POS Milk Crate Now Ultimate!

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Uncle Russ, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Gentlemen:

I have the high honor and distinct privilege to tell all of you that the POS is ready--but no longer deserves the name. In fact, it can now not only compete with the "UMC" but is itself worthy of that name. I will admit to having had my doubts--but so did Michaelangelo when he was diving into a block of Carrera Marble to create the David or the Pieta.

Russ

2. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I'm waiting for the unvailing before I show my "?MC"

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I think the 4 rods I brought for the big E was a perfect amount, even though I didn't really use 2 of them too much. Some guys had multiple popping rods rigged up and ready to go, but i don't think that'd help that much. it only takes a few seconds to tie a new lure on. plus after 8 hours of straight casting, it's a nice break :)

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I think the 4 rods I brought for the big E was a perfect amount :)

I just peeked into Uncle Russ's super secret shop and took a picture of his POS crate.:)

Attached Files:

5. awesum

awesum Senior Member

I think the 4 rods I brought for the big E was a perfect amount, even though I didn't really use 2 of them too much. Some guys had multiple popping rods rigged up and ready to go, but i don't think that'd help that much. it only takes a few seconds to tie a new lure on. plus after 8 hours of straight casting, it's a nice break :)

I get real nervous without backup rigs......:eek:

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

backup rigs meaning backup reels or backup rods/reels? i have backup reels......i've never busted a rod (knock on wood). If i buy another casting rod I'd bring that, to make 5 overall.

7. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Me too. I'll be taking 3 jigging outfits and 2 for casting/popping and one heavy rod on the July 3rd trip and might be going light. It's gonna be 3 days on the water and if you don't have it or something breaks down you can be wishin instead of fishin.

Fred

8. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

:D I just peeked into Uncle Russ's super secret shop and took a picture of his POS crate.:)

The knobs give it away.:D :D :D

9. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

whatever it is, hope its heavy enough to keep from tipping over. I have seen a few that fall over due to being topheavy. rigs and jigs spill out everywhere. I take bricks, wieghts, whatever- and put them in the bottom of mine. Also zip-tied some rubber on the bottom to keep it from sliding :) bungie cord all the rods together when the boat is moving to keep them from slapping each other which can cause stress cracks that will lead to a broken rod. :) these new lightweight rods are sensitive and need to be handled like virgin kitty :)

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

snagged You hit the nail on the head. Those knobs look like they were designed for a Kodiak bear feeding on salmon all summer---oh wait! :) MrBill: When and if you lay eyes on the new POS, you will have to admit that there ain't an ounce of plastic (or, for that matter, fiberglass) in it. Those materials are fine for a mechanical engineer--but the POS is made of wood grown under God's good grace and assembled with the love and tenderness, not just of a craftsman, but of the kind of artistic genius that comes along once or twice in a millenium. You and Gunsmoke have your place in all this--even Michaelangelo had to admit that Da Vinci was the superior engineer--even if the $hit he designed didn't work--:D M. was a poet in stone--U.R. is a poet in the finest woodwork. God has inspired a few geniuses in the last thousand years...

...But I don't want to brag.

I came out of my last two trips thinking that 4 rigs were perfect--some backup built in. I swore I would never take more than that. But now...I want to play with my stuff. The bad news is that Drifter and Steve and James have two of my rigs in Venice right now--Noone knows what condition those will be in when they get back to Austin--the good news is that the Stella had no line on it (I couldn't take time from finishing the milk crate to spool it) so I sent 400 yards of 80 pound Braid--but since the three of them are now Government managers, there is no way they could have agreed on how to spool it.

So I'm taking 8 rigs--even if I have to leave some buried in my bunk.

As to my milk crate, it is more like a crucible to hold the finest heavy cream. It will not fall down, even in the heaviest seas. Its appeal is, that in addition to beauty, it embodies the ultimate in headboat functionality. It has a 6 square foot footprint and is 18 inches high. It will have an extremely low center of gravity with about 100 pounds of lead--bottom rigs and jigs, on the lowest level, and lighter gear on top. It also makes a great seat, because if you sit on it, you won't end up with an OTI 600 gram jigging rod up your ass.

But again, as we all know, the Lord rarely endows genius with bodily strength. And wisdom almost always is housed in the bodies of the old and frail. I therefore remain open to granting anyone who wishes--the honor of hauling that heavy S.O.B. up those stairs. :cool:

One last thing, MrBill: Uncle Russ could not have created that label--after all he placed second in the 1955 San Antonio Spelling Bee. I'm just sayin!

Russ

11. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

LOL!! cant wait to see the pics of it :) all of yall on a boat together, would be dangerous! :)

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

13. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Russ, I hope you understand that if any metal fasteners are used in wood projects they automaticly are graded with such things as undersized comodes, short bunks plastic garbage cans.
    Woog rocket launchers must only be made with glued joints. :D

14. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

But again, as we all know, the Lord rarely endows genius with bodily strength. And wisdom almost always is housed in the bodies of the old and frail. *********************
    I call bull on this as in the 60's I knew it all as I watched both Ed Sullivian
    and the Smothers Brothers and I was fit and full of Spit, Whit, Sh%T
    and now know more than I ever rember LOL...

