Possible sad news for The Big E for the rest of 2008

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by STx Fisherman, Sep 23, 2008.

1. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Very sad news about the Big E and the rest of 2008.

I hope that they regroup and start up again in 2009. The service level of the deckhands, captain and front office has been outstanding. On the TBB '08 the deckhands loaded all of my gear, ice chests and bags from the truck to the boat and even upstairs to the upper deck. I didn't have to lift a finger. Now that is great service!

I have caught numerous fish on the Big E and have a load of memories that I will never forget. I tip my hat to the entire organization and hope that I have the privilege of fishing on their platform again in the future.

Thanks again to all of the individuals associated with The Big E and Underwater Expeditions. You have been a very classy act.

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Well said Richard.

I really do hope they will start up again in 2009, The Big E is the best tuna boat in the Gulf.

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I will be there when they fire her back up!

4. semipro

semipro Senior Member

I dont have any idea about their overhead.I hope they can start back very soon,a lot of people love to go fishing,you can count on me for 4 people every other month...Ike took my toy 29 Fountain,it is adios amigos....

5. fishingduck

fishingduck Member

The big E is first class. I really hope to get to fish again on it.

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I'm just curious. Was there any specific reason for the shut down. I know that area of the coast took a terrible beating by Ike. I feel sorry for the thousands and thousands of people that had life changing losses happen to them.

Semipro, sorry for your boat loss. Losing a boat is like losing your best friend.
    I'm sure their overhead is bigger than you think. Just maintaining a recreational boat is expensive. Going idle during prime tuna season would not be healthy for anyone in the fishing business. I'm sure it was a tough business decision to cancel the 2008 trips. I would bet money that Ike was the cause of the shutdown.

The liberal media is all about trying to get Obama elected. They left Ike the day after it landed. Most Americans think Ike was just a little storm. It was far more destructive than anticipated. I think the economic impact will be greater than Katrina. The water surge was that of a Cat 4. For those that don't believe Ike was destructive, just go to this site.
    Pictures people have sent me

7. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Sorry for your loss, Semipro.

I haven't heard a definitive explanation as to why U.E. cancelled all of the trips for the rest of the year, but I also suspect that it was due to Hurricane Ike.

I hope that this is just a temporary pause for The Big E....it's a great fishing trip....fun times with good fishing friends.

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I have many fond memories of the Big E. The crew and service was better on every trip. I will miss them and I hope they are back soon.

Mr. Bill, that is interesting about the media. I was shocked to not see more post storm coverage. Geraldo played in the rain and then left.

Cpatain Steve Tomeny and Port Fourchon took a hit as well.

I wish everyone a rapid recovery from this storm.

9. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Best Wishes for the Big E Crew and personnel. I hope they're back to fishing ASAP both for us and especially for them! Love that boat

10. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

while i am a private boat owner that fishes the floaters i miss the big e and long for its return. i am saddened to hear that it is canceling tuna trips for the remainder of the year. the big e allowed me to fish with many of my friends at one time and at floaters that i can't reach in my boat. i will not go offshore in any of the port aransas party boats until they bite the bullet and purchase a decent boat in which to fish the floaters. i pray that this is only a temporary situation and that the big e is back to tuna fishing in the not to distant future. i know that the big e and their owners and staff have been taking a little heat lately due to excluding snagged from a trip. it was a judgement call on their part to keep a past problem from reoccuring. i am not trying to reopen a can of worms but i do understand their decision....bring back the big e and soon!!!!!!!rick

11. jig

jig Senior Member

Does anyone know how they are notifiying people and refunding fees? I was booked on Oct 24-26, paid in full last year and I have not heard anything. Is this a sure thing for all trips, or a wait and see situation?

12. ALW

ALW Senior Member

They are in the process of refunding deposits. I talked to them this morining and they are refunding mine.

Sure will miss them.

13. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I think Rick put it best all-in-all and pretty well summed up my own thoughts. I hope we will eventually learn what the cause is--and I suspect we will.

semipro: Sorry for you loss as well, although unlike MrBill, my experience has been that when I lose a boat it isn't so much like losing a friend as like getting an insurance settlement for a lousy choice. Of course I never owned a boat in a class with either of yours--or Ricks.

Good luck, Big E folks and I too hope you return.

Russ

14. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

Russ,

I spoke to them this morning about the cancellations, and learned the reasons are pretty straightforward. It's simply a combination of the damage to their ice house, continuing power outages, inability to buy fuel there, and staff and crew having to deal with their own damages. They hope to resume fishing trips after the first of the year.

They assured me there were no other considerations figuring into the cancellations.

15. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Russ,

I spoke to them this morning about the cancellations, and learned the reasons are pretty straightforward. It's simply a combination of the damage to their ice house, continuing power outages, inability to buy fuel there, and staff and crew having to deal with their own damages. They hope to resume fishing trips after the first of the year.

They assured me there were no other considerations figuring into the cancellations.

If the boat is retrofitted for oilfield service like the rumors say, I would bet that she will never be put back in service as a party boat.

I'm just thankful that I got to enjoy her for 4 seasons.

16. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

txseadog,

I specifically asked them about whether or not the "Big E" was being pressed into service in the oil field. They said they may help if asked, but that's not the mission. I think this rumor about a refit is just that... baseless rumor.

17. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

txseadog,

I specifically asked them about whether or not the "Big E" was being pressed into service in the oil field. They said they may help if asked, but that's not the mission. I think this rumor about a refit is just that... baseless rumor.

I hope you're right but I heard 2nd hand from a reliable source that's not the case. Only time will tell...

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I don't blame them if they turn it into a oil service type boat. 20K a day plus fuel is a gold mine. Taking out 40 guys for 3 days tuna fishing only brings in about 28K. Subtract about 9K in fuel plus four deckhands and you have about 18K divided by 3 days equal 6K per day.

You can make over 3 times as much and you don't have all those people problems. Could you imagine answering the phone over there. Tuna trips plus snapper and kingfish trips. That's probably about 400 phone calls a week. Dealing with people in numbers is a major headache. One phone call or fax a week from a Oil Company telling you your schedule for the next week makes a lot of sense to me.

Think of the paper work with all those fisherman. Getting the deposit, marking it down on the right trip, dealing with cancellations, trying to fill it back up, and then collecting money the day they depart. Listening to all the complaining and once in a while a small compliment will come your way. What a PITA. Sending one or two invoices a week to a major oil company is a piece of cake. You could probably do all the scheduling, invoicing and phones calls via a good sat nav system on the boat.

19. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I heard the oil service business sucks! No money to be made. It's all smoke and mirrors! And that every contact with those oil companies is like dealing with 1000 angry fishermen who expected to catch 50 tuna each on glassy seas. But ended up never getting a bite in constant 10-12 footers! :rolleyes:

Damn Bill, don't give 'em any ideas! I haven't even gotten a chance to go yet, and you've got 'em counting their newfound riches! ;)

Seriously though, I hope they'll be back strong in '09. I was really looking forward to making a 52hr trip!

20. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I heard fuel supplies are low and they were even having problems acquiring enough fuel for the boat.