360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggestions ?

Decided to do some testing on new Power Point 100 Lb. braid versus 5 year old Berkeley trilene Big Game mono 100 Lb., wanted to see where the failures occurred 1st.

Used the improved slim beauty knot to fasten braid to mono.

I twice broke the braid at 53 Lbs. weight - - 2nd time I very slowly lowered the weight down onto the test rig (which is not going to happen with a big YF strike)

Braid always broke and not at the knot, crimps on mono held up well

Has there been some bad batches of Power Pro reported ?

I know the commercial test rigs stretch the line extremely slowly which is really sorta bogus because that's not what happens offshore . . . but labeling a brand new line as 100 Lb test when it fails at half that weight doesn't seem right . . . Paulus tests were over 8 years ago, you'd think by then there would be improvements in strength.
Wood Data storage device Font Circle Jewel case

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JoseG: Some brands under rate their lines, so people are impressed when a 50 lbs lines breaks at 65 lb, probably the line was thicker than another brand with similar rating. . . talking to a very experience fishing guide in Miami, he does not recommend Power Pro at all, he says it breaks all the time. Your “uncertified” test proves the case, specially the 65 lb power pro.

mdees88: Yes, I have tested either 40 or 50lb power pro previously and it performed rather poorly also

Of course, these 2 cherrypicked comments come from a thread on another forum where a guy posts his braid tests, and he get's dogpiled on that his tests and the images show the braid tests always fail early at his palomar knot.
In my case the braid failed twice in the line itself, not at a knot.

Going to re-test 2 more times and try to insure I am testing the line itself, not a knot, not a tension spot, BTW, if you study my image above, the break is in the longer stretch of line - - not the tag end

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I must be on a roll for defective products, ordered some more tackle for tuna trips, today opened a sealed pack of Sampro swivels, was surprised to discover 2 of the 12 were corroded, brand new package. I tried twisting the swivel, they were lightly frozen up, then they freed up. I will be now be carefully inspecting everything I order, even if it claims to be "made in America" . . .

I called the dealer and asked for replacements.
Ac adapter Gas Rim Audio equipment Auto part

1 - 4 of 4 Posts