Punta Mita/PV week of 2/11

Discussion in 'South of the Border' started by LEXPRO, Feb 15, 2009.

1. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

We arrived in Mita on Sunday the 8th a little after noon. We rented a condo at La Anclote Condos and were being picked up by Ricardo that works on the property. Transfers were 65$ US and it included a ride the the Mega where with the pesos being 14 to 1 USD the food and drinks for the week to be kept at the condo were cheap. The condo was 1050$ US for the week found on VRBO.com. It was supposed to be a 1 br penthouse that slept 4 so i invited Sempro (Tufan) to stay with us from sun-thurs since it was on short notice, but when we arrived it was a 2br that was on first floor but that worked out. I called Capt Lora and he said he was cleaning fish and on the way in so we walked to the cooperativa to meet him. He said they were inshore and caught dorados to 10lb and that we should fish the banco because tunas were there. I told him i would see him at 6am Mita time. We went over to Margaritos for some excellent food and coctails. We ordered 3 appetizers, 3 entrees, and much drinks but couldnt get the bill over 70US when you convert it. I was really liking the devalued peso....Mexico is really a good deal right now when paying in pesos.

Attached Files:

2. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Day 2 we were up early and went to Blue Water Grill ran by a cool guy named Mark that opens at 6am. Eggs Mexicana and coffee and we were ready to go. We were headed to the banco but the head seas and wind made it rough in the 26ft panga. Part of the way out we diverted to corbetena rock ( rock with lighthouse picture )and it was a little easier heading that direction. Corbetena seemed like a really fishy place, we were drifting live bait on two rods on the stern, Tufan was jigging, and myself and the mate Largo were casting poppers off the bow. My first cast had a blowup so i was excited. On the second drift i caught the first of many jacks at this spot but nothing else exciting. Largo also caught several jacks on topwater and Tufan caught his first pompano on jig. My fiance caught a big jack and a mexican bonito on bait. During our time at corbetena we were able to see whales free jumping and it was awesome. Although we were catching a fish or getting hit every drift, we headed to the banco.

Attached Files:

3. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

It took 1.5 hours at 10knts to get from corbetena to banco, but when we arrived at the banco on the 2nd part of day 2 we were met by porpoise and birds so i was really happy. We ran to a spot with boiling water and i hooked up my first cast. Just as i was getting the fish closer to the boat i started to apply more drag and fish made last run at 10 meters from boat and straighted the split ring on the rear of popper. We had three rods ready with poppers so Largo immediately casted another and had another hookup and handed off to me. This fish was hooked on outside of mouth and didnt come so easily and it was really beating me up as i just seconds prior fought another fish almost all the way to the boat. When i finally landed him we put him in the ice box and went chasing some more fish. Our hookup to landing ratio wasnt that good for the remainder of the day because we had alot more fish hit the poppers and tadys but we only landed one more. We headed back in and made better time as the seas were following on the way in. The sunset never looked so good from TX. I also had never in my life in one place seen so many birds and jumping tuna, and we also saw a billfish at the banco.

Attached Files:

4. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Day three we met at the launch 8am Mita time for a half day inshore. Waves and wind were still strong as we fished a cliff at the point. We trolled baits while Largo and I casted poppers but the roosters werent home. No boats were getting hookups either so we headed for a rock a little north of Isla Marietes. We caught 2 pargo on baits there but nothing on poppers. I had a pargo follow my popper all the way to the boat but it didnt touch it. It was painful to see it turn and swim off as i didnt get a hit on my lures all day. We left there and headed nearer to shore and trolled baits around another high spot and i caught my biggest pompano. This gave everyone something to smile about as we headed back in. For dinner you guessed it grilled pargo :)...

Attached Files:

5. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Nice report and pictures, thanks for sharing with us.

6. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Nice post!! After all of the technical tackle posts, it is nice to see someone out and about using the tackle instead of talking about it.

7. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Day 4 we were up early as we decided to go back to the banco looking for tunas. Seas were a little better so we werent so beat up.. when we arrived there was three boats drifting over the banco... we had baits out the back and i casted until lunch time. We had no action all morning but one of the other boats that was Capt Lora's relative gave us a part of a dorado they caught and we made ceviche on the boat, it was extra hot per my fiances request. After eating we chased birds rather than drift. We ended up with some smaller tunas on tadys as the action was alot slower than the first day. Even though it was slow Lora and Largo along with myself casted our ass*s off and their work ethic really impressed me as most capts would have called it quits. We came in after dark as we stayed late trying to find fish under the birds. Day 5 Tufan flew back to Houston and my fiance and i just drack cocktails. We spoke with Lora that night after dinner and told him we wanted to fish one more day. Since he was going out on another boat on our day 6 he sent us out on a inshore half day with Largo. We ran 10 miles to some FAD made with buoys and palapas and we caught 3 dorado about 5-6 lbs. One on a popper and 2 on baits. All the single engine boats that were slower getting out showed up and scared the fish off so we went back to the cliffs as i wanted to try for a rooster. We trolled some larger hardtails and had 2 good strikes but no hookups. On poppers the only thing biting was jack crevalles. On the way in we saw a sick yacht with a triple engine center console attached and a helicopter on the top deck. Can i get on that program???

Attached Files:

8. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

Apprciate the fishing report and the great pictures. What tadys were you using ,how did you work the jigs ,and what size . I am starting to really enjoy using the tadys and want to know the techniques that most fishermen do. gres

9. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

The most effective tady was the one ounce,,, but we varied them throughout the day. We casted and retreived. Sometimes letting them sink sometimes not. Also sometimes we ripped them really hard when casting to rolling tunas. We actually foul hooked a small one that way.

10. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Great report.. nice pics too.... That is such a fishy area.. you never know whats gonna happen next.

11. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Thanks for the great pics!! I am yet to read the report, but I had to comment!

12. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

looks like yall had a great time. nice pics and fish. too long til i fish with capt lora (sept). but gives me something to look forward to.