Port A

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by MrBill, Jun 7, 2009.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I've been meaning to give a report on the fishing out of Port A the past few weeks. The water is clearing up week by week. Bait is arriving and plentiful.
    I noticed a big change in the water color this week. It's looking pretty good and blue water is getting closer and closer. Weeds are very thick in certain rips with the lighter winds. Some areas have seaweed thick enough to walk on.:D

The full moon this weekend caused some UFO's and eggs to hatch in some of the canal's.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Attached Files:

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

wtf is that

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

If you haven't been down to the coast lately, you will notice the clarity of the water is improving. The billfish have been plentiful. This weekend I would guess at least 75 billfish were caught. Chatter on the radio was all talk about the great billfish bite. Many sailfish, white marlin, and blue marlin flags are flying on all the sportfishing boats.

Here's a couple of pictures of the bay system and how it's improving on water clarity.

Attached Files:

4. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

wtf is that

Green underwater dock lights. Supposed to attract plankton and soon to follow are bait fish and the predator fish.

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Green underwater dock lights. Supposed to attract plankton and soon to follow are bait fish and the predator fish.

The lights the last few weeks have really attracted the bait. The funny thing about the lights is the way the fish work them. They always swim counter clock wise around the center of the light. Small fish towards the center, larger ones to the outer rim of the light. Once in a while a large species will come thrashing though the rotation of fish and eat a few. After about one minute of the attack, the rotation of fish presumes.These lights are excellent for cast nets. Two or three tosses and your live bait well is full.:D

Attached Files:

• pa1.jpg
      pa1.jpg
      File size:
      228.1 KB
      Views:
    • pa7.jpg
      pa7.jpg
      File size:
      174.9 KB
      Views:
    • pa6.jpg
      pa6.jpg
      File size:
      179.6 KB
      Views:
    • pa5.jpg
      pa5.jpg
      File size:
      179.3 KB
      Views:
    • pa8.jpg
      pa8.jpg
      File size:
      251.6 KB
      Views:
  6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

This is also the time of year when you discover boat problems. It's a scary feeling when you run out for a couple of hours and notice the boat is feeling heavy. That means water in the hull.:mad: After spending time trying to get to the bilge pump that is so deep in water that you can hardly reach it to tap it with a gaff you have to ask yourself "Do we go for it or make a run back to port".

The need for a couple of drops to get dinner brings out the worse of us.:eek: After ten minutes of catching snapper you find yourself standing near the transom in three inches of water. That's when cut the lines, and get the boat on a plane. :eek: Thank goodness the deep waters are full of snapper right now. Two at time with live bait from the green lights is faster than any jig.

Attached Files:

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The inshore waters have been very productive. If you go the area's that aren't fished often, you can catch some nice state snapper. They aren't as big as the deep water snapper, but jigging for them is fun. The biggest problem is the kingfish. They are the ultimate jig stealer's. We've caught some pretty big kings this year. I try not to target them but sometimes they are unavoidable. A big one will give you a nice fight if using light tackle.

Attached Files:

8. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

9. wellcraft26

wellcraft26 Senior Member

Snapper on the half shell?Maybe with some crab or blackend shrimp? on a bed of dirty rice?and grilled veggies?....
    I have a old 1957 LoneStar that has an electronic bilge pump. It comes on every 2 min for 5 seconds- if there is resitsance on the impeller it runs till its dry. cept you have to remember to turn it on!
    Great story/pics Mr Bill.thanks for sharing. I hear green light travels further under water.

10. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

nice haul! looks more fun than the Big E trip :)

11. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

Love them Snappers ,nice report Mr. Bill

12. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

nice haul! looks more fun than the Big E trip :)

Hey Skeeter....The Big E rocks. Leave it alone already...sheesh.

Bashing an inanimate object like a boat is one thing. Bashing a boat that people use to make a living is another.
    You are not only bashing the Big E, but you are bashing the livelihoods of all of the good people that are connected to the whole operation and all of us that enjoy fishing on the boat.

You should just leave those good people alone and let them continue on with their business.

Sorry about venting here...but...bashing the Big E is not too cool.

13. awesum

awesum Senior Member

14. SkeeterRonnie

Hey Skeeter....The Big E rocks. Leave it alone already...sheesh.

Bashing an inanimate object like a boat is one thing. Bashing a boat that people use to make a living is another.
    You are not only bashing the Big E, but you are bashing the livelihoods of all of the good people that are connected to the whole operation and all of us that enjoy fishing on the boat.

You should just leave those good people alone and let them continue on with their business.

Sorry about venting here...but...bashing the Big E is not too cool.

i am entitled to my opinion. thanks. this trip, THAT I COMMENTED ON, does look like more fun. having adventurous conditions(water in bilge area), and having to make quick drops and jump on plane was what I was referring to. any trip with Mr Bill is adventurous!!! so yes, this trip did look like it was more fun. change your tampax and worry about your own thread.

Snagged likes this.
  15. STx Fisherman

I take that insult seriously....coming from a whining p*ssy like yourself.

16. SkeeterRonnie

LOL!! potty mouth. act your age old timer. LOL!! I'd hate for you to bite off more than you could chew. and you and I both know we will cross paths again one day.

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

18. STx Fisherman

It just felt good to say that... :D

19. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I fished on the Hard Times .... a 42' Luhrs .... Saturday. We went out 53 miles and never saw anything but green water.

Yea, I know. But, it's a cleaner green than a few weeks ago.:) I noticed that certain areas running offshore have better water than others. The strong currents aren't up on top. Blue water is below the green surface color in certain areas. You can tell when you drop a jig. The first 20 to 30 feet the jig will almost go down at 90 degree's. Then it starts taking off at an angle real fast.

The fish are present even though the surface tells you a different story. I messed up the other night and was going through some recent pictures and accidentally deleted pictures of a 67 pound ling caught on a jig.:mad:

Lessoned learned. Don't drink and mess with the camera to show buddy daily pictures.

20. wacker

wacker Senior Member

I must say I am a little disapointed you aren't wearing your tuna face Mr Bill. WTF??? Keep on them and have fun.

OH, The big E sucks!:eek:

Just kidding......:D