PR Knot issue

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by feeder, Jul 18, 2009.

1. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Have any of you guys had any problems with JB solid core slipping when using the PR knot? I can get the knot to stay put when using almost any other braided line but no luck with the JB. Any ideas? :confused:

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

is the JB that you have colored? i have some in red and its heavily coated. if so try getting the coating off with rag or fingernails and see if that helps

3. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Actually it's the standard uncoated white. The odd thing is that it will hold with PowerPro which is heavily coated. I only use PowerPro for knot tying practise these days and when I tried it with the JB it won't hold. Tuff Line XP holds fine too.

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

weird. is it happeneing everytime or just a few instances?

5. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Pretty much everytime. I'm testing 65lbs JB the right around 30lbs on the drage scale the first loop starts slipping and then the whole thing unravels. The other lines grib until the line or mono break. It's like no matter how hard I cinch it down the braid doesn't look like it's cuffiung the mono tightly enough.

6. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Pretty much everytime. I'm testing 65lbs JB the right around 30lbs on the drage scale the first loop starts slipping and then the whole thing unravels. The other lines grib until the line or mono break. It's like no matter how hard I cinch it down the braid doesn't look like it's cuffiung the mono tightly enough.

I have had exactly that issue with uncoated Spectra line, especially if there are 16 carriers to the weave. That configuration of Spectra is too smooth and too slippery for a P.R./Mid knot. (You can make it work but it takes a very long knot. Use a line with some coating for that application.

7. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys. I was going nuts with this (plenty of cussing). Looks like patmetfisher is right on this one. A long knot will kinda defeat the purpose for me for using it for popping since it will be stiff when going through the guides. I might replace the JB on my spinners with Tuff-Line XP.

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

izor is also 12 strand uncoated and smoother than JB solid and it ties a PR very well. wonder whats up with the JB solid

9. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I was using 80 white JB over 80 lb fluoro with a short PR when I caught my 130 on July 3rd. Fishing a little over 20 lbs drag. Man, I'm glad it held together. Caught that fish and one much smaller on that knot. I love the white JB for casting. In one of the Icast pics it looks like TUFline is about to market a spinning reel braid, duracast?

Fred

10. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Glad yours held up Fred. I love JB solid for casting too. Mine will hold up to 30 lbs then starts to slip and fast. I know I won't be fishing 30lbs on a spinner but I'd prefer one of the lines to pop than have my knot be the weak point.

I'll have to go and dig through the closet to see if I have any spare izor solid to test a few of these with.

11. pametfisher

Glad yours held up Fred. I love JB solid for casting too. Mine will hold up to 30 lbs then starts to slip and fast. I know I won't be fishing 30lbs on a spinner but I'd prefer one of the lines to pop than have my knot be the weak point.

I'll have to go and dig through the closet to see if I have any spare izor solid to test a few of these with.

You don't need to replace your line. Buy a small spool of 60# JB hollow line in blue or yellow. Add 10 yards (or more, more gives you additional options) to your JB 65# using this method: (http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/glueless-solid-hollow-spectra-splice-full-strength-4389/). The blue line will grip the mono/fluoro for a P.R./Mid knot and you'll get the benefit that you have a spliceable top 10 yards--thinner stronger connections, windon leaders, easier/stronger line repair, ability to splice on a stronger Spectra topshot, etc.

12. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Feeder,

This sounds very strange to me. Until just recently (when I have started playing around with all spliced connections based on Pamet's research) I always used JB Solid 65lb. in Green with a PR Knot to 80 lb. mono or fluoro. It never failed. I don't mean to ask stupid questions, but are you melting the end of your mono when you tie your knot? The way you describe the knot "unravelling" sounds very odd to me.

13. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Gave a pull on my PR up to 40 lbs (still had the same knot on the reel) and it is holding fine. I'm finishing mine w/o the numerous half hitches. One half hitch and the 7 turn uni type finish I saw on utube. About 1/2 a drop of super glue on each end and it seems stable. Are we tying the same finish?

Fred

14. pametfisher

Feeder,

This sounds very strange to me. Until just recently (when I have started playing around with all spliced connections based on Pamet's research) I always used JB Solid 65lb. in Green with a Page Ranking Knot to 80 lb. mono or fluoro. It never failed. I don't mean to ask stupid questions, but are you melting the end of your mono when you tie your knot? The way you describe the knot "unravelling" sounds very odd to me.

Not to answer for feeder, but green works fine, as does any color. It is the uncoated white that is the more challenging.

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Gave a pull on my Page Ranking up to 40 lbs (still had the same knot on the reel) and it is holding fine. I'm finishing mine w/o the numerous half hitches. One half hitch and the 7 turn uni type finish I saw on utube. About 1/2 a drop of super glue on each end and it seems stable. Are we tying the same finish?

Fred

Fred

The half hitches and uni's are not a holding knot in the P-r knot. there merely just to keep the P-r knot from coming undone. The glue helps out some but most all the load is held by the "chinese finger cuff'.

d-a

16. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Feeder,

I don't mean to ask stupid questions, but are you melting the end of your mono when you tie your knot? The way you describe the knot "unravelling" sounds very odd to me.

Not a stupid question at all. Yup I'm melting a mushroom onto the end, but once I get to about 30lbs the braid just snaps off the little blob of mono on the end. After that is when it starts unraveling (i.e the finger traps comes off the mono).

----------

Fred, how long is the knot you are tying? I can't get past 30lbs with 65 JB. I don't have any 80 lying around but I'd like to see if I got the same result as you. It's consistent failure as least :D

I've tried both the half hitch finish and the neater uni version on youtube as well as double half hitch then uni finish. Same results.

17. jig

jig Senior Member

Buy a small spool of 60# JB hollow line in blue or yellow. Add 10 yards...your JB 65# using this method: (http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/glueless-solid-hollow-spectra-splice-full-strength-4389/). The blue line will grip the mono/fluoro for a P.R./Mid knot....

Okay, this must be a dumb question, but why would you still tie a knot if you have spliced hollow in? Why not make the mono/flouro connection with splice into the 60# JB hollow? Is the 60# hollow to narrow to insert the mono?

18. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

My PR is about 1 1/2 inches long and pretty tightly wound with the bobbin.

Fred

19. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

I have white 65lb JB on my reel and I just tied the PR knot with half hitches and the uni knot using a weighted bobbin. I was able to lift 50lbs with both and neither came undone.

20. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

The issue may be the leader you are using. Try a diff brand and see what happens.