Possible Tuna Reels Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Reels' started by emtfisherman, Aug 17, 2009.

1. emtfisherman

emtfisherman Junior member

So I'm about to purchase some new rods and reels for long range tuna trips the first of which will be the October 80 hour with Dolphin Docks. I made up this spreadsheet of the major big game reels I believe most of us use and the ones I am interested in buying. I would like to stick with one brand for the whole set-up, or at least as far as the conventional reels go. One lighter reel for jigging BFT, a larger reel for YFT chunking and bottom fishing and finally, a spinning reel for throwing poppers. So far, I think the Accurate BX2-400, BX2-600 and Stella 1800SW are on the top of my list. Anyone have any suggestions or comments? I attached a JPG of this spreadsheet as we cant upload excel files... sorry for the bad quality. Maybe this will help others wade through the tons of reels available. If you would like the actual excel file, just pm me your e-mail and I can get it to you. If anyone has any reels they would like added to the list or corrections, pm me and I will add them and repost the list. Thanks for your help!

Brent

Attached Files:

2. emtfisherman

I added Trinidad and Spheros reels to the list...

Attached Files:

3. reggaeangler

reggaeangler Senior Member

I PERSONALLY HAVE NOT HAD ANY EXPERIENCE YET WITH BIG GAME FISHING BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND GOING WITH SHIMANO ALL THE WAY. THATS WHAT I AM CURRENTLY GETTING INTO AND THE HAVE THE REPUTATION FOR ONE TO FOLLOW IF PROOF IS NECESSARY AND THE ARE VERY LIGHT WEIGHT AT THAT TOO.....

4. gman

gman Senior Member

You are very organized. Persnally Im a big shimano fan but everyone has their preference. If you are going to jig I would suggest the stella 20000 not the 18000.

5. margarita mojo

margarita mojo Senior Member

I have a Shimano Thunnus 16000 with Carbon drags for my spinning reel. I actually have 2 of them. They run 249.00 at Bass Pro. They have held up well so far. Have landed several Tuna in the 70lb range in short order matched with a 7 1/2 ft OTI popping rod. I think I am going to pair the other with an 8 1/2 OTI 60-80lb popping rod.

Joe

6. egluck

egluck Senior Member

If using Daiwa conventional for Tuna go for the Saltiga rather than Saltist, better quality and will last longer.

7. jig

jig Senior Member

I PERSONALLY HAVE NOT HAD ANY EXPERIENCE YET WITH BIG GAME FISHING BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND GOING WITH SHIMANO ALL THE WAY. THATS WHAT I AM CURRENTLY GETTING INTO AND THE HAVE THE REPUTATION FOR ONE TO FOLLOW IF PROOF IS NECESSARY AND THE ARE VERY LIGHT WEIGHT AT THAT TOO.....

I personally have never owned or driven a car but I would recommend you only buy GM products. :D

Sorry dude, couldn't help it. I've put myself in 'time out.'

Great list emt. I think the Avet SX and MXL are a bit small for tuna though.

8. emtfisherman

Why the 20000 over the 18000 for the Stella? I thought higher speeds were better for jigging?

9. emtfisherman

SX yes.... I've seen the MX land some pretty nice fish! I was thinking the SX more for getting bait I guess.

10. gman

gman Senior Member

Why the 20000 over the 18000 for the Stella? I thought higher speeds were better for jigging?

its the opposite the lower speed for jigging makes working the jig easier on you. Higher speeds are for popping on spinning reels

11. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

The 20000 has a slighty lower gear ratio which is nice when you hook up a good fish like an aj or grouper that will pull straight down....

12. gman

gman Senior Member

if you jig with a 20000 next to a 18000 you will see a dramatic difference. The 20000 will rip that jig through the water column with little effort while the 18000 will be hard on you

13. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

**"One lighter reel for jigging BFT, a larger reel for YFT chunking and bottom fishing"**

wether it's jigging or chunking,...... wouldn't you want the larger reel for BlueFin Tuna and go with something lighter for YellowFin Tuna?

:confused:

:eek:

:rolleyes:

:D

14. emtfisherman

Good point... When I refered to BFT I meant Blackfin in the Gulf of Mexico for the most part... Thanks for everyones help!

15. TxGulfTuna

TxGulfTuna Member

Brent- Stick with Avet and Accurate's. The MXL and HX 2 speeds are nice Blackfin reels. Accurate's BX2-30 2 speed are perfect for Gulf YFT chunk'n IMO. Accurate's Twinspin 30 is my choice for throw'n fly'n fish and poppers. Custom CalStar's are my choice for rods. Tell Travis I said Hello and hope A&M is going well for him. See ya later.

16. mastercaster

mastercaster Member

My 2 cents worth....

Vertical jigging, stick with with overheads (conventional) , Spinning reels are for casting...... There are many reasons I feel this way , it is of course personal choice, budget etc.....

Up to 150lbs. target jigging, Overhead Shimano TN 40, 50 narrow or wide & Diawa Saltiga is also a very good overhead reel.

Avet & Accurate , harder to crank the older models & your can feel & hear the gears working... not smooth and not cool!
    Newer models I haven't tried as I was turned off to them many years ago...

Use a good quality light color braid, so the operator can see the angle of your line and react quickly & accordingly , dark colored line is hard to see from the flybridge or control center, center consul color doesn't matter... Izorline is my choice ,but, there are many good ones. Learn how to tie the "mid knot" or similar knot to go through your tippet smoothly without hanging up.

Stella or Saltiga are both very good strong spinning reels, very smooth ,very good line lay, and got the drags to do the job.

Smoothdrag Carbontex in all my reels to replace the original drags with very good results.

Shimano and Diawa carbon-glass rods are light and very strong, Calstar , very good glass rod...

The AJ in my avitar was taken with a Shimano Tourium 20 & Shimano Blue Rose B51SD. Pulled out from the coral in 210 ft. of water in under 15 min....Just lucky I guess : )

Tight lines

17. Fletch

Fletch Junior member

I bought a Shimano Trevala casting MH 6'6", I was planning on getting a Shimano TLD 25 to go with the reel. I am moving to Okinawa Japan and wondering if this will work for 25 - 70 lb class YFT or 30 - 40lb Wahoo. It is my understanding that the majority of fish caught over there are usually towards the smaller size.
    I was wondering if this set up will do? Also if anyone knows how the fishing is overthere.
    I am trying not to break the bank.

V/R

Mike Fletcher

18. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Stick with Avet and Accurate's.

Another vote for Avets and Accurates. Avet is very good and Accurate is great. I love my BX2-600!

19. Stryper

Stryper Senior Member

Looked hard at the New Tallica today, If they had a 665 sized one I would be a shimano man now. Sold all 8 of my Accurates Saturday and my B2-30 will be on Ebay next week. If they canot back a corroision issue on a reel less than a year old I can't back them anylonger. my .02