putting line on reel

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Brokejeep, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

How do you guys put your braid on your conventional reels?
    I have a TLD 50 and I'm wanting to put 80lb. braid on it, what is the easiest way to do this?
    Also it appears that it will take an enormous amount of line to fill it.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

3. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

How do you guys put your braid on your conventional reels?
    I have a TLD 50 and I'm wanting to put 80lb. braid on it, what is the easiest way to do this?
    Also it appears that it will take an enormous amount of line to fill it.

Start here: Spooling Spectra® on your Reel :: Hollow Spectra :: BHP Tackle

Then read whatever else you want. I've found both Jerry Brown (a Golden Triangle Texan transplanted to Gold Hill, Oregon when he's not out on a long range trip from San Diego) and Basil Pappas (an East Coaster who's fished both the East and the Left Coast) very helpful on both the theory and the practical side.

One or both offer charts of line capacities of many popular reels.

4. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

The easiest way is with a heavy-duty line winder which will take a couple minutes tops. If you don't own one yourself, most decent tackle shops do.

5. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

Holy Shit. This the first time I have ever cried putting line on a reel!
    One down one to go :( .....I put 750yrds on and the reel is about 3/4 full will that be ok or do I need to keep going?

I always put line on reels with the dowel rod /toe method but this is tough, I left a huge wet spot from my sweat and arms ,side ,crotch, and legs hurt.

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Holy Shit. This the first time I have ever cried putting line on a reel!
    One down one to go :( .....I put 750yrds on and the reel is about 3/4 full will that be ok or do I need to keep going?

I always put line on reels with the dowel rod /toe method but this is tough, I left a huge wet spot from my sweat and arms ,side ,crotch, and legs hurt.

Thats plenty for anything you will likely encounter on the Big E, except fro the occasional marlin or swordie.

Low gear helps as well as a belt.

d-a