360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Page Ranking Knot. Aka the PR knot. Specifically intended for Slow Pitch jigging and micro guides its proven to be a 100% connection of tied properly. I've done an extreme amount of testing on this knot and have the utmost confidence in it. There are various ways to tie and finish the knot so let's hear it. I'm curious as to how you guys tie the knot and why you tie it you're way. Let's discuss.
CCBE7D79-60A6-4F10-B1C6-83C5E36C8D98.jpeg
75F4F1A8-8DC5-4C33-A519-E7DAAE9D34BF.jpeg

·
Retired Member
4,942 Posts
Those tag ends of fluorocarbon (Circled) always bother me. So I came up with a way to make the tag end disappear and it also makes the knot glide through the tip as smooth as possible.

4A2706C4-97EF-43F0-BB63-F5FB203F9052.jpeg
7BA36D1F-E62F-40EB-81FA-02109CB8302B.jpeg
844D6FB9-2B74-4701-AB27-A8E297520CBD.jpeg

Pic-1. Circled tag end still bangs against the tip ring no matter how short I cut it.

Pic-2&3. So I do a few extra turns to get rid of those tag ends and it seems to work for me.

Benny

·
Retired Member
4,942 Posts
I should have said a few extra alternating half hitches over the tag end up to the melted bead. Now it will be secure so the tag end is tight to the braid up to the bead like the rest if the knot.

Benny

·
Retired Member
4,942 Posts
Haha! I wish. Rays won’t be back till the water warms, I do miss going to the dock, just haven’t been out as much with covid still making its rounds.

Benny

·
829 Posts
Very clean finish to make Windon but I would guess this too much work to do this on the boat. Maybe my hands shake too much:D

·
23 Posts
A1,
Rizuto 1st then half hitches, or visa versa? I do 1/2 hitches first then a six turn risutto to lengthen the ramp and bury the leader end.

More importantly; what is the correct spelling of rizzuto, risoto,rissuto,

·
5,706 Posts
Rizzuto!!!!
as from Jim Rizzuto ,Hawaii, the designer of the knot.
Re PR;-
We have had a bunch of threads on the PR over the years .............mostly all good.
the key elements to a optimal PR are :-
- open spiral inner wrap
- closed spiral outer wrap
Load sharing between the mono leader & braid mainline is the interface between the mono & the inner wrap. the outer wrap pressures the mono & the inner wrap together. By opening the inner spiral the outer wrap increases pressure on the inner wrap by a factor of 5-10 to 1........this is where the braid gets its grip on the mono.
The point where the mono enters the braid spirals is a critical point where the load sharing commences.............the more perpendicular the braid is to the mono ( ie closed wraps ) in the inner wrap the more movement there will be when first applying tension to the join & where most sub-optimal PRs fail. The more parallel the inner braid wrap is to the mono the more efficient load sharing is & the less movement in the join under high tension.
PR should be tensioned & "set" the same way an FG is "set"......... by tensioning the join after the first 2 half hitches are applied & only completing the half hitches & finishing lock after "setting" the join.
If you are seriously interested in seeing what a PR does under high tension (load) , after highly loading the join on a big fish or simulating very high load at home , & , knowing how you constructed the inner wraps..............carefully pull the outer wraps apart unwinding them & see what shape the inner wrap spiral turns into.............needs to be done carefully so the whole shebang doesn't just spring apart & you see nothing worthwhile.
- alternating half hitches of braid onto the mono to start the finish........
Half hitches because they are the easiest to tension highly.But, they only have a low level of contact & friction where they crossover so they can loosen easily so not suitable as a finishing lock. ( overhand knots have a much larger area of contact in the loop crossover & typically are much harder to loosen once set.)
- snip the mono tag
- a few more alternating half hitches to cover the tag & then a couple onto the braid mainline
- then the finish lock............Rizzuto or other.
I have had too many Rizzuto unwraps over time & no longer use that finish lock . I use 3-4 simple overhand knots carefully locked together to finish with more reliable results.
PS I do the same finish lock on my FGs
- lastly the join half hitches must finish prior to the lock of your choice, on the single braid mainline.
Finishing on doubled line is a sure way to weaken any knot finish as it allows movement running thru guides & especially the tip. finishes unravel & joins come apart.
Guides & tip are the cause of Rizzuto failures.
Finishing locks never use a single wrap knot , prudent risk management uses 3-4 finish locks for redundancy should one loosen. Similarly when using overhand knots as a finishing lock they must be applied touching each other to minimise movement when passing thru guides etc.
FWIW

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had originally been using FG and a friend suggested trying the PR. I tried it and loved it but was forever get the knot jammed in my top eyelet on retrieval. the knot was designed for jigging as I’m aware, so I was going off a few of those variations whilst I was learning to tie the knot and obviously the length was much longer than ideal for casting.
So over time I’ve been trying and testing much smaller versions for casting. I tried the rizzuto finish but moved away from it as I didn’t find it any better for me.
I’ve settled on quite a high tension on my bobbin to start with. I only wrap off the bobbin 1 inch up and back. and then finish with 1 x half hitch, then 3 x opposite half hitches, cut leader to leave enough to be able to burn and create a good size bulb of leader and then half hitch up to this bulb (maybe 2-3 more half hitches). Then put under around knot pullers, tension as hard as possible to form knot, pull tag end as tight as possible and tie granny knot in tag end as close to knot as possible and cut and burn tag end.
I’ve yet to have this knot fail, break, distort, unwrap on me and I have only been using this knot in PE 4 and 6.
I have noticed that around the wraps from the bobbin over time throughout the day, this area will fluff up. It’s seems to vary greatly from brand to brand in braid.
cheers

·
Retired Member
4,942 Posts
A1,
Rizuto 1st then half hitches, or visa versa? I do 1/2 hitches first then a six turn risutto to lengthen the ramp and bury the leader end.

More importantly; what is the correct spelling of rizzuto, risoto,rissuto,
The way I do it is I tie the risutto at the fluorocarbon first and then the half hitches. I feel the rizzuto makes a little ramp to ease the knot over the tag end.

Benny

1 - 18 of 18 Posts