pre top coat cleaning

Discussion in 'Lure Building' started by stickleback, Mar 3, 2018.

1. stickleback

stickleback Member

Hi guys

I'm almost finished a wood lure build - all painted with wicked paints & ready for epoxy top coat (I'll be using tarbender). On close inspection, I noticed some of the lures have faint residue marks from where I'd been masking (don't know if the tape is old stock or been left in the sun too long) but I know it will effect the final appearance. The createx wicked application guide for cleaning says wipe down with odorless mineral spirits (this has numerous names depending where you are on the globe - it's quite confusing,you'll have a chemistry degree after all the searching!),have any of you tried this, or do you clean with something else? - my gut feel is that mineral spirits is oil based and will leave a film that the epoxy won't adhere to.
    I think it's at this point the 2k paint users say "I told you so" while trying not to pss themselves laughing!!!...
    I really want to avoid a repaint if possible and hope that you building masters (legends in some cases) have a solution to my problem

2. Kim

Kim Senior Member Supporting Member

I could be wrong but... do the mineral spirit thing to get the tape adhesive residue off then wash with warm soapy water followed by a good rinse. I have a lot of experience with fiberglass and painting, we always used acetone to wipe down to remove oily residue/contaminants from surface followed by soap and water wash down and rinse.

Just make sure the mineral spirits doesn't affect the paint so spot heck first. Soap and water is my friend.

3. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Mineral turpentine is the best approach use it lightly & quickly wash with warm soapy water as above.
    need to be very careful with waterbased pigments like createx, do cleaning quickly & lightly.

Don't be tempted to use any of those alcohol based glue removers like "Resolve" or nail polish remover, etc

Any old Masking tape is unreliable, you don't indicate the type of tape used..............you should use proper 'low tack' commercial spraypaint masking tape .

4. stickleback

stickleback Member

Thanks guys, it's still going to be a hold your breath moment when I hit the lures with a damp cloth! Denis, I was using a blue sign writers tape from 3m, I'm not sure of the code number, but it's the pvc type, not the crepe.

5. Kim

If you really want to reduce the adhesive left behind when removing the tape, use Frog Tape or Blue Dolphin painters tape.

6. stickleback

stickleback Member

Thanks Kim, I'm not sure either of those products are available here in South Africa, but I'll have a look on the large international commercial sites for them - is one better than the other or are they pretty much the same?

7. Kim

They are bout the same IMO, I use which ever one is available. I get it at the local Benjamin Moore paint store.

8. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

For future use you can avoid the need for masking tape in many applications by using a piece of thin but stiff plastic sheet held close to the lure as a shadow board when spraying. This also has the advantage of producing a blended edge to the colour you are applying. When doing this the trick is to adjust air pressure as low as your pigment mix will allow, set low pigment volume & don't get the airbrush too close to the shadow board.
    You can cut the shadow board edge any shape you like.
    Stiff plastic coated cardboard often found on electrical goods packaging these days makes a good shadow board & is easy to cut to shape.
    Another trick I use for repetitive patterns is to use a piece of large shrink plastic tubing & put the lure in it, clamping the excess tubing at the lure belly & then heating the tube over the lure to take its shape. When cooled you can cut your pattern into the plastic & lightly clamp it over the lure to spray the pattern...........I have pieces of this I have been using for at least 10 yrs. Its too much work for a single use , but for repetitive & more complex patterns its great.

Again, low air pressure & low pigment volume gives best results.

Just about the only time I use masking tape these days is to cover lure eyes when I am doing a re-paint. For that I cut the masking tape with an appropriately sized wadpunch after placing on a soft plastic backing then peel & apply.

9. stickleback

stickleback Member

Awesome! Thankyou both!

10. ScottMacc

ScottMacc New Member

Make a stencil. Much easier than wiping a nice paint job with water or chemicals.