360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Project 15' Skiff

18K views 156 replies 25 participants last post by  saqa 
#1 ·
G'day folks
We started work on the inshore boat build. I designed it in a CAD program called Hulls which I downloaded from Carlsen. The build started out as a 4.6m boat with a max beam of 1.6m. We cut out the ply and stitched her together and damn she was big, too big for what I had in mind. So took her apart again and lopped 60cm of the back and narrowed 5cm from each floor panel and 10cm from each side panel. Was lucky to have good help in form of a fellow fisho and my mrs

Salesh aka Lambu (tall) cutting up the binding wire

Stitching

Stopping work to pose for the camera

Cant get good help these days :D Nah just kidding, Lambu bwoy was awesome help. We managed to recut all the ply and finish most of the stitching in one afternoon

Been called a thug before!

More posing

Here she is, still more stitches left in the bow flare area

See less See more
#152 ·
Thanks for explaining that mate, much appreciated. I am trying to determine what speeds I am getting with the 8hp and whether if I am actually getting on the plane or traveling efficiently in displacement mode. I dont have a GPS. I dont think I am getting a bow wave at full throttle and with motor trimmed correctly, I dont have much in the way of wake or wash. With the trim I ran on first launch I had quite a bit of wake

What I am trying to make sense of is if I am actually running in semi displacement with wetted area reduced by the lift of the foil. What clues should I be looking at?

#154 ·
saqa said:
What I am trying to make sense of is if I am actually running in semi displacement with wetted area reduced by the lift of the foil. What clues should I be looking at?
the main clue is clear water separating from the transom . At just barely planing speed this will not be constant as the 'tumbledown' of the wake will roll forward in a cyclic pattern to meet the transom..................as speed increases the tumbledown can't roll forward to reach the transom & then stops tumbling & becomes the classic highspeed V-wake ( that is a consequence of the boat rising in the water as the speed increases)

@ post#123...............pics 012762, 763, & 765 seem to indicate reaching planing speed with 1 up.

#157 ·
Hi fellas, unfortunately I had to pull the boat out and put it in the shed for now. The stupid old 8hp Mercury has developed another prob where it will run for a while and then lose revs to almost idle. Looking at buying a new 15hp for it in the near future. Design work on the cat is just starting, will post up some lines for it soon. I still am learning the design part and have a few small issues to sort out as I currently do not know enough about certain aspects

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.