Prepping for OBX

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by scubaarchery, Dec 28, 2017.

1. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

Absolutely right, it takes a lot of time on the water to figure out all of the things in this simple post! Same with the GOM party boat thread I started, should be helpful to people starting out! Definitely helpful to me!

2. Kim

Kim Senior Member Supporting Member

20/20 hindsight is a great teacher but....it only helps you out the next time. The old boy scout motto of being prepared is where it's at. After every rig trip, I think back on it a week or so later and try to see if there was something we could have done to have made the trip better or more productive.

3. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

There’s nothing like experience to get bit but after the bite it’s all about basics. Starts with drag. How much one can endure, how much needed to subdue your quarry then tackle to meet both. Go over gunned and fish abuses you for a lot less time. Go under gunned and you may never end the abuse. :)

4. scubaarchery

So modified my lures per Bryan’s recommendation. I can’t make the assist cords any smaller due to the size of the hook. Should I just attach it to th swivel using a split ring or leave as is?

Attached Files:

5. Gorge

Gorge Junior member

Do yourself a HUGE favor and talk to your captain before you go. Discuss the type of fishing that you want to do and the type of fishing that he normally does. I think that it is pretty standard practice to troll, at least until fish are located.

6. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Remove the lure. Untie the swivel. Make the loop smaller then pass it over the swivel and ring versus over the hook. BTW, that one lure might be overpowered by that hook.

brn2surf1000 likes this.
  7. scubaarchery

Gotcha thanks, should have had more coffee before attempting this. I think it may be too big for the lure but will check. Either way, that is the smallest lure I plan to try so can get some smaller stout hooks.

8. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

Eric that is a 9/0 shout i believe. Alex is right and it will most likely over power the lure. A 7/0 may be what you need there.

GARRIGA likes this.
  9. scubaarchery

Sounds good. Will order a pack.

10. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Before attaching hooks, I pass the point through one of the rings and float it to make sure it floats, if that was the intended need. If it passes that then rig up and float again to see how it sits. Then off to the lake for casting and swimming. Try to eliminate what won’t work.

If the assist on the nose affects the bait then perhaps try tethering it to the belly or tail eyelets to spread the weight. Garbage ties work well. So do rubber bands. Each bait is different so best to experiment. On hook up there should be enough tension to break free but the tether shouldn’t be connected in such a way as to hinder hook up.

11. scubaarchery

12. Kim

Eric the way to make assist hooks with short lengths of cord is to tie a loose overhand knot in the cord, pass the point of the hook through the hole in the middle of the overhand knot, slide it up to the hook eye, poke the loop through the eye and then tighten the knot. If you have trouble getting the cord through the eye of the hook, use a piece of braid coming in through the hook eye, loop through cord loop and pull back through.

Fightingfish likes this.
  13. Capt. Ahab

Capt. Ahab Member

2B64DA5C-E140-4DBF-A713-6CD215A43602.jpeg Here’s how I’ve rigged mine. For reference, this OTI phantom is about 10”. Jigstar swivel, spro split ring, and owner sj-51 10/0

brn2surf1000 likes this.
  14. scubaarchery

Thanks that helps.

15. scubaarchery

What about leaders? I have the following planned:

Popper- varivas 200lb nylon shock leader
    Jig- fluorocarbon 150lb leader

All wind on with L2L connection

brn2surf1000 likes this.
  16. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I can’t cast 200# fluoro. Perhaps mono is easier. Any reason not to go with fluoro? I was recommended 170# Blackwater or similar diameter.

17. scubaarchery

I just had 200 nylon shock leader on the shelf. Actually planned to pop 150 and jig 200 varivas shock leader.

18. Kim

This is another way I rigged some smaller lures they all swim/pop as they are supposed to. 20180214_172356.jpg

Dang, I looked at the post and could see the hooks pretty clear. Looks like I'll be changing hooks on that one soon and it hasn't hooked up yet.

19. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

Cant cast the 200# well bc its inside the guides i assume? Try shortening it up. Yes i know the length is important on occasion but i dont think its necessary to fish with two or three wraps of leader on ur spool.

Kim likes this.