Popping Rods specifics/capabilities

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by hamptonsurf, Jul 30, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I’ve been looking at more popping rods and as a result of an earlier post, I’ve decided to buy a stock rod rather than a custom rod until I figure out exactly what’s working for me. So, I’m either getting a Tuna Sniper or the 7’6” popping rod from OTI. I know the Tuna Sniper is all the rage, but I generally don’t like long rods (or extra short ones for that matter). SO, I am leaning toward the 7’6”. Figured I’d pair it with a Saragosa 18000 with 65lb braid on it. How would this set up cast with Komodos, Wombats….ocean lures (much lighter). I see the two weights they offer, but the lure weight seems high to me (7 and 10 oz?).

I don’t care about casting 200yds, but I need to get some distance with a variety of lure weights. I also don’t want to sacrifice fighting ability, so not sure if the lighter weight is substantial enough. Thanks.

2. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I am in the same situation. I would like to get my first popping rod to go with my Saragosa 18000F. I am leaning towards the OTI 7'6" rod but not sure if I should get the 50# or 80# rod.

Ty

3. papio

papio Senior Member

Guys, get the 7'6" 80lb and Tuna Sniper 40-60lb and you'll be all set.

4. HWK

HWK Senior Member

The T Sniper 40-60 would be my choice. The rod will throw 50-60 gram lures all the way up to the 200 gram, and has plenty of backbone. Looks good to,

5. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Guys, get the 7'6" 80lb and Tuna Sniper 40-60lb and you'll be all set.

The Tuna Sniper would be too long to fit in my car (sport coupe). So I need to stick with the 7'6" rod so the longest piece should not cause too much trouble.

But why the 80# over the 50#? I currently have the 600g jigging rod and found it to be too stiff for my needs. Not sure if the 80# popping rod is comparable to that, but would like to know the reasoning behind your choice of the 80# popping rod.

Thanks,
    Ty

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

the 7'6" 80lb oti casts very well. you'll be surprised the distance you can get with this rod. dont worry about the lure rating on this rod. it loads up easy!

ty- the 80 lb 7'6" is not stiff at all. i think the 50lb 7'6" would be a rod for 40-80lb tunas max. im sure they can land a larger fish but i wouldnt want to with it. i have both and prefer the 80lb

7. hamptonsurf

Thanks Guys. Unfortunately, I haven't been in this game long enough to be on other boats where people are using these rods. I'd love to just have 1 or 2 casts with each before ordering. I think I am confortable with getting the heavy popping rod. Maybe add the sniper at a later date when more comfortable with longer rods. I like my 13 ft surf rod....but thats a whole different game.

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Thanks Guys. Unfortunately, I haven't been in this game long enough to be on other boats where people are using these rods. I'd love to just have 1 or 2 casts with each before ordering. I think I am confortable with getting the heavy popping rod. Maybe add the sniper at a later date when more comfortable with longer rods. I like my 13 ft surf rod....but thats a whole different game.
    before i started popping for tunas all i did was surf fish with 11-14ft rods(conoflex, breakaway, purglas, ppt). i can assure you that the 7'6" 80lb loads great and cast far. its not a technical rod.

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I've got both the 7'6" OTI rods in a custom wrap. They both cast well. If fact, I have a stock 7'6" 80# that was used once. If you want a deal, just PM me.

10. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Thanks guys I appreciate all the feedback.

I will be exchanging my OTI 5'6" 600g spinning rod. I never used it, but its just too stiff for me. I will just pay the difference for the OTI 7'6" spinning rod. Looks like I will get the 80# rod from all the above recommendations.

Ty

11. papio

papio Senior Member

Ty, I have both the 7'6" 80lb and T/S 40-60lb. I didn't need two 80lb popping rods as I already had the 7'6" prior the Sniper becomming available. With the Sniper I have I lighter and strong rod that can fling various weight lures a good distsnce.

The 7'6" is my power popper and also my long jigging rod. The rod is mildly stiff - stiffer than the sniper. You will feel the power on the tip but by no means a broom stick. You will get good distance on this rod.

12. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Ty, I have both the 7'6" 80lb and T/S 40-60lb. I didn't need two 80lb popping rods as I already had the 7'6" prior the Sniper becomming available. With the Sniper I have I lighter and strong rod that can fling various weight lures a good distsnce.

The 7'6" is my power popper and also my long jigging rod. The rod is mildly stiff - stiffer than the sniper. You will feel the power on the tip but by no means a broom stick. You will get good distance on this rod.

I appreciate the additional feedback, since this is my first popping rod I am not exactly sure what to look for.

I did recently get a custom Hopper 6'6" 60# spinning rod, that I can use for lighter stuff and go with the OTI 7'6" 80# as my power popping rod.

My main concern is not repeating my previous rookie mistake of getting a 600g jigging rod (OTI and Hopper) that ended up being too stiff for my needs.

Ty

13. hamptonsurf

is the hopper a spinner or conventional?

14. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

is the hopper a spinner or conventional?

My custom 6'6" 25-60# Hopper rod is spinning with upgraded guides, wrap, and epoxy vs their commercial rod. You can checkout the standard 6'6" Hopper Spinning Rod in the Goliath Grouper video #4 on the CaptHarry website.

My Hopper 5'8" 600g rod is conventional and my OTI 5'6" 600g rod is spinning.

P.S.
    Cool screen name.

Regards,
    Ty Hampton

15. hamptonsurf

hahaha, nice. I'd buy your 600g hopper if it was spinning. Oh well, was just wondering. Good Luck! if you get your OTI Popping rod first, let me know what you think.

16. pipelayer2

pipelayer2 Junior member

Am I mistaken, or are the Tuna Snipers two (2) piece rods? Would not be a transportation issue then.

17. hamptonsurf

the popping rod is, but not 2 pieces with ferrules in the middle like freshwater rods.

18. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

hahaha, nice. I'd buy your 600g hopper if it was spinning. Oh well, was just wondering. Good Luck! if you get your OTI Popping rod first, let me know what you think.

Thanks for the offer. I would do it to! hahaha
    I should have gotten the Hopper 500g conventional rod instead of the 600g rod when I made that purchase decision.

Ty

19. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Am I mistaken, or are the Tuna Snipers two (2) piece rods? Would not be a transportation issue then.

Yes very true. Indeed OTI Popper and Sniper Rods are two piece.

A six foot rod is already too long to fit in my car. I drive a sport coupe (Benz C230 coupe and a Volvo C30 R coupe) both are stick shift so the longer rods will get in the way of my driving.

I wonder what the length of both rods are when taken apart.

Ty

20. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Yes very true. Indeed OTI Popper and Sniper Rods are two piece.

A six foot rod is already too long to fit in my car. I drive a sport coupe (Benz C230 coupe and a Volvo C30 R coupe) both are stick shift so the longer rods will get in the way of my driving.

I wonder what the length of both rods are when taken apart.

Ty

Ty, sounds like it might be time to change to a nice 4x4 extended cab truck for ur fishing habit! :D

21. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Ty, sounds like it might be time to change to a nice 4x4 extended cab truck for ur fishing habit! :D

Han,

Very good point, but I enjoy driving smaller sport coupes too much. However, I have been looking at the new Volvo XC60, BMW X6, Infinity EX35/FX35, and the Mazda CX7.

Or just a roof rack for my rods will solve that problem.

Ty