Pulled Hooks

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by rtran, Jul 31, 2009.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I'd like to start discussion of pulled hooks. I recently had alot of pulled hooks on my last trip with Owner ST66 3/0 although I never had much problem before. I worked lures with rod tip down and hook set was fast crank and then followed by 2-3 upward hookset when I got bit. The tuna were fought under arm until death circles. The hooks pulled when tuna were doing death circles under the boat. I am going to test single trailing hooks on next trip.

What experiences have you had when hooks pulled?
    Too much pressure?
    Hook possibly hooked in bad spot?
    Bad angle?

The hooks still look good and show no sign of being bent or barbs missing. I went through 3-4 lures with same result.
    Most fish were about 50lb and I was using 20-25lb drag.

2. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

The only difference I see with those owner hooks (which I thought might be great, but might be awful) is tht they are "short". I love the hooks, but think that maybe on the big poppers (like OTI) they might now "grab" with enough exposed hook gap. Any thoughts?

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I forgot to add that these incident happened with subsurface lures.
    I haven't had pulled hooks with poppers yet. They hit it so violently that they hook the **** out of themselves.

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

5. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

well, I guess there goes my theory.

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I've also started to try using the twisted leader on the site but am waiting on pametfishers release of his leader.

7. wacker

wacker Senior Member

My take is this,

I here guys all the time saying they need more drag but i hear of very few spooled reels, You have to look at the fish you are catching. A 50lb tunas jaw is going to be half as strong as a 100lb tuna and so on, You are using way too much drag for the size of fish you are catching. Tuna are not a fish you just over power and reel straight to the boat, use some finesse and understand that when in a death circle the angle of pull on the hook changes through the circle and there is times like during a puke or head shake when you have to give them a little rod.

With all the advances in the tackle industry you still need to have patients in the fishing game.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

wacker makes great points..........the big thing when the tuna is circling is to not fight it. let it swim itself into the gaff, just be patient :)

9. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

With me on tuna, I try to let the tuna set the hook itself, whenever i try to set the hook or hit it a buncha times after a lot of times all i feel im doing it making a bigger hole.

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks for the tips. I guess I was too eager and overpowered the fish.

11. north coast

north coast Senior Member

I think it's all just part of the game ,and not much to be done about it . Using an xtreme amount of drag may very well be a factor. It's a good point, But I think there will always be pulled hooks no matter what you do.

12. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I had the same problem as Rtran on this trip, but not near as much.
    I had my drag at around 15# to start but would turn it up a bit after the first run. The tuna that I caught with the exception of one were not hooked very good. I was wondering if this might be from "short strikes" or something like that. Maybe the fish were just nibbling the lures instead of inhaling them. One tuna got unhooked at the boat but was wrapped up in the line and the deckhand got a gaff in him quick enough.