possible popping rod?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by word-doctor, Sep 16, 2009.

1. word-doctor

word-doctor Senior Member

While I know that bad ideas come past 11pm (and all the time for 9th grader boys), what about this: I have a Texas Tarpon Tamer rod (7', rated 30-50#). Would this do for topwater tuna? I already have Jig's outfit (upgraded Spheros on a Gator). I could pop my 6:1 Slosh on the Castaway; I get 18# of drag on that reel and could get over 20 if I wanted to risk an explosion (yes, a 2 speed would be better, but I don't have one yet).

I just don't know about the rod. Comments?

Drew

2. jig

jig Senior Member

My first 'poor boy' rod was an allstar 7' 30-50# rod. After I landed one tuna on it (maybe a 50-60lb fish), I knew I needed to move up a notch. I got the fish in, but it liked to have killed me, and it stressed me out with that much bend. I chunked the rest of the trip.

Do a quick test to get a comfort feel for your rod. Put your reel on it at 20# drag, tie off to something and pull hard until your drag gives steadily. Or just put 20lbs of weight on and lift it off the ground. Did you get that horrible uncomfortable feeling? If so, its going to be 10 times worse when there's a fish on.

I still have that rod, with an upgraded spheros 8000 and 50lb line. I throw it at blackfin, kings, dolphin and such. Sometimes the 14000/gator is just too much when big fish are not around.

3. word-doctor

So you're saying I need to move up to an Ugly Stick, or is that "down"? I'm confused!

The alternative is to put my new narrow 4/0 on my old Sabre. That would handle just about anything, and give me not one but two curry-brown broomsticks.

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

the rod will work fine. the slosh has a pretty light graphite spool. cast great but i wouldnt want to put too much drag on it. blackfins should be ok but i think a nice yellowfin will tear that reel up.

5. jig

jig Senior Member

No, I'm saying that generally speaking, a 30-50# rated rod is a 40# class rod, and fished with drags set at 25-33% line breaking strength, the rod is generally designed to fish at a drag setting of 10-13#. So that rod, fished at 18-20# drag, may put more strain on the rod than you would be comfortable with. But you won't really know without pulling on it with the drag setting you intend to fish. If you pull on the rod and are not comfortable with the 'feel' at the intended drag settings at the house, you definately are not going to be comfortable with the 'feel' when it's due to a YFT pulling for a 30-45 minute fight.

Most people want 65-80# line for YFT so they can pull 20# or so of drag. I think, since your YFT fishing is all from a party boat with at least 20 other people, you do want at least this much drag. But if your rod does not have the backbone to pull that much drag, you're making it that much harder on yourself to control the fish and get it in the boat. That's why most people throwing topwaters want a 60# class rod, or maybe even a 50# class if its a higher end rod with sufficent backbone.

So, for YFT topwater tossing, you may be undergunned for a decent sized YFT from a partyboat with that rod. Just my two cents....

That's doesn't mean I wouldn't bring it to throw when the big YFT are not around, if you get tired of tossing the Gator. BTW, I don't think they make an Ugly Stik spinner that I'd be comfortable throwing for YFT.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Most people want 65-80# line for YFT so they can pull 20# or so of drag. I think, since your YFT fishing is all from a party boat with at least 20 other people, you do want at least this much drag. But if your rod does not have the backbone to pull that much drag, you're making it that much harder on yourself to control the fish and get it in the boat. That's why most people throwing topwaters want a 60# class rod, or maybe even a 50# class if its a higher end rod with sufficent backbone.

additionally....fellow fisherman are not going to be pleased if you're fishing 12lbs of drag and fighting a 50lb fish for over an hour :mad:

7. word-doctor

additionally....fellow fisherman are not going to be pleased if you're fishing 12lbs of drag and fighting a 50lb fish for over an hour :mad:

I agree, having been on the receiving end of that scenario. I think when the YFT are clearly there I'll be using one of my two broomsticks with 18#+ of drag.