Popping Rods/Reels

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by SoonerNDN8608, Feb 7, 2009.

1. SoonerNDN8608

SoonerNDN8608 Senior Member

Trying to get the right set up for this type of fishing. My last set up couldnt handle the job. Can you go with a Penn reel or Quantum Reel for this type of fishing? Also what type of rod could a guy use? Power/length Thanks KJ

2. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

shimano is alll i have to say...oh then oti 60-80 rod

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Trying to get the right set up for this type of fishing. My last set up couldnt handle the job. Can you go with a Penn reel or Quantum Reel for this type of fishing? Also what type of rod could a guy use? Power/length Thanks KJ

You could possibly get by with a quantum Cabo, but the minimum for Tuna should be a Shimano Saragossa with the newer spool nut.

I would look into the OTI popping rods, the 80lb tuna sniper would be my first choice but If your on a tight budget I would go for the 80Lb 7 ft 6 OTI popping rod and use the extra $75 dollars towards the Saragossa.

d-a

4. SoonerNDN8608

SoonerNDN8608 Senior Member

Thanks d-a for the info. You are talking about the Saragossa 1800f right? Spooled with 65# spectra. Let me ask you this when throwing the popper's at night, what color's do you like in the poppers?