Port A Report

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by etan, Oct 10, 2006.

1. etan

etan Senior Member

I just got back home today and checked the Landings. The Pelican had a 144# yft yesterday plus blackfin. Both Dolphin Docks and Deep Sea Headquarters are catching tuna when the go after them. The Dolphin left at 4:00 going on a 48 hr trip. Capt Dean told me they were going after tuna so I'll try to report when they come back.

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Did they get the YFT off a shrimper or were they deep?

3. etan

etan Senior Member

I'm sure it was inshore. It was just a day charter. Probably behind a shrimper, but this time of year they could have anchored up and chummed for them. Capt. Dean told me he saw a 300# yft behind a shrimper the other day. Sounds interesting doesn't it!

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Thanks for the report.

300# YFT? Maybe Captn. Dean saw a whale LOL, Captn Dean is a good Captn I am pretty sure he knows what he was talking about.

I think I need a part time job at the shrimper.

5. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

You get a part time shrimping job there TJ and you'll be able to keep your rods and reels.

Great report Etan. Thanks for sharing. I like the thoughts of a 300 lb yft. :) I got dibs!!!!

6. Pope

Pope Senior Member

My day is coming, my day is coming...

7. etan

etan Senior Member

I live here in Port A and used to post reports all the time on Allcoast with little or no response. Here on this site I have fished with minnows and know everyone will enjoy the reports. I'll try not to be lazy and keep it up!

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Etan,
    Thanks for the Port A report and keep them coming as me and a lot of offshore guys in San Antonio have places in Port A. It's our second life. Unfortunately we have to work extra hard to pay those high property taxes in Port A. I had a friend two weeks ago pull up a YF head after a shark attacked the fish. It was on for over one hour on a 80W. He estimated from the size of the head that the fish was at least 225. They caught it on the troll between a triple of anchored shrimp boats in 42 fathoms.

I ate lunch today with 4 guys and all we could talk about was the tuna bite going on off Port A. Big tuna are in very close with nobody going after them. The big problem is that people are preparing for hunting season and have forgotten about the fish. There is a rumor floating around that a 245 pounder was landed on a private boat this Monday. We were planning on hitting the water this weekend but the cold front has NOAA forecasting 10 footers for Friday and 8 footers Saturday. We are all trying our best to head down Wed night but I doubt it will happen. Keep us informed here as I talk to a lot of guys that don't post or read the internet.

9. etan

etan Senior Member

I'll check around tomorrow on a 245# yft. If it happened someone will know. We haven't had a good yft bite behind the shrimpers in a while. Maybe this will be the year. The weather makes it hit and miss to get offshore from now on. You're right about the property taxes, we had a bill in the mail today. I guess its better than an income tax.

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Remember, it's a rumor. I got third hand info today, and the guy that caught it tends to stretch his stories. He never hangs his fish at the docks so I'm guessing it was in the 180 pound class.

After this cold front pushes though this weekend the fishing will change. I think the tuna will leave the shrimpers. Some of the shrimp boats are holding the tunas, and a lot of them have sharks. It's also hard to find them. Not that many shrimpers in the gulf as years ago. I understand that the AJ bite has picked up. Lot's of 40-50 pounders if you hit the right spot.

11. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Sure would like to head out of Port Mansfield and hit the shrimpers on the way out to the new floater. Probably wouldn't make it to the floater. The big makos will start setting up shop on the shrimpers soon. saw a huge one one a shrmper one time. It would break lose on the bonita/tuna when they shoveled cull overboard, then just swim in big circles after everything calmed down. Actually he or she calmed things down. Cull in the water but no tuna! Those boogers decided to hang deep and just watch lunch float away after they became the main course.

200-300lb tuna off Port A. Just a shame I am have to work!

12. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Thanks for the report Etan.. Hows the red tide??? It was pretty bad for us on Friday.... but was better after the wind shifted.

13. etan

etan Senior Member

I took a long walk on the beach and I didn't notice it at all. I saw maybe 10 dead shad floating in the channel and that was all. The Gulf Eagle ran out this morning at 5:00 looking for tuna. John is running the boat while the Pelican is in drydock. Nobody had heard of a big yft being caught.