Popping Rod Alternatives

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by hamptonsurf, Jul 12, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I am also lookin at getting a new popping rod. I like the SNIPERS, but I do not like fighting fish n such long rods, unless there is a fly at the end of the line. I'd like to find something for about 250-300 bucks that is like the OTI Popping Rod. I'd rather not get that rod as I don't like the cut out grips.

What other comparable alternatives are out there? I love my dragonfly jigging rods, but they can only cast short distances for me in a pinch and as far as I know, they don;t make anything longer than about 6 feet. I think 7 - 7 1/2 feet it the right length.

2. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I am also lookin at getting a new popping rod. I like the SNIPERS, but I do not like fighting fish n such long rods, unless there is a fly at the end of the line. I'd like to find something for about 250-300 bucks that is like the OTI Popping Rod. I'd rather not get that rod as I don't like the cut out grips.

What other comparable alternatives are out there? I love my dragonfly jigging rods, but they can only cast short distances for me in a pinch and as far as I know, they don;t make anything longer than about 6 feet. I think 7 - 7 1/2 feet it the right length.
    If you get the oti rod. The outer grip can come off and there is a hypalon grip underneath.
    On my first oti popping rod I took the out off and really liked the small diameter grip that was underneath.
    My favorite grip is just plain tennis racket tape. I would seal the laps with a thin strip of epoxy and it would last forever...

3. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

You can try the OTI Ocean Xtreme series of rods as they are 7'6" instead of 8'6" like the Sniper. The Sniper is an awesome rod as with the extra length you really increase your casting distance. The Xtreme series has some very beefy rods in the 60-80 class and should be the ticket for what you like. There are a zillion other options but the OTI's have truly proven themselves over the past several months and I have the Sniper based on those reports and love it. Can't wait to hookup with it and really put the boots to the BFT.

4. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Caranx by Shimano is another proven popper rod. My buddys overseas have 3 or 4 of them and love what they get in regards to performance. You are buying online right?

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you could also get the OTI rod custom wrapped with grips of your choice

6. hamptonsurf

I do generally buy online....I am in NH, so shops carrying these things are not exactly local. I will check out the shimano rods.

Do you contact OTI directly for custom rods? or do I just need to locate a blank and have someone do it for me?

7. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Paul at JPR rods can make you a custom OTI rod. I was going to have one built by him but family issues and a few other things changed my mind for me...

8. hamptonsurf

I have no experience with JPR rods.....anyone have any insights?

9. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I have no experience with JPR rods.....anyone have any insights?

Paul has done an excellent job for me.

I would say approach a custom rod build with some experience. You need to know what you want and be able to tell the builder all aspects of it. Paul does an excellent job of asking the right questions and guiding you through the process, but you need to have most of the answers.

I would buy a stock OTI popper from Paul and use it before ever building a custom. Then you will know what you want, plus you will have one to use while you wait for your custom build to be completed.

The you can turn over your original one on the trading board or keep it for a loaner/backup.

My.02 and insight

10. hamptonsurf

Thanks....points well taken.