollar boats to El Banco are bargain basement prices for slow boats, short on color (lures) and limited bait supplies that they pay for. Everything cost money, fuel is one of those things. If you want to head out to the fishing grounds, fifty miles out, you would probably want to head out faster than 8 mph...... We won´t even go into insurance, operating licenses, safety equipment, frayed line, 400 lb fluorocarbon leader... or poorly maintained boats.....

8. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

I personally judge fishing operations only after I have fished with them. Guys that are a class act, generally quiet and post a lot of current photos of big fish get a look from me. Then I do my own word of mouth confirmation/research via PM/Telephone. A vote of confidence from some one you know and trust carries a lot of weight when you're thinking of fishing 4 days and dropping $6k on serious business.

Then if they turn out to be the goods (which doesn't necessarily mean the catching was great. Hey, it's fishing...), I tell anyone who will listen. If not, my trip doesn't get posted. Simple enough. It's a word of mouth business in an Internet age.

9. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

There seems to be a very wide spread on the cost for Capts and Boats in P/V. I've done four trips there and I'm slowly building my short list of Capts on the speed dial. Usually I like to mix it up down there and do a few Panga days and a few sportfisher days.
    I think some of the big name capts are getting a little pricey for me and honestly my best days (17 Roosters to #55) came from Hector - a much less know Capt and thus extremely reasonable like $350 ++ bait, lic, tip so maybe $500

I see little need to spend $2K a day when you're down there on a big name charter, but I'd still love to fish with Josh or Boggie just for the experience they seem like party people.

Is there any interest in a CM Trip in Jan or very early Feb ? I have a timeshare week I have to use or sell. Hotel Villa del Palmar Beach Resort

10. BIGSWORDY

BIGSWORDY Senior Member

I am in the midst of sealing the deal on a trip to punta mita for the second or third week in november... I was wondering what the bite is usually like in the early winter late fall months? A really good friend of mine has recieved a trip from the "make a wish" foundation, and I want to put him on his first billfish!!I think that should be a rather reasonable goal. Any info on what is goin on that time of year would be great, so i can figure what tackle to take. Tuna? how big, roosters, pargo, and colorado I have no clue what to expect it is my first time to the west side!!! thanks

11. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

I am in the midst of sealing the deal on a trip to punta mita for the second or third week in november... I was wondering what the bite is usually like in the early winter late fall months? A really good friend of mine has recieved a trip from the "make a wish" foundation, and I want to put him on his first billfish!!I think that should be a rather reasonable goal. Any info on what is goin on that time of year would be great, so i can figure what tackle to take. Tuna? how big, roosters, pargo, and colorado I have no clue what to expect it is my first time to the west side!!! thanks

at that time in PV the sky is the limit (if not the rule) all you have to do is to decide what to target. Sails should be plentiful, tuna from schoolie size to shots at 200+ lbers very likely, Marlin (Blues and Blacks) around but no guarantee of a bite. Inshore, jacks, pargo etc all likely.

The top captains all know how to target your particular choice, but my recommendation is to target what is biting and you'll have a terrific time rather than saying "we have to catch so and so" and open up the possibility of no fish at all.

12. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Considering that jigging was enthusiastically encouraged as well as tossing poppers from the bow, you're going to have to do a whole lot more than "suggest" to get any mileage on that one :rolleyes:

Not to mention the propensity to deny tips in favor of simply giving them to the mate, staying out longer than I actually wanted ( I fish LONG hours) and a generally pleasant person to spend the day with...;)

Fess up, what was the problem? Were the fish not biting that day or did Kurt purposely take you somewhere you couldn't catch a slimy?