Popping rod ?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by synthnut, Oct 13, 2009.

1. synthnut

synthnut Senior Member

Is there such a thing as a spinner popping rod in the 40-60 lb class that will throw lighter jigs ( 4 oz and under ) well , in the $200 range ? ....Looking for something 7 1/2 ft - 8 1/2 ft .....The OTI 7' 6" is a nice rod, but it's closer to $300 .... I will be mating this rod to the new Daiwa Saltist Spinner and use it as a setup for long casting to smaller Tuna , Blues , Stripers, etc..... I might be asking too much with so little money to spend , but I'm a wanna be small Tuna fisherman on a Striper budget ....Thanks, Jim

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

id keep your eyes peeled for the rod you're talking about. they pop up for sale pretty often and you may be able to get $200 for gently used.

3. synthnut

synthnut Senior Member

Mad Marlin,
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm not that familiar with Barbar rods, and it's really on the shorter side of what I am looking for ....Sincerely, Jim

4. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

5. GREYGHOST

GREYGHOST Guest

jaws 20/50,, awesome rod...

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

St Croix makes some quality rods for popping in $200 range.
    They are proven rods in Cape Cod.
    Threre are not many selections at True Wolrd for ST Croix rods. Call St Croix and ask which local shop carries the model you want.

7. synthnut

synthnut Senior Member

Thanks guys....I appreciate it ...150 lbs on a St Croix ? ...WOW !!.....Very nice ....Jim

8. synthnut

synthnut Senior Member

Does anyone know for sure which St Croix rod took that 150 lb Tuna ? ...I'm leaning toward the SWS76MHF but want to be sure before I buy ...Thanks, Jim

9. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Does anyone know for sure which St Croix rod took that 150 lb Tuna ? ...I'm leaning toward the SWS76MHF but want to be sure before I buy ...Thanks, Jim

SWS70MHF

Finchase'n on Vimeo
    Shaun landed this one on the St Croix and it was roughly 200# but he is also a very good angler.

YouTube - RiptideCharters's Channel
    I believe this was also landed on a St Croix
    Terry will confirm that one.

10. synthnut

synthnut Senior Member

Thanks for the video's .....That's one tough fight on a rod that long , but sometimes you gotta have that length to get to the fish !!..... Great shots and great team work when the fish got to the boat ....Jim

11. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Thanks for the video's .....That's one tough fight on a rod that long , but sometimes you gotta have that length to get to the fish !!..... Great shots and great team work when the fish got to the boat ....Jim

Actually Shaun made that look pretty easy. According to Terry it was about an hour fight. That fish was spent by the time it was gaffed. It was just laying on its side. I was shocked to hear that he boated that on the St Croix. A good angler with good tecnique and patience will usually win the battle...........

12. synthnut

synthnut Senior Member

If catching a fish like that with a St Croix rod takes plenty of patience , then I better save my $$$$ and get a stronger rod because patience is something that I've only read about , and never had any of .......;) ......Jim