360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post on 360tuna.
I and my 5 other friends will fish the pulley ridge early August for 3 and half days with majesticseacharters. We will be deep dropping during daytime and move to shallower water at night.
I have noticed many of you have a lot of experience for this type of fishing in that area so I would like to ask for your advice on jigging.
The water is mostly between 200-400 feet deep. The species we target are snappers, groupers and blackfin tuna. We are from New York and most of us never did vertical jigging. So we are willing to go beyond our usual hammered diamond/bucktail for cod/tautog and give vertical jigging a try. We will bring trevala and blackhole rods, rated from 100g to 300g. What kind of jigs would you recommend? I imagine different jigs will be needed for different species? Will flutter jigs do better for tuna at night? For bottom fish, do we need to jig all the way to surface or it is better to reel up 30 feet or so and drop again? I guess in August kings are less thick so wired leader not necessary?
The captain knows good wrecks for large AJs. Should we also bring some long jigs for those guys?
The captain also said we can challenge goliath groupers(live bait fishing) if we dare. The fish ranges from 200lb to 600lb. The heaviest set up we will bring be blackhole 250g spooled with 80lb braid, paired with a stella 10000. Is this a toothpick against the goliath or there is a chance we can land a small one with it?
You can guess how excited we are about this trip(booked last October) as we never fished the Key West(3 of us have never even been to kw before). Most species we catch will be our first. If any of you have anything else worth mentioning(tackle, fishing technique, weather, how much spring water to bring on board etc.), please let us know.
Thanks.

·
Broscientist
1,408 Posts
if you can nail the fish NE on a hammered diamond -- repeat those efforts in Pulley Ridge, fish are fairly easy to fool, especially if they're not pressured often

Slim shot at a goliath with that gear...could lock down drag and reverse the boat but you'll likely be anchored. You'll want a low gear high drag reel, harnessed in to both rod and boat and 200# topshot to handle anything bigger than 100lbs in deep water

hard to say if any vertical jig is better than the other...they move so fast and erratic -- it's more about your efforts behind the jig and the fish being present than a specific brand/color

I like cheap jigs as you will lose several jigs to random events....get up with SDM on these forums for a hookup on great jigs & gear or visit jiggingworld.com and go crazy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. We will def bring diamonds and bucktails. You are right about the goliath. Basically we are betting on if the first bite comes from a 100lb fish... Trying to decide if it is even worth trying...

·
6,002 Posts
Diamonds and bucktails work round the world. We here just like fancy paint jobs and funky Japanese names we pronounce incorrectly. Anything that ends with Game gets our blood pumping.

Can always place an assist hook on that diamond jig and work it jerk crank or leave on the tail and bounce bottom cod style. Fish will let you know or cheat like I do in deep water with a big chunk of squid. The picture can be taken without that piece of information. Dead fish tell no tales.

You'll love that trip. Trying to get on a July venture. Want me a big nasty warsaw with attitude problems. :)

·
Registered
929 Posts
Good advice here!

If I may add:

If you're dropping 400', you will want some big jigs in the 350-450g range. If there's heavy current, even the 450 will be a challenge to get down without too much scope.

A tip that I've found to be extremely helpful when dropping jigs in deep water: if you're trying to get to the bottom quickly, give the line just a little resistance. If you're using a conventional, lightly thumb the spool, and if you're using spinning, give it a delicate pinch as it comes off the reel. This keeps the jig vertical instead of fluttering like crazy in the current, which helps it get down quicker and straighter. You may get less hits on the drop if there are fish showing up on the sonar suspended, but it'll,get you to the bottom with a better angle/less scope out.

What reels you using? Spinning? Convench?
Where in ny ya from? I'm an LI'er, myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks GARRIGA. Diamond and bucktail will work -- we love to hear that! Good luck catching a trophy warsaw!
Figntingfish: Thanks for the tip. We will bring something heavy and slender to deal with the current. I will jig with a maxel, another guy uses stella 10000. Not sure about the rest, maybe vm. Captain provides fin nor lethal 100 so we have back ups. I lived in Roosevelt Island for 5 years but works in London now. Other anglers are from Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan. New York city is well represented :)

·
330 Posts
It would be advisable to add two teasers above your jigs spaced 2' apart tipped with some squid or glow squid combos. Do not hesitate to jig up to 30' off the bottom for the groupers and queens. Jig size is all relative to wind and current. Some trips you can hit bottom with 8oz easily and at times it takes 2-3lbs to hold bottom when the tide is hauling even in 300' on anchor. On a drift 250-500 gms are useful in 2-400'. Many have had good results with hammered diamond on groupers over the cabbage reef and hits comes from mid to bottom. Drifting with bank sinker and a streamlined bait produces muttons at night. Jigs works the best for groupers even at night.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are right.
Pulley Ridge HAPC - Fishing with a bottom longline, bottom trawl, buoy gear, pot, or trap and bottom anchoring by fishing vessels are prohibited year-round.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.