Port A June 10th-quicktrip

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Bret, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I was back down in Port A for my family reunion. I had taken on a lot of water last saturday and was a little concerned about my transom too. Found the leak, the plastic hose barb for the intake side of the raw water pump had broken and water was just pouring in.. West marine had 2 of them for under $7.Easy fix. After closer inspection, The Transom is fine, but the hull to deck joint had a crack in it but is only cosmetic. So, with all of the good weather and flat seas, I asked my cousins oldest son Ryan (13) and his uncle Donald to go for a quick run offshore. This was Ryans first offshore trip and he was excited. We headed to the liberty ship and were the first boat there.. We set anchor and scoped out until we were on top of the wreck. Right away we started feeding the triggers, Ryan c & r'd two Triggers. so I start the chum line and right off the bat we had two ling come up. I freeline a whole menhaden back and bingo its on. after a short run the uni-uni failed(I didnt tie it). meanwhile Ryan was tired of feeding the triggers so we heads up to the bow and drops down and He is hooked up--- nearly dropped the rod but recomposed himself and walked back to the cockpit and brought the fish in .. a huge mangrove snapper--6-8lb. Huge to me because the only other mangrove I had seen before saturday was about 6 inches long and was used for bait. Then I bait him up and he gets another. Well some ling show back up and I feed it to him , hand it to Ryan & he fights it for a minute and then it gets off. We were running out of bait and time so we pulled anchor and trolled some weedlines nearby and Ryan got a nice 10-12lb bonita. So we reel em up and head back in.. at the dock just after noon. Talley for the day 4 Mangroves 1 42in ling and the Bonita. We did catch a small amberjack had a couple of bite offs probably kings. It was perfect weather to introduce a newbie to offshore fishing. The smile on that kids face was certainly worth the price of admission. My aunt has pics and I will post in a day or so after she sends them to me .. The green water turned to blu about 12 miles out and had about 60ft visiblility. Ran out at 25kts and ran in at 28. Awesome weekend!

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Good to hear it wasn't major problem on your transom.

any picture?

thanks for the report

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Yeah, I was very relieved to find out that it was only cosmetic.
    My Aunt has the fish pics and she should get them to me in a day or so. I have some Action shots that I will download after I find my camera. Oh yeah I forgot to mention the Bonita makes a great sashimi if bled out properly.
    The snapper sashimi was good as well.

4. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I can't believe that you would eat bonita ;)

You are making me hungry... Glad that you got out for a while. Sounds like it was fun.

5. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I wish I had taken some pics of the fish but didnt. here are the action shots
    The 1st one speaks for itself, we slept most of the way in.... The second one Ryan is fighting a bonita.

I will post some fish pics when I get them..

Attached Files:

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

here are some fish pics. the first pic is of the snapper. correct me if I am wrong, but mangrove is what I think they are.. the second is the ling, then the bonita, followed by the Bucket o fish.

Attached Files: