PR Knot

Discussion in 'Jokes and Funny Things' started by tass, Aug 8, 2009.

1. tass

tass Member

I want to start tying the P R knot to join my leader to my braid. Does anyone know where I can get the bobbin and holder for a resonable price?

Some of the sites on the net are talking some ridiclous prices.

I don't know why the title says page ranking knot but it won't let me change it.

2. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Most any Fly shop, Bow shop Bobbin should do.

The Bobbin and spool needs to wrap a tight wind.
    So put a few wraps (3 or 4 ) around the arm of the bobbin.
    Added weight to inside of the spool will help flip\spin the bobbin with
    the extra tension. That is my experience...........
    Search this site and You tube you will find lot's of link
    Hope this helps
    Kev

3. feeder

feeder Senior Member

You can also use a normal thread bobbin and wrap it with lead flashing material to give it some weight. Someone on this board gave instructions on how to do this. It's basically wrapping lead tape around the spool. It works and will save you some bucks.

You can get the holder in the fly shop section at Bass Pro. Get the bigger one.

4. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

I want to start tying the P R knot to join my leader to my braid. Does anyone know where I can get the bobbin and holder for a resonable price?

Some of the sites on the net are talking some ridiclous prices.

I don't know why the title says page ranking knot but it won't let me change it.

This was about $3 from Basspro. I added part of a stainless steel bolt for weight or you can wrap some solder around the spool. I've never had a knot fail using this.

Attached Files:

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i got one that had lead thread spooled on it. i think the whole thing was $9 and its very heavy.

the expensive ones have their nice features but i havent had a need to get one. the knots work juts fine with this cheapo type bobbin.

6. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

i got one that had lead thread spooled on it. i think the whole thing was $9 and its very heavy.

the expensive ones have their nice features but i havent had a need to get one. the knots work juts fine with this cheapo type bobbin.

Hey Bret, where did you get the lead spool from?

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I think it was the fly tying section of fishing tackle unlimited

8. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Same here except I cut open a shotgun shell and filled the voids inside the spool with #8 shot and then epoxied the ends. Ive never used an expensive one but cant see anything wrong with doin it cheap.

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

This was about $3 from Basspro. I added part of a stainless steel bolt for weight or you can wrap some solder around the spool. I've never had a knot fail using this.

Why not just buy the spool of lead that they sell next to the bobbins? All I do is put one layer of masking tape around it an start tying. For under $5 I have them all over the place.

d-a

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

This is what I use. Works great and I have them in every bag, box and compartment I can put them in.

d-a