Port A Scatcat long range

Discussion in 'Boat Pooling' started by Snagged, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Talked to the people who have the Scatcat and they want to get into longrange fishing.

Now to make this interesting this could be a Tuna trip or a deep drop for Swordfish, Tilefish and grouper.

They would like to have the boat go out on 10/24 and return on 10/26.

The boat will need 20 anglers at $650 per head.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

3. shanker

shanker Senior Member

sounds VERY interesting....

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Please post more information on this trip.

How far are they willing to go?
    Like Bret said, what's the speed on that boat?

One of our forum member used to work on that boat, maybe he can shade some light for us.

5. papio

papio Senior Member

Scatcat is a catamaran type boat smooth riding and lots of space inside. Not as big as the Big E and I don't recall any ample space for long rod casting. Great bottom fishing vessel with serious electric reels on board. Don't know it's max speed but will make a decent fun long ranger.

I'd be very interested but will be fishing in Arizona that week. Good Luck to you all.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

My fear is that they WANT to get into long range fishing meaning they don't really know how to do it now.....or did I read that wrong?

Is it a steel or aluminum boat? Aluminum boats (like the capt john) sit high in the water and do get tossed around pretty good when just sitting. They cut through 4' seas very well being a cat.

No casting room kind of kills the fun in these gulf trips which is casting for yellow. you can still jig and chunk so thats fine.

to fish swords and really deep drop theyll need to know what they're doing. sounds like they have the deep grouper/tiles covered, but i don't know about swords.

do we get golden tiles here, or just the blue line?

7. margarita mojo

margarita mojo Senior Member

Maybe some discounts since we would be the guinee pigs so to speak! Win Win for both.

Joe

8. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

awesome to see another outfitter step up.... there may be a learning curve on gaffing, but driving to floaters and doing drifts is pretty self explanatory. :) hitting the "right" floater will be the key. I wish them the best.

Electric reels set up for deep drops will be really neat!

I find this "idea" to be very intresting. I cant make it this year, but will put them down as a possibility next year. You can side arm a big ol topwater just as easy as overhand.... may lose 20 yards of distance though.

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah...the gaffing i witnessed on the port a boats was um.....less than ideal.

10. JasonF

JasonF Senior Member

Dolphin Docks' 80 hr is $150 cheaper and they have already proven to me that they know what the heck is going on out there.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

perhaps, but they go so slow. half that trip is running. i like having the most fishing time possible. unfortunatley, it doesnt appear there are any other party boats in TX who can do 20+ knots

Angelo - tell Bogan to bring the Jamaica down here in the winter!

12. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Speed is about 15 knots.
    Range is about 500 miles.
    You can buy food on the boat or bring your own.
    The owners are willing to put the money into the boat if they can see a profit in it. It is a business for them not a hobby.
    At the present the casting is on the bow unless you sidearm and move up.
    As to type of fishing, sword fishing would be a different trip from YF tuna trips. One of the Captians has caught over 30 swords this year along with tile fish and grouper.
    Gaffing was already discussed with the owners and captians.

We can make suggestions after this trip as the owners do want to do the trips right as well as make a profit.

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

good to know they have some sword experience. is the bow open? I haven't seen it.

Honestly - I'd prefer just doing an overnighter (30 hr) to a rig for tuna much like we do in the NE canyons. these 3 and 4 day trips are nice, but you need to use vacation if you work and is just a lot of money. tuna is my main goal anyway, the grouper and AJs are fine, but really not a highlight for me.

At 15 knots I don't think an overnighter is reasonable though.

14. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

SCATCAT

Here a picture i found on google search engine

Attached Files:

15. jim smarr

jim smarr Guest

I may even try this. Tuna on a popper with instruction from the man in the "Famous" yellow shirt. Jerry has taught his tricks to many. Maybe I will be fortunate enough to get in one of his classes. The trip would be worth it to see TJ and Jerry in action. I might need to bring my big igloo.

16. SkeeterRonnie

theres plenty of room up front for 6 popping folk.. you will have jiggin folk, and chunkin folk on the sides. AWESOME! I like the front as well... no long pulpit- you could very possibly put 3 people on each side of the front area....

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

anyone know where the bunks would be?

18. SkeeterRonnie

good question.. didnt even think of that. maybe down in the hull?

19. Argo

Argo Senior Member

dont know but they have alot of sitting area inside the cabin...... maybe you could convince them to upen up the upper deck for storage of stuff....

20. papio

papio Senior Member

What bunks? Last time i was on it the bunks were any where u could fit ur self in the prone position, hehehe.