360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you wanted a rod similar to the OTI 7'6" 2-piece spinning, but couldn't afford it, what other models would you look at ($75-$150 range)?

Looking to do heavy spinning w/ 65lb braid and a Cabo 80 (or similar)

·
1,105 Posts
The Ugly Stick Tiger comes in fairly heavy spinner. It certainly ain't an OTI, but it is affordable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm with UR on this. Get the heavy duty tiger ugly stick for under $75-Best value you will find in the under $200 range and will work.

That said, save up for an OTI. You won't believe the difference and will thank yourself later.

steve

·
1,105 Posts
When I bought my Tiger a number of years ago when I was stupid enough to think you could catch fish on anything other than an Accurate :cool: a guy at Academy here in Austin told me how they use them for live-baiting on the West Coast where he had lived for years. I bought mine (which happened to be conventional) for use with Calcutta 400 s and 700s for jetty fishing. It casts very well, and I have used it to haul huge jacks and bull reds out of literally Amazonian currents while rock hopping. The only caution I would give is that I found rough spots (like burrs) on the guides, not only of my rod but also of a couple of others in the store. Nothing that a manual inspection and fine file couldn't cure.

Russ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I found my rod today. Anyone ever use the Daiwa V.I.P. Series? It's 7' and rated for 15-40# line. Felt like a pretty nice rod...not nearly as heavy as the other glass rods that I've picked up in my search. It also has a nice triangle cut foregrip. $89.99 at Bass Pro.

Daiwa | Saltwater Rods

1 - 8 of 8 Posts