PR KNOT

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by rtran, Sep 30, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I saw this new way to close the tag end of the Page Ranking knot. I cannot find the other instruction with the half hitches

YouTube - PR Knot Bobbin

I like this way better.

2. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

3. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Nice! This will work so much better than the stupid half hitches. Thanks for the lesson. Keep it coming!

4. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Thanks Rich! That looks really slick! :)

Couple of questions for the group...

- The half hitches help protect the braid from the "balled" end of the mono. Would wear (especialy with harder mono like diamond, or flouro leaders) be a concern now?

- And the finish knot ahead of the balled end seems to give a little ramp up over the mono. I don't know how much it really helps, but just curious how this version will go through the guides in comparison.

If somebody tries it this weekend please share what you think!!!

Later,
    Jason

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Freddy - DOH! I must of missed that post of yours haha. I happen to land on the video yesterday. Does this way clear the guides good? Does it fray?

Jason - Fraying occurs ineviteably with the PR knot I was told. Only way to stop it or slow is by using super glue.

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I happen to know how the Page Ranking Knot came into existence:

Right after the Lord invented the Albright Knot in the Garden of Eden, and showed Adam how to tie it, Satan approached the Lord and said:

"I'll bet you I can put old Adam on a boat, pitching headlong in icy, frothing seas twenty feet high, and get him to try to tie a knot that takes over 20 steps, while he is puking his guts out and the boat is sinking."

Uncharacteristically, the Good Lord took Satan up on this bet. But unlike His experience with Abraham and, later, Job, God lost this particular bet, and that is why, even today, on party boats all over the seas, you can see guys like PurEvl, and Baosabi, and Jason, and Ichibahn and TJ, and d-a, and all the rest of you--crouching in the bow, while being pounded to pieces, spinning a little bobbin around and around--over and over--having sold your souls just to gain maybe a foot and a half on your cast! :D

Russ "Albright Special" Roberts

P.S. Speaking of Adam, I don't know if any of you have heard what he told Eve, the first time they slept together:

"Stand back, Darlin'. I don't know how big this thing gets."

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

UR-What other knot is easy to tie on small boat that can pass through guides easily?

8. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

FYI UR I crouch on the stern not the bow. ;-)

I only use this knot for topshot or when my leader is over 3'.
    For popping I still use a simple swivel to get the job done.

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

The way the video shows is very easy. Just got to see closing the tag end that way will hold up now.

10. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

I've been doing it this way for quite sometimes with great results. Faster, easier, I'll never go back to the half hitches.

11. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, guys--when people like you folks and TJ and Kil say it will go through the guides easier than an Albright, I believe you--especially since everyone on earth can cast farther than I can. I like the Albright for several reasons:

1. I am not intelligent enough to remember all the steps in the Page Ranking knot. :p

2. Even if I could remember or had an instruction book the size of the Oxford English Dictionary showing me how, it would just damned well take me longer to tie than the Albright. :D

3. I could definitely afford the bobbin if I wanted to, but I have other priorities: I learned to love food at an early age. :)

4. As a proud employee of your United States Government (which brought you the Panic of 1873, the Great Depression, Black Sunday of 1987, and the Great non-Bailout of 2008,) I stand on the proposition that I learned to tie the Albright while Noah was studying the blueprints of the Ark, I have always done it way and I'm too old and stupid to change. :mad:

5. Many of the same people who prefer the Page Ranking knot also eat raw fish. :eek:

Other than that, I am great fan of learning new things. ;)

Russ

12. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Albright for me too Russ. I add a bit of superglue on the know as well. Worked for me this long and never had a failure. I'd be will to learn something new though.

13. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

I know this is an old post but id like to say thanks to those contributing. I just tied my first P.R. knot thanks to this thread and I have to say I am pretty impressed. Has everyone been satisfied with this style of closing the knot since this was posted? Is superglue needed to help preserve the knot? Any reason this couldnt be used on a trolling setup?

14. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, guys--when people like you folks and TJ and Kil say it will go through the guides easier than an Albright, I believe you--especially since everyone on earth can cast farther than I can. I like the Albright for several reasons:

1. I am not intelligent enough to remember all the steps in the Page Ranking knot. :p

2. Even if I could remember or had an instruction book the size of the Oxford English Dictionary showing me how, it would just damned well take me longer to tie than the Albright. :D

3. I could definitely afford the bobbin if I wanted to, but I have other priorities: I learned to love food at an early age. :)

4. As a proud employee of your United States Government (which brought you the Panic of 1873, the Great Depression, Black Sunday of 1987, and the Great non-Bailout of 2008,) I stand on the proposition that I learned to tie the Albright while Noah was studying the blueprints of the Ark, I have always done it way and I'm too old and stupid to change. :mad:

5. Many of the same people who prefer the Page Ranking knot also eat raw fish. :eek:

Other than that, I am great fan of learning new things. ;)

Russ

Uncle Russ,

The PR Knot only has 5 steps to it. You wrap one way, you wrap the other way, you tie a few half hitches and a Uni, slap a little super glue on there, thats about it. For a Bobbin, you can use any old 5 dollar fly tying bobbin. Just try it! You'll like it! It's not hard! And I love raw fish! :)