powerpro maxquattro... any feedback or reviews??

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by DoubleA, May 15, 2020.

1. DoubleA

DoubleA Senior Member

hey guys - local shop suggested trying the new powerpro. I have had terrible powerpro experiences in the past so I haven't fished it in ages, but its a 4 carrier lines that is SUPER thin, so you get tons of capacity... my accurate valiant 600NN arrives Sunday, and I have my old standard, boatbraid, but I was wondering if I should venture out and try something new.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys!
    AA

2. putter

putter Active Member

Is there a "new" Maxcuatro?

I've used (still use some) 50, 65, and 80lb Maxcuatro on star drag, 2-spd lever drags, and big Tranx reels. It's not as smooth as regular PowerPro or ProSpec. Quite a bit rougher actually and bit more rigid but overall MC has served me well.

FWIW, lots of testing has been done on these lines and they are proven to be good. Probably tests stronger than Daiwa BB at the same diameter. So yes, you should be able to get more capacity with the same strength. Give it a shot!

3. Joda

Joda Well-Known Member

Would rougher mean more damaging to guides?

4. putter

putter Active Member

Have not noticed any issues at all with guides.

Joda likes this.
  5. DoubleA

DoubleA Senior Member

It's new to me i guess, the local shop guy said "have you tried that new maxquattro?" I have been anti-powerpro for a while because of terrible experiences years ago, but I might try it because I'm running that thin reel, and some extra capacity would really make it a more versatile setup.

I am guessing the roughness just comes from the low carrier count. In the old days, the higher the carrier count the better and smoother the line. I remember, I think it was JB 80, back in the day, was 16 carrier and that was the magic for me for a lot of years. But people seem to like the PPMC so I will give it a go.

AA

6. Rclark1292

Rclark1292 New Member

I just spooled an inshore rod with 20 lb maxcuatro and so far I am very impressed. Haven’t tested the breaking strength but snagged a jig in a wreck the other day and had a hell of a time snapping the line.

7. DoubleA

DoubleA Senior Member

Well I spooled it up, and I'm sure just to F with me, the fishing gods made sure that I got the spool of MQ that had a big ol' defect in it. But I left it in there because I was worried that if I tried to get it out I would have ripped the strand it was stuck around.

Haven't fished anything yet because the weather down here has been windy AF, but I should definitely get out for the open of ARS, so I will definitely post after that.

IMG_6802.jpg IMG_6801.jpg IMG_6785.jpg

8. Joda

Joda Well-Known Member

does your MQ line have a strong chemical smell?

9. DoubleA

DoubleA Senior Member

Not that I noticed when I opened it.

10. Jim Gallagher

Jim Gallagher New Member

I have 50# on my conventional accurate and spinning Stella 8000s. Nothing but positive results, like the diameter and strength. My tackle guy highly recommends it.

DoubleA likes this.
  11. DoubleA

DoubleA Senior Member

Hey Jim, always like seeing a fellow Floridian, especially a gulf coaster. I live up in St Pete and work in Palmetto. Im looking forward to ARS opening and running this rig on some slow jigs for them. tight lines!

kellerman2006 likes this.