I don't have new photos of the origional milk crate or org. rev II. so here are previous ones. OMC was built for 1 fishermen\Hippie\Redneck on one of Elloits 1st 60 hr trips on the Casey. OMC rev II was built for 3 to fish out of in 07.

Just haven fun
    K2

Attached Files:

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think he was referring to the label on the SKB box that you posted the pic of

If not then I am with you :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

d-a

16. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

"Last edited by MrBill : Today at 06:52 PM. "

Ah, MrBill, you sly, specail Devil you. Give a man a fish and he will eat for one day--teach him Photoshop and...

snagged--I was going to glue the whole thing together with buffalo sinew and Gorilla snot, with leather hinges soaked in urine and chewed by squaws--but stainless screws and wood glue seemed so much easier.

Russ

Russ

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

[ the POS is made of wood grown under God's good grace and assembled with the love and tenderness, not just of a craftsman, but of the kind of artistic genius that comes along once or twice in a millenium. ...But I don't want to brag.
    Russ

Just curious. Has the master woodworker and artistic genius of the millennium taken any pictures of his masterpiece? Some of us humble servants would like to see this famous creation that we have been hearing about for over a month.

18. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

MrBill: Thanks so much for asking. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of every phase of construction as did Gunsmoke with the concrete-filled wonder. My 8 X 10 patio is not as impressive as the environs of his shop. Whereas he has huge machines for every type of operation, I only have a few screwdrivers and wrenches lying around. Also, I haven't used a digital camera in a while so there would be some challenges there as well.

But the crate is doing well--the only thing about it is that I have lost touch somewhat with the original intent of a milk crate--and the POS is more like an enormous tackle box that takes 4 men to lift when full. (Those of you who are planning to lift it for me might want to work out by being the pall bearers at a fat man's funeral.) The rod holders are turning out to be something of an afterthought. Would you believe that putting rod-holders around the sides of a box you need to open frequently could cause problems? Mercy me! Who knew?????

I will definitely post a picture once I get the rod holders installed in such a way that the rods do not interfere with the door or, conversely, opening the door doesn't break 5-grand worth of rods. A milk-crate without rod-holders is like a Democrat without a soul--no offense to the Clintons intended.

But the most important reason I have not taken pictures is that I don't have an impressive guard dog like the one Gunsmoke added to the mix for the sake of variety. The neighbors have a broke-back old dachsund that comes by every so often to drag his dick along the patio, and I was going to snap a picture of him doing that, but when I reached for the camera, he tried to piss on the crate and I had to kick his old ass off the porch. Later he came back and tried to hump my leg.

You know, MrBill, there is another possibility you may not have considered: that the POS crate does not actually exist. :cool:

Russ

19. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

:D LOL!!!:) :) :D :D That is too dang funny about the dog. Man, I would be grinning like crazy if I could "Porch rub" the neighbor's house everyday.

20. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

UR with the neighbors dog

Attached Files:

21. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Bellyups: I just love the expression on that dog's face. It actually looks as though it knows it's going to buy the farm!

As to the dog in question--the one who thinks my leg is Lassie--I don't drink any more--not because I don't like to (and the good news is it doesn't bother me at all to be around people who do--in fact I like the fumes :) ) but way back in my heavy drinking days, my ex-wife and I lived a little bit down from an old German immigrant lady who walked some kind of mal-formed schauzer type critter on a leash. Whenever she came past our house, she would stop so the dog could crap on our lawn. Now at that time, my self-esteem was kind of low--we were living in a cheap-assed 2-bedroom rent house--not much better than MrBill's and Gunsmoke's double-wides--and sitting out on the front porch listening to country music real loud in a plastic chair with a 5-liter bottle of Carlo Rossi or a quart of Bert Wheeler's Private Stock ($4.39 when that was some real money) was about all I had to make me happy.

So this woman would walk along and let her dog leave a turd on the lawn. What I need to convey here is that hard liquor--and even wine in sufficient quantities--tended to accentuate what my AA group later defined as "...intense, latent anger." At times, I would cuss her out in English and she would yell back at me in German. I knew where she lived, but there were some connections--(my ex worked with her daughter and her granddaughter took piano lessons with my daughter--something like that)--and I told my ex-wife I was going to eat a bunch of fish and all-bran all weekend, then take a triple dose of Milk of Magnesia, and go over there when I knew she was looking, and drop a load on her lawn that would make the Guiness Book of World Records. She (my ex-wife--not the German woman--pleaded with me not to and actually shed tears. My ex never understood me.

The statute of limitations on disorderly conduct expired years ago. My ex-wife and I are (by definition) no longer together.

Russ