Popping rod blank

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by d-a, Apr 18, 2008.

1. d-a

d-a Senior Member

What blanks would be good for a popping rod?

I already have a Smiths 80P/35 popping rod, but need another blank for a back up.

d-a

2. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

d-a,

OTI will sell you a blank, and their 7.5ft PE8 rod would be tough to beat. If you're looking for an tough glass/graphite type blank, a Calstar 700H is probably still the most used tuna rod in the GOM.

3. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Both are great blanks (I have both). Other options would include the GUSA MonMags or Super Seeker CJBF70 series.

d-a,

OTI will sell you a blank, and their 7.5ft PE8 rod would be tough to beat. If you're looking for an tough glass/graphite type blank, a Calstar 700H is probably still the most used tuna rod in the GOM.

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

d-a,

Forgot to add that I didnt want a 2 piece rod. If the oti was a one piece rod I would already own one.

d-a

5. gman

gman Senior Member

Forgot to add that I didnt want a 2 piece rod. If the oti was a one piece rod I would already own one.

d-a

Curious why dont you want a 2 piece rod. They hold up perfect, if your concerned about strength and for traveling 2 piece rods are the best. All the top manufacturers of popping rods make 2 piece for a reason

6. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

These 2 piece rods are a handle type 2 piece maybe D-A doesn't realize that.
    It is the only way I would own a rod over 7'6''.There is absolutly no compromise on quality with this type of blank.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Curious why dont you want a 2 piece rod. They hold up perfect, if your concerned about strength and for traveling 2 piece rods are the best. All the top manufacturers of popping rods make 2 piece for a reason

I have always had bad luck with 2 piece rods, But I have never tried a butt joint. I guess i will see If TJ has a blank.

d-a

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If you are looking for one piece popping blank, check 7'9" St Croix Legend Tournament rated to 80 lbs. The rod from the blank weighs only 9 oz. :eek:
    But the blank is not cheap.

9. gman

gman Senior Member

I have always had bad luck with 2 piece rods, But I have never tried a butt joint. I guess i will see If TJ has a blank.

d-a

D-A I would never steer you wrong, I only suggest what I would use personally. Two piece butt joint rods are absolute animals no doubt about it they aren't engineered like the old style two piece rods. Iv'e caught some huge fish on both my Zenaq and Carpenter butt joints.

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

D-A I would never steer you wrong, I only suggest what I would use personally. Two piece butt joint rods are absolute animals no doubt about it they aren't engineered like the old style two piece rods. Iv'e caught some huge fish on both my Zenaq and Carpenter butt joints.

Gman

Thats what I like about this board. Everyones always looking to help some one else out.

Thanks

d-a

11. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

d-a,

I back up what gman is saying. I've landed YFT in the 130lb class on my Zenaq popping rod and its butt joint. Some of the most heavy duty popping rods are 2 piece: Zenaq, Carpenter, Souls, OTI etc. I don't have a single 1 piece popping rod, and never for a minute doubted that they'd stand up to the challenge.

12. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

If you are looking for one piece popping blank, check 7'9" St Croix Legend Tournament rated to 80 lbs. The rod from the blank weighs only 9 oz. .

Kil, the Wahoo only weighs 8oz, and the 80 Monster Mag comes in at a tad under 7oz, but is only rated 30-60#.

13. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

I would like to clarify, that Kil was stating that the finished ROD weighed in at 9oz, not the blank. I just got a chance to bend it, and it is indeed as light as a feather for an 8' blank. It's about to be built for Kil by his builder, Ralphie S aka Rodwinder.

14. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

d-a: If you have looked at the butt joint on your 80P/35, just that sight should be pretty convincing that if that rod were to break anywhere, it would not be there. And then, just think about it--that is the weak sister of the Japanese popping rods. Smith makes the much heavier Tokara 60 and Komodo Dragon, both of which are wusses compared to the Carpenter Wild Violence--all of which (I think I am right in saying this)--are butt joint rods.

Going one step further, I have a Souls 9 foot tuna popping rod which I bought from Anglers Pro Shop for distance casting. I have mentioned this rod in another thread. But I damned near fainted and cancelled the order when I found on the Souls website that it was a two-piece rod that joins in the middle!!!!! I called Randy in a panic about it, but he defined the difference-maker as the Spigot ferule as opposed to the more traditional one. I spend as much time in my now world-famous garage as Gunsmoke and MrBill spend on their flying bridges :) and have pulled 25 pounds of drag on it out there with no problem. It didn't hurt my confidence level that Randy bought one too.

You may think I'm pretty sophisticated having been able to read Japanese on their website, so I won't tell you that what did the trick was seeing a picture of the rod in two pieces. :cool:

Russ

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

d-a: If you have looked at the butt joint on your 80P/35, just that sight should be pretty convincing that if that rod were to break anywhere, it would not be there. And then, just think about it--that is the weak sister of the Japanese popping rods. Smith makes the much heavier Tokara 60 and Komodo Dragon, both of which are wusses compared to the Carpenter Wild Violence--all of which (I think I am right in saying this)--are butt joint rods.
    Russ

Uncle Russ

I havent seen the rod yet, although I have owned it over a month.:eek:

d-a

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I would like to clarify, that Kil was stating that the finished ROD weighed in at 9oz, not the blank. I just got a chance to bend it, and it is indeed as light as a feather for an 8' blank. It's about to be built for Kil by his builder, Ralphie S aka Rodwinder.
    Yes, the blank weighs only 5 1/2 oz. :eek: I am going to decide whether to ask rodwinder to build conventional jigging rod or popping rod. I might do both. :)
    Nice to see you and Matt again today. Give some pressure to Matt to go to Nicaragua. :)
    It looks the areas he fished are like virgin territories for jigging and popping.