popping rod $3-$400 needed

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by my03, Dec 8, 2008.

1. my03

my03 Member

hey guys, I need a popper rod for casting 120-180 gram baits rated pe6-8 about 8 ft long,

I'm prepared to spend 3-400 bucks, the oti looks great but if after something a tad longer as i will be fishing landbased as well.

Are there any other rods other in a similar price range and standard?

Thanks

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

the OTI are nice. and 2pc
    there are also other choices but most are 1pc rods.

3. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

ocean tackle international has a new 8' 6" rod that will do the job. not sure if tj has it on the website yet but we checked it out at the party at brets last night. that extra foot adds the distance to get it beyond the lighting on the big e.....rick

4. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

I would reccommend the oti 8'6 as well i have used the prototype and was really impressed lifted 70# tuna with ease and cast very far.

Tuna in my avatar was landed with one in about 5-10 minutes.

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

What is the overall length of the upper section of the 8'6 rod when broken down into two pieces?

Just wondering if it will fit in a certain air travel case.

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

What is the overall length of the upper section of the 8'6 rod when broken down into two pieces?

You should ask Crazyjigr, he has the first production one and could tell you exact measurements.

d-a

7. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

The 8'6' rod broken down to 6' top section and 2'6" butt section and it's lighter than our current 7'6" rods.

Doug, how do you like the rod?

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

are the rods out yet?

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The 8'6' rod broken down to 6' top section and 2'6" butt section and it's lighter than our current 7'6" rods.

Doug, how do you like the rod?

TJ

Jim wouldn't let me near it:mad: , but if its anything like all the other OTI products it will be a huge success.

The fact that you are getting a great quality rod with TI guides for under $400 is going to be a hit in its self:D

Now i did love the new 400g proto-type and it handled everything i threw at it with out a hitch plus it was light enough for all day jigging.

d-a

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

are the rods out yet?

Not yet but soon from what I have heard.

d-a

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

TJ, is that exactly 72" on the top section when the top section is removed from the butt section? I'm not being picky, I just need to know if it will fit in a certain case I will be taking with me in a few weeks to Costa Rica. That is if the rod is available now.

This might be a great rod for tossing lighter roosterfish lures if it is available in a 50# class rod. I've been told the farther you can cast the better. They have started seeing some 50-65# roosters lately. Is this available in both 50# and 80# class? I just bought a new 8000SW Stella and the 50# rod would be a nice companion for the 8000SW.

12. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i want a 400g spinning. where do i sign up?

13. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

TJ, is that exactly 72" on the top section when the top section is removed from the butt section? I'm not being picky, I just need to know if it will fit in a certain case I will be taking with me in a few weeks to Costa Rica. That is if the rod is available now.

This might be a great rod for tossing lighter roosterfish lures if it is available in a 50# class rod. I've been told the farther you can cast the better. They have started seeing some 50-65# roosters lately. Is this available in both 50# and 80# class? I just bought a new 8000SW Stella and the 50# rod would be a nice companion for the 8000SW.

It's exactly 72" for the top section and the butt section is 34".
    Tuna Sniper will be available in 40-60lb and 60-80lb class. Shipment is schedule to arrive on December 22, 2008.

Andrew,

400g rod will be available Spring 2009, we are still working on it.

14. my03

my03 Member

are there any plans for a 8ft model rated 60-80lb?

and for those that have used the 7ft6, which rod will i need to be able to cast 120-200 gram baits effectivley? im afraid if i buy the 60lb it will be too soft for a 180g lure? just want to hear it from soneone who's used them rather than the lure rating on paper

thanks

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

180g lure is a pretty heavy lure that you will need heavy rod for.
    the 60lb is prob too light for 180g lure.

16. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

ill be waiting in line.. thanks

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

are there any plans for a 8ft model rated 60-80lb?

and for those that have used the 7ft6, which rod will i need to be able to cast 120-200 gram baits effectivley? im afraid if i buy the 60lb it will be too soft for a 180g lure? just want to hear it from soneone who's used them rather than the lure rating on paper

thanks

The 80lb rods will handle the lure weights you want to cast.

d-a

18. my03

my03 Member

thanks guys, will the 80lb model still be able to cast 120g lures effectivly?

do you guys think the longer models are capable of much more casting distance or will the 7ft 6 suffice? reason being i will be landbased and want to cast as long as possible. hgowever i think the 8ft 6 would be too long for fighting fish and for working poppers, any plans for something in between like a 8ft?

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Yes it will, most of my lures I use with the OTI are 110-140g. The 8'6 is perfect for them.

d-a

20. my03

my03 Member

thanks buddy, i take it you have the 80lb 7ft6?