Problem w/Brand new Accurate 665 narrow

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by TS18997, Nov 24, 2009.

1. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

Picked up one of the single speed B-665NC Accurates on that blowout at Charkbait last week. It acting a little strange and wanted to see if this makes sense to anyone.

With the bait clicker on and the drag in strike with approx 10# drag set, I pull line out and hear bait clicker. After about 2-3' line pulled out, clicker stops clicking noise and instead hear this hollow rubbing sound. If I start reeling in line at this point (no settings changed), still no clicker sound and hear same hollow rubbing. If I reset clicker switch off/on, it clicks for a little and then repeats problem when line is pulled out against the drag. Im not saying I would ever use the clicker on in anything but freespool but this still doesnt sound like the reel is functioning correctly. Clicker should stay on if the switch is on. That rubbing definately does not sound right.

Called Charkbait and they said call Accurate directly. Called Accurate and had them stumped and said to send it in. Should I be paying for shipping a brand new reel back to factory? Not mad at anyone at this point but a little disappointed in both Chark and Accurate. I guess this is the new internet sales/service for you.

Am I expecting too much here?

2. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

I used to own several accurate reels....they're like babies....they're very high maintenance. They cost me so much moneys shipping them back and forth to the factory. Now, I'm very happy that I don't own anymore accurate reels. I did not have any lucks with them. My go to reel now is Alutecnos. JMO

3. gman

gman Senior Member

Picked up one of the single speed B-665NC Accurates on that blowout at Charkbait last week. It acting a little strange and wanted to see if this makes sense to anyone.

With the bait clicker on and the drag in strike with approx 10# drag set, I pull line out and hear bait clicker. After about 2-3' line pulled out, clicker stops clicking noise and instead hear this hollow rubbing sound. If I start reeling in line at this point (no settings changed), still no clicker sound and hear same hollow rubbing. If I reset clicker switch off/on, it clicks for a little and then repeats problem when line is pulled out against the drag. Im not saying I would ever use the clicker on in anything but freespool but this still doesnt sound like the reel is functioning correctly. Clicker should stay on if the switch is on. That rubbing definately does not sound right.

Called Charkbait and they said call Accurate directly. Called Accurate and had them stumped and said to send it in. Should I be paying for shipping a brand new reel back to factory? Not mad at anyone at this point but a little disappointed in both Chark and Accurate. I guess this is the new internet sales/service for you.

Am I expecting too much here?

No your not expecting too much at all. I would immediately send it back to charkbait and get a refund or exchange. FYI there were many many many documented cases of issues with the 665 reels on this site.

How long ago did you buy it, do you still have the reciept. I would send it back to charkbait not accurate why should you pay for shipping on a brand new reel. Thanks insane

4. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

get rid of it and pick up the BX2-600N and enjoy. :)

5. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

No your not expecting too much at all. I would immediately send it back to charkbait and get a refund or exchange. FYI there were many many many documented cases of issues with the 665 reels on this site.

How long ago did you buy it, do you still have the reciept. I would send it back to charkbait not accurate why should you pay for shipping on a brand new reel. Thanks insane

Thats what I was thinking. Just got it in the mail 4 days ago. I've heard a lot of good and a little bad on Accurate. Mostly it seemed bad from the folks that fish their reels hard and often. I would probably fish hard at most 4x/year. I would think it could stand up to that.

6. gman

gman Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking. Just got it in the mail 4 days ago.

SCREW that just pack it back up and return it. period end of story. Tell them you want it exchanged or your money back. Period end of story but before you do that take a pencil and make a small mark some where on that reel that only you know about. In case they try to send you the same reel back you will know it

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

TS18997,
    You had me concerned as I read your post. I also couldn't resist the blowout price on the boss's. I bought a few, but I got mine from jigstop. Same price as charkbait's sale.

I bought some B665XNC's. After reading your post I put about 25 yards on each one to check out to see if mine had the same problem. I pulled on each one numerous times with the clicker on. I did it from 5#s to around 25#s. The clickers never stopped clicking on any reel. They seem to be fine.

You might try this: Try lowering the lever to free spool. Loosen the preset drag knob so its very loose (min drag). Raise the lever back to strike and pull a few times. Lower the drag lever a second time to free spool and turn up the preset a turn or so (around 10=15#s). Raise the lever to strike and pull again.

Sometimes (On all brands of reels, shimano, penn, accurate, etc) someone messes with the preset without lowering the drag lever to free spool. It screws things up when people do this. (I'm not saying you did this. It could have been done by someone in the tackle shop, most likely a potential customer that doesn't know better)

I've seen people have their drag lever at strike and go to full to get more drag as the fish is spooling them. It's still not enough drag, so they try to turn the preset while the reel is at full. This is not the way to do it. If the drag is to loose for the fish, just put your thumb on the spool, lower the drag lever to free spool, turn up the preset, raise the drag lever back to strike. If it's still not enough, repeat the process.

Did your boss come the black nylon insert in the whiffle ball knob? See pic below.

Attached Files:

8. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

Thanks Mr. Bill. I only did change the drag preset when it was in freespool but your are right, anyone could have done it otherwise. Tried reseting preset knob from nothing to 15# and still have same issue although it does not repeat when the drag is on min. It's odd that when the clicker stops, it stops for either line being pulled out against drag or simply reeling in the excess line and all you get is that nasty noise.

Yes, same ball handle with insert.

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Send it back. Somethings wrong. The boss single speeds have a great reputation. Yours has something wrong with it. Must be an assembly error that should have been caught at the factory.

When they first made the two speeds, they modified the regular single speeds and they did have problems. I'm sure that modification to the two speed will haunt Accurate for years. The new BX-2speed series are a big improvement over the first ones. I think they have it right this round.

I've been on charter boats that have the single speed boss's that are used on a daily basis. Some of these reels are at least seven years old and are sent in annually for service. Some of these charter Capt's will not use any other reel as they keep going and going.

Most people don't realize that the casting control knob really works. I've seen people cast these boss's farther than most can cast a high grade spinning outfit. If you could only afford one reel for every species offshore, the 665 or BX2 600 would surely be one to consider.

By the way, the whiffle ball knobs on the reels I just bought, will be history soon. I hate those knobs with a passion.

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I had numerous problems with three--count 'em--three 665W 2-speeds--all specifically with grinding or rubbing sounds with the clicker. (Didn't own them all at one time, but each was a replacement for the other. Finally, Accurate installed new, updated gears--not sure what. I'm also not certain how similar the guts of your newer reel are to my older ones.

Russ

11. FishHardMatt

FishHardMatt Junior member

Hi TS,

Give me a call at the Accurate factory and we'll get this figured out. 888-222-8372.

Tight lines,

Matt

12. Dave Nowlin

Dave Nowlin Senior Member

I don't even own an Accurate reel but that's the kind of customer service I like to see. A guy from the factory asking you to allow him to help. It doesn't get better than that.

13. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

I don't even own an Accurate reel but that's the kind of customer service I like to see. A guy from the factory asking you to allow him to help. It doesn't get better than that.

I agree. Just got off the phone with Matt and they are shipping it PP to the factory to Matt's attention and he would take care of it personally. That is what I call stepping up. :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone but Im going to let them take care of it as an Accurate was what I wanted all along. Got an OTI G3 400g on the way to pair it with and should be nice lightweight rig.

14. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

matt has always been helpful, great guy and great service

15. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

Got the reel back from Accurate and problem was resolved. There was some kind of tolerance issue on the side plate/cover. Matt had it replaced and working fine. Thanks for responses and to Matt and Accurate for handling it smoothly.

16. DANTE25

DANTE25 Senior Member

IVE OWNED ABOUT 8 DIFFERNT ACCURATE REELS, AND WITH THE CONV REELS THE 665 WAS THE ONLY ONE I EVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH, HOWEVER THE NEW MODELS ARE BEAUTIFUL.

17. Locke N Load

Locke N Load Wannabe Tuna Fisherman

I am glad to see Accurate is making customer service a priority. I guess it is true that if someone has a problem with something they tell 13 people. If they have a positive experience they tell 2. Maybe that is why I have always thought Accurate had bad customer service. It is good to know that reputation is unwarranted and makes me a lot more comfortable if I decide to get the BX2-600 I am drooling over.

18. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I have no problem with a reel being broken out of the box, because it can happen to any manufacture. The test is how they respond.

I'm awaiting the arrival of my BX2-600 and feel even more confident in my purchase now.