360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Up to this point I have only thrown a Star SUS 16/30HC (too stiff... didn't cast well) or a Trevala XXH (too soft) at tuna. I was not super happy with either. A buddy of mine had a CMS rod that I liked but he doesn't know which blank. He bought it used and can't tell me much about it...

I am starting my research into which rod to go with. Mr Bill has a great sticky thread in this forum. It was a great start and really helped me visualize each rod's flex pattern under load.

My question is which length to go with?

Background: I fish Cape Cod. The fish as everyone knows range from small rats to giants.... But I want this rod aimed at 100 to 200 pound bluefin. I fish out of a 23 foot CC with a T-Top.

My gut tells me that I will like the 7 foot 6 inch rods better than the 8 foot 6 inch rods during the fight. I certainly like smaller trolling rods... I would like to be able to throw everything from an unweighted sluggo up to a 4 oz jig or popper. I know the trade off comes down to distance vs. fighting leverage (time). What type of distance is needed? What legnth of rod do I need to get that type of distance?

My experience so far tells me that with proper boat handling you can get right up on these fish. Don't come running in at 25 knots. Go slow and quitely. Watch where they are coming up. Anticipate. If you do that , you don't need a 100 yard cast.... But then again, it could help on some days.

I will more than likely match this rod up with a Saragosa 18000 or a Stella 18000 (if I win the lottery soon). I will more than likely want to use about 20 pounds of drag. I am not fishing 44 pounds... no way.

So I think I will be told that I need a different rod for every scenario. But I am not made of money (which is why the Saragosa is attractive). What do you guys think I should do about length?

Any suggestions for rods in the $200 to $300 dollar range?

Mike

·
723 Posts
Mike,

Sounds like you have thought this out quite well. If you prefer the shorter (7 1/2 foot) rod over a longer (8 to 8 1/2 foot) rod, then look at the OTI Ocean Xtreme Popping rod. 360Tackle :: Rods It is under $300 so that should fit the bill nicely.

·
2,924 Posts
I have spent a lot of time chasing those fish like many other great anglers on here, I have definitely changed my approach now. I used to use a 8'8" rod as I liked the additional casting distance as I felt I had an advantage. The 8'8" was no problem for me with yellowfins in the 120-140 pound range.

But Bluefins in cold water changed my thought process

I would say a 7'6" -8' rod is ideal because these fish are much larger and casting distance hasnt been an issue if you set up on them right. Personally Im using a prototype 7'6" rod from now on especially in October. The shorter rod will give you the leverage you need to land them in the most efficient manner while still being able to cast. On average these fish are around 170 pounds with your 200-300 mixed in

I fought 5 fish in one afternoon on a 8'6" rod in 400' of water and it down right kicked my ass and made me rethink my whole approach. Nothing like some humble pie to make you change hahahah Ive honestly never experienced pain like that before fighting fish

·
5,457 Posts
That's why I like the 80 lb 7'6 OTI extreme popping rod. Plenty of casting distance and lots of backbone to put the heat on once hooked.

d-a

·
147 Posts
I have spent a lot of time chasing those fish like many other great anglers on here, I have definitely changed my approach now. I used to use a 8'8" rod as I liked the additional casting distance as I felt I had an advantage. The 8'8" was no problem for me with yellowfins in the 120-140 pound range.

But Bluefins in cold water changed my thought process

I would say a 7'6" -8' rod is ideal because these fish are much larger and casting distance hasnt been an issue if you set up on them right. Personally Im using a prototype 7'6" rod from now on especially in October. The shorter rod will give you the leverage you need to land them in the most efficient manner while still being able to cast. On average these fish are around 170 pounds with your 200-300 mixed in

I fought 5 fish in one afternoon on a 8'6" rod in 400' of water and it down right kicked my ass and made me rethink my whole approach. Nothing like some humble pie to make you change hahahah Ive honestly never experienced pain like that before fighting fish

Prototype?? Something in the workings Gman? Something that could be available by next spring?:)

·
2,924 Posts
Prototype?? Something in the workings Gman? Something that could be available by next spring?:)

LOL yes it should

·
Spinal Rods
777 Posts
LOL yes it should

That rod and your casting ass better be on my boat on Fir. Make it happen.

I concur on all the suggestions so far. Even fighting these fish on the 7'6" rods can play havic. I really suggest trying to keep it as short as possible for the most cases. Or have both, LOL. The cape cod bft are demon fish and you never know what your getting. They are nothing like the NJ BFTs, that cold water gives them extra life. Both BD blanks are sweet but in al honesty go with the 200 for there, especially in that boat. We generally don't have trouble reaching them in our 23 CC.

·
2,924 Posts

I concur on all the suggestions so far. Even fighting these fish on the 7'6" rods can play havic. I really suggest trying to keep it as short as possible for the most cases. Or have both, LOL. The cape cod bft are demon fish and you never know what your getting. They are nothing like the NJ BFTs, that cold water gives them extra life. Both BD blanks are sweet but in al honesty go with the 200 for there, especially in that boat. We generally don't have trouble reaching them in our 23 CC.

honestly if i could cast a jigging rod at these fish I would

·
2,924 Posts

yes sir I will see what I can do LMFAO

·
Banned
76 Posts
All we run is 7'ers. Plenty of casting range and a HUGE advantage when your fighting a big fish over a longer rod.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Guys!!!

Great info as usual from the group here. It seem that the 7'6 rod is the correct length for our world here on the Cape.

Terry, Eric K told me he had a great time yesterday with you. You hammered 'em yet again!!! Great job!!

Mike

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is not just length. The rod have to have some backbone to fight bluefin in 150 - 200 lbs range.

Ksong,

Without holding one and just looking at Mr Bill's excellent post I am leaning toward the OTI 60 -80 rod. Does the OTI 7'6 rod only come in two piece? I prefer a one piece... less weak points to break.

I have an OTI 600 gram jigging rod that I really like so I am comfortable with the quality and the company.

Opinions?

Mike

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Mike,

The OTI 7'6" Ocean Xtreme is a 2 piece butt joint rod. Very strong. I would not worry about it breaking.
I agree with you.

·
2,924 Posts
I prefer a one piece... less weak points to break.

Mike

butt joints are the last thing you would need to be concerned about breaking. 90% of all casting rods come butt joint. Personally I've never seen one break in the joint section but I've seen a lot of broken rods in the mid or tip sections from anglers high sticking

PLUS

its an added benefit for traveling. My only suggestion would be to buy some cheap ferrel wax so the two pieces slide together easier and never push the two pieces totally together

·
147 Posts
Ksong,

Without holding one and just looking at Mr Bill's excellent post I am leaning toward the OTI 60 -80 rod. Does the OTI 7'6 rod only come in two piece? I prefer a one piece... less weak points to break.

I have an OTI 600 gram jigging rod that I really like so I am comfortable with the quality and the company.

Opinions?

Mike
Once together, you would NEVER know it's a 2 piece. I just purchased one and am very happy with the casting distance and very good backbone.

·
Banned
76 Posts
I prefer a one piece... less weak points to break.

While the ferrel technology has come a tremendious way from years ago, I'm also a firm believer in 1 piece rods. Unless I have to travel and the rod needs to pack down 1 piece is always the way I go.

The rod we use for all our big tuna casting is based on a 7 foot, 1 pc. Calstar Grafighter blank rated 40-100.
LINK Big Gun Rod

The guys at First Light also use the 7' Calstar, I believe they use the 30-80# blank on theirs.

The 40-100# rod will lift a BUS! 40# of drag and a harness just starts to show what the rod can do on a big fish. Casting is very good since the tip is fairly soft. I looked at a lot of blanks before going with this one, I'm VERY please with how it handles.

This is the rod in action on a big fish

This is the fish from the picture above

·
723 Posts
While the ferrel technology has come a tremendious way from years ago, I'm also a firm believer in 1 piece rods. Unless I have to travel and the rod needs to pack down 1 piece is always the way I go.

The rod we use for all our big tuna casting is based on a 7 foot, 1 pc. Calstar Grafighter blank rated 40-100.

The guys at First Light also use the 7' Calstar, I believe they use the 30-80# blank on theirs.

The 40-100# rod will lift a BUS! 40# of drag and a harness just starts to show what the rod can do on a big fish. Casting is very good since the tip is fairly soft. I looked at a lot of blanks before going with this one, I'm VERY please with how it handles.

I have never fished that FLA Popping rod, but I have heard great things about it. The people who own them, love them. Here is the link if you still want to go with the one piece rod:

https://id280.securedata.net/firstlightanglers.com/merchantmanager/index.php?cPath=0_6_110_219

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
I have been using Calster 700H and 700XH for long.
They can handle big tuna.
However, once you use lighter rods which can do what 700H or XH can do, there is no returnig point. The 700XH weighs about 18 - 19 oz. They are pretty light. But most high-end popping rods are under 16 oz now. It makes a huge difference while popping long hours.
I have been jigging with one-piece 8 - 9 ft rods for 30 years. I rarely feel any difference bewteen one piece long rod and butt jointed long popping rods.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